DURAN DURAN Save A Prayer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:16 am

The sequence was made using a Roland CSQ-100 or 600 and a SH2

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:42 am

yup..
waveterm's right - sh2 for the sequences on SAP

..and the arpeggio on rio is the jp4 where-as the arpeggio on hungry like the wolf was a jp8
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:42 am

Ah yes Duran Duran, that well known goth band along with Spandau Ballet...and there was me thinking they were the leaders of the New romatic crowd..

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 am

I guess you have seen this effort to create that sound??

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:53 am

voicedood wrote:yup..

..and the arpeggio on rio is the jp4 where-as the arpeggio on hungry like the wolf was a jp8
The arpeggio on 'Hungary like the wolf' was also the Jupter-4. The 'Rio' arpeggio sound is actually one if the 10 presets, the Bass one. You can also here this sound on 'Friends of mine'.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:

The arpeggio on 'Hungary like the wolf' was also the Jupter-4. The 'Rio' arpeggio sound is actually one if the 10 presets, the Bass one. You can also here this sound on 'Friends of mine'.
i would swear i read that HLTW was the JP8 and not the JP4..
i know rio was the JP4.. although VSE says otherwise, somewhere i have the article with nick saying how they processed his JP4 for that song.. and yeah, he did say it was the 'bass' preset..
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm

If you have a Nord Modular or G2 there is a really really good module that sounds exactly like it on electro-music.com

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:36 pm

voicedood wrote:
Analogue Crazy wrote:

i would swear i read that HLTW was the JP8 and not the JP4..
i know rio was the JP4.. although VSE says otherwise, somewhere i have the article with nick saying how they processed his JP4 for that song.. and yeah, he did say it was the 'bass' preset..

Here's a quote from Nick Rhodes which implies that he used the JP8, not the JP4, for the arpeggiated part on HLTW:

"...take something like the song "Hungry Like The Wolf" [from Rio]. I was in an EMI demo studio in London when I wrote that. We'd been up til some ridiculous hour of the night before, and I had struggled to get into the studio that morning. I thought that I'd get nothing done that day at all, so I sat by the Jupiter-8, pressed the hold button, put in an arpeggio, and just fiddled with the sound a bit. I started playing chords - one after the other, because you can't change them while its still on hold-and "Hungry Like The Wolf" was born within about half an hour. "

I may be wrong but I think Nick used the SH-2/CSQ-100 combo for that part when performing HLTW live back in '82 --just as he did on Save A Prayer.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:48 am

..soooo, if Micke's got my back on this, I win right?
:wink:

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:56 am

voicedood wrote:..soooo, if Micke's got my back on this, I win right?
:wink:
Yes! :)

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:29 pm

blueknob wrote:I guess you have seen this effort to create that sound??
yes, and others..

but i love howthe bass line is so creative.. now days, it seems to me that you dont find creative bass lines anymore..
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.