Just got a Roland D-550

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Just got a Roland D-550

Post by Architecture » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Just scored me one of these awesome beauties for 250 dollars with a memory card, Alesis Datadisk, and a manual.

Now I have a peice of classic digital LAS synth in my studio. Now I just need to stop gassing for a JD990.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Congratulations! The D-50/550 is one of my all-time favorites.

Next you need a PG-1000 so you can program it without having to use those little buttons.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.

Post by Architecture » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:02 pm

yep, just gotta track one down and im set.

This thing is sweet! This has offically staved off my hunger for a JD synth.

But I wish it was multitimbral.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:06 pm

There's a mod to make it multitimbral I believe. I've heard some people say they use a MT-32 for that while others make it seem like it's an internal mod.
Well fffff.

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 am

Well the first thing I can say is, I need the PG1000 programmer for this thing. Software editors just dont do it for me.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:31 am

store down the road from where i live has one for $199. (pg-1000 that is)

http://spacemanmusic.com/Keyboards/Othe ... ower+Price!*

is that a great price? I'm not sure so I'm linking them for you in case it is...

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:41 am

I tried to buy it, but it wont let me put it in my cart

I sent them a message about it, so hopefully they still have it.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Congratulations on a beautiful synth!

The multitimbral expansion card (which you must solder on the mainboard) is nothing to hold out for. What use could you have for it without having individual outputs? It only chops down the patches and sounds thin.

My D-50 had the upgrade when I bought it, but it has been of no use, and you have one more battery to change every now and then. A week ago I thought my D-50 had drawn its final breath. It wouldn't start at all, and the display showed only nonsense. I changed the mainboard battery last year, and had forgot about the expansion, so I was in the dark. But when I finally found it out and changed the battery, the D-50 was like new. Scared me good though.

bgi

Post by bgi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Architecture wrote:yep, just gotta track one down and im set.

This thing is sweet! This has offically staved off my hunger for a JD synth.

But I wish it was multitimbral.
Prepare to be assimilated. You're on the same road I was on about six months ago. I was so pumped when I got my D-550. It is sweet! A few weeks after I got my JD-990, the D-550 went in the closet!

There are two JD-990's on eBay right now.

You know you want it.

Oh yea, it's multi-timbral. And it sounds better. And the case is a lot smaller. :twisted: :twisted:
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:51 pm

bgi wrote:Prepare to be assimilated. You're on the same road I was on about six months ago. I was so pumped when I got my D-550. It is sweet! A few weeks after I got my JD-990, the D-550 went in the closet!
Sorry but i can't agree with that.

I have both units. Neither can D-550 sound like JD-990, neither can JD sound like D-550. They are two different sounding synthesizers. Not to mention they are two totally different engines. D-550 is a VA (virtual analog) synth with basic sample playback, JD is a classic rompler.

D-550 has one of the most unique sounds of all digitals, thanks to its low bit samples, aliasling artifacts and D/A converters that give a specific glass / crystal type of sound at the output. Plus it has one big feature: PWM (pulse width modulation, also available for saw). You can't even make a PWM on the JD-990. Then, D-550 has two independent stereo chorus processors, each for a pair of tones. All sorts of modulations are possible thanks to 6 LFOs. And the most charming part of D-550 is the primitive LA Synthesis made of lo-fi samples / transients that add that edge to the sound.

To tell that i can replace my D-550 with JD-990 would make no sense at all. Two different worlds, each superior on its own.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Architecture wrote:I tried to buy it, but it wont let me put it in my cart

I sent them a message about it, so hopefully they still have it.
yeah, email them / call them on monday, I don't think they do much business with people online, their website is more just for show so people come in the store to buy stuff.

bgi

Post by bgi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Don Solaris wrote:
bgi wrote:Prepare to be assimilated. You're on the same road I was on about six months ago. I was so pumped when I got my D-550. It is sweet! A few weeks after I got my JD-990, the D-550 went in the closet!
Sorry but i can't agree with that.

I have both units. Neither can D-550 sound like JD-990, neither can JD sound like D-550. They are two different sounding synthesizers. Not to mention they are two totally different engines. D-550 is a VA (virtual analog) synth with basic sample playback, JD is a classic rompler.

D-550 has one of the most unique sounds of all digitals, thanks to its low bit samples, aliasling artifacts and D/A converters that give a specific glass / crystal type of sound at the output. Plus it has one big feature: PWM (pulse width modulation, also available for saw). You can't even make a PWM on the JD-990. Then, D-550 has two independent stereo chorus processors, each for a pair of tones. All sorts of modulations are possible thanks to 6 LFOs. And the most charming part of D-550 is the primitive LA Synthesis made of lo-fi samples / transients that add that edge to the sound.

To tell that i can replace my D-550 with JD-990 would make no sense at all. Two different worlds, each superior on its own.
Chill, Don. I realize you're quite knowledgeable with respect to this gear and have learned much reading your posts. I never said what you're implying. All I said was that I put the D-550 in the closet. I didn't say why. I just like the JD better. Architecture said he was jonesing for a JD.

When I need some of those gritty D-550 sounds, I'll make room for it.

peace
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Sorry, i quoted the wrong part of message. I meant about the "better" part. Previously i found JD-990 much better, but then one day i got some patches from Analog Kid and it totally changed my mind (he has the biggest D-50 patch archive on the web). I was blown away when i heard some of those patches.

My advice is that you try these patches and your D-550 will never go back to closet. Guaranteed !!!

http://analogkid.us/Patches/Linear.zip - warning! A huge archive.

As of D-550 vs. JD 990. The equation is very simple. I will sell my D-550 that day when JD-990 will be able to sound like this:

Linear Drift - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Analog Kid
Green Crystals - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Paolo Di Nicolantonio
Seashore Morning - Roland D-550 only. Demo by Don Solaris

:wink:

bgi

Post by bgi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Don Solaris wrote:Sorry, i quoted the wrong part of message. I meant about the "better" part. Previously i found JD-990 much better, but then one day i got some patches from Analog Kid and it totally changed my mind (he has the biggest D-50 patch archive on the web). I was blown away when i heard some of those patches.

My advice is that you try these patches and your D-550 will never go back to closet. Guaranteed !!!

http://analogkid.us/Patches/Linear.zip - warning! A huge archive.

As of D-550 vs. JD 990. The equation is very simple. I will sell my D-550 that day when JD-990 will be able to sound like this:

Linear Drift - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Analog Kid
Green Crystals - Roland D-50 only. Demo by Paolo Di Nicolantonio
Seashore Morning - Roland D-550 only. Demo by Don Solaris

:wink:
Wowzers. These certainly sound interesting. :) I'll have to give that a go. Huge archive? No worries.

Another reason the 550 went in the closet was: I really don't have a good place to put rack modules. The JD, being smaller, can sit on my bookshelf above my monitor.

many thanks!

I'll still goad Architecture some until he gets a JD.

Architecture

Post by Architecture » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Holy c**p Don! Now you have offically made me really really happy about picking up this synth! I still want to program some of my own sounds still, just to say I can program a LAS synth.

This will put off my craving for a JD synth for a while.