Saw Rush last night... and a Little Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Saw Rush last night... and a Little Phatty

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Rush came to town last night, and I saw them with a friend. They put on quite a show, I was impressed. I spotted a Little Phatty Stage atop a Roland Fantom X7 on stage, and Geddy had a couple pedal units on the floor too, but I couldn't ID them.

He used the LP for leads in Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, and a couple other songs. I thought it was a bit thin sounding compared to the Minimoog. Maybe it was just the programming, or EQ applied to it, it didn't have that bottom end that the original Mini had.

In some parts of the show there were synth parts that Geddy wasn't playing, or maybe he was triggering them with the pedals. It didn't look like he was actually playing the sweep part in Tom Sawyer, just the lead part. So maybe some parts were prerecorded, sequenced, or there was an offstage keyboard player?

Anyone else here see any of their shows on their Snakes & Arrows tour?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Its no doubt sequenced. They've never used an auxillary keys player.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

keb
Gear: Alesis Ion, Yamaha DX7II-D, Moog Taurus (Mk I)

Post by keb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:22 am

Geddy and Alex Lifeson both have some old Korg MIDI bass pedals at their disposal (which supplanted the Taurus pedals they used to use, one of them modded with CV outs to trigger Geddy's various Oberheims in the old days)... they use those to trigger sequences and whatnot. Neil Peart also gets into the sequence-trigger act via triggers mounted on his drumkit.

My wife wants me to get a Little Phatty after hearing Geddy's on the two shows we saw together. :D

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:28 am

Oh honey, that little phatty was soooo good. Come now dear, please get a little phatty... Please?

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:07 am

Lucky, I'd love to see Rush. That and Van Halen. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 am

A keyboard player who played with Blue Oyster Cult in the 80's told me about a tour they did with Rush. He said one day Geddy switched from his 61-note or shorter keyboards to a 76-key controller and asked the roadies to tape it off to mark the shorter range he was familiar with. Not to take anything away from Geddy as he is a very talented musician, but apparently he isn't quite the keyboard virtuoso some of us may have thought he was.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 am

I saw them from the fourth row last August, I'm always amazed at how closely thier live sound matches their studio recordings. :shock:

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:52 am

V301H wrote:...asked the roadies to tape it off to mark the shorter range he was familiar with. Not to take anything away from Geddy as he is a very talented musician, but apparently he isn't quite the keyboard virtuoso some of us may have thought he was.

Eh, that really doesn't take anything away from my admiration of him. He's a pro at what he does - bass, pedals, keys and vocals in a rock band - I don't expect him to start playing chopin for me.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 am

V301H wrote:Not to take anything away from Geddy as he is a very talented musician, but apparently he isn't quite the keyboard virtuoso some of us may have thought he was.
Yeah, he's not the greatest keyboardist (better than he's often given credit for though, I think), but he manages to do it while singing, playing virtuosic bass, and working his footpedals--I'll give him a break. :wink:
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

keb
Gear: Alesis Ion, Yamaha DX7II-D, Moog Taurus (Mk I)

Post by keb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:46 pm

He's pretty modest about his keyboard skills... I remember many years ago he won some magazine award/poll for best rock keyboardist (or something) and though he said he was honored, he couldn't quite understand it because he didn't think he was that great of a keyboard player.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:57 pm

keb wrote:My wife wants me to get a Little Phatty after hearing Geddy's on the two shows we saw together. :D
I wish my wife would say that to me! 8)
Box wrote:Lucky, I'd love to see Rush. That and Van Halen. :P
I saw Van Halen in May. ;) They weren't as good as Rush though.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Yeah, saw them for, I believe, the Counterparts tour and they are tight.
Too futurist to live.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Saw Rush last night... and a Little Phatty

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:34 pm

I've seen Rush five times and it was always a blast.
Synthaholic wrote: He used the LP for leads in Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, and a couple other songs. I thought it was a bit thin sounding compared to the Minimoog. Maybe it was just the programming, or EQ applied to it, it didn't have that bottom end that the original Mini had.
maybe i'm confused, but if the LP was being used for leads then how would you be able to compare it's bottom end to another synth that isn't even there?
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:13 pm

shaft9000 wrote:maybe i'm confused, but if the LP was being used for leads then how would you be able to compare it's bottom end to another synth that isn't even there?
He used the Minimoog in the original (studio) versions of those songs, and it had a meaty bottom end on it, that the LP lacked in the concert.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Synthaholic wrote:Rush came to town last night, and I saw them with a friend. They put on quite a show, I was impressed. I spotted a Little Phatty Stage atop a Roland Fantom X7 on stage, and Geddy had a couple pedal units on the floor too, but I couldn't ID them.

He used the LP for leads in Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, and a couple other songs. I thought it was a bit thin sounding compared to the Minimoog. Maybe it was just the programming, or EQ applied to it, it didn't have that bottom end that the original Mini had.

In some parts of the show there were synth parts that Geddy wasn't playing, or maybe he was triggering them with the pedals. It didn't look like he was actually playing the sweep part in Tom Sawyer, just the lead part. So maybe some parts were prerecorded, sequenced, or there was an offstage keyboard player?

Anyone else here see any of their shows on their Snakes & Arrows tour?

I saw the band a year ago on the first leg of the S&N tour. Excellent show featuring some sonic chestnuts ("Entre Nous" & "Circumstances") from Geddy Lee's analog monosynth days.

I was happy to see Lee update his live rig, too, which means he is at least thinking about synth world, although the album, S&N, surprisingly lacks any return to the keyboard. This seems contradictory, since Lifeson has become as overloaded and sludgy with layers of guitar effects as Lee ever was with pads of synthesizers.

If Lee would have used the LP for just a few lead lines and fills here and there, the way he used to play keys during Permanwent Waves period, the record would have a much more artistically relevant and contemporary feel to it. As it stands, S&N sounds like RUSH going through the motions, playing T4E (Test for Echo) on steroids.

:?

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100