Just got a Roland D-550

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm

That editor will never be finished. Looks promising, but it was updated last time in 02.

bgi

Post by bgi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:18 pm

D-Collector wrote:That editor will never be finished. Looks promising, but it was updated last time in 02.
Totally.

I'll see if the authors are willing to release the source code.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 am

that Paolo's track on D50 is freakin awesome!! envokes nostalgia for late 80s n early 90s - so many great film scores, and newage/ambient albums of that era were done with this machine (eric serra). unmistakable.

Don, do u happen to know if its all on-board reverb/delay on Paolo's track ?

i had d550 for a short while on tryout 2yrs ago, but just couldnt find time to program it, it had a real crappy sound bank, and sluggish envelopes turned me off (which in the end aint that important for the type of sound it excells at anyway). it never occured to me to look for online banks.. el cretino.. like i did with TX802.. that made it useful again in times of short deadlines..

congrats Arhitecture, you got best of Roland digitals with this pair. ;)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 am

Time for some ambient Techno! Good ambient techno that is.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:34 am

Architecture wrote:But I wish it was multitimbral.
there's always a D-110 for dead cheap :) off course it's not the big D, but it works for some simpler multitimbral LA sound. or may be, if a multitimbral D-550 really needed, there's an expansion for it. But make sure to read the pluses and minuses on the net about it. Some got no probs and happy about it, some have more probs than the joy. But it's the only way for a multitimbral D-550.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:50 am

Architecture wrote:is 355 dollars too much for a stock mint condition
imo it's a reasonable (considered good) price for one in such condition.
Architecture wrote:Will any of the other JV boards work with the machine?
yes, any SR-JV80 would work with it, but the Vintage board is the only one with a special dedicated banks which can be accessed just by the JD-990, and they're very good.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 am

waveterm wrote:You know, that´s why you need multiple PG´s. One for each tone.
:lol:
Still won't solve the problem. Because in single tone, PG-1000 is already one knob = two parameters. Just as you set your envelopes, you need to use same sliders for LFO, etc.

clusterchord wrote:Don, do u happen to know if its all on-board reverb/delay on Paolo's track ?
D-50 only. "Start Trek Voices" and a couple of other patches from original D-50 Voice Expansion cards. I got all 5 expansion in sys-ex.

bgi wrote:Which freeware D-50 editor, this one?
http://users.encounters.be/D50VE/feat.html
LOL! These guys will never finish this. But, they have the "beta" version which works ok.

http://users.encounters.be/D50VE/download.html

IIRC in editor Pulse wave selection does not work. That's the only thing you need to do manually on D-50. Don't know if this bug exists on D-550 because i use Soundquest which works fine.

bgi

Post by bgi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:50 pm

Don Solaris wrote: LOL! These guys will never finish this. But, they have the "beta" version which works ok.

http://users.encounters.be/D50VE/download.html

IIRC in editor Pulse wave selection does not work. That's the only thing you need to do manually on D-50. Don't know if this bug exists on D-550 because i use Soundquest which works fine.
I'll try the beta. I sent an email to see if they would release the source. Maybe we can get the bugs out. :) No SoundQuest here.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Don Solaris wrote:
waveterm wrote:You know, that´s why you need multiple PG´s. One for each tone.
:lol:
Still won't solve the problem. Because in single tone, PG-1000 is already one knob = two parameters. Just as you set your envelopes, you need to use same sliders for LFO, etc.

Aha...I forgot about that one !

You´ll need two for each tone then !!

lol

I´ve found a PG today and it should be on its way tomorrow.

Also found a D-550 today so I guess that leaves 3 other PG´s to be found then.
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 am

Don Solaris wrote:I got all 5 expansion in sys-ex.
I just happily got the PN-D50-00, so I didn't have to say good bye to that Fantasia again :)

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 am

One of the good things on expanding the D50 with a MEX is that you have more banks available. I have the standard MEX and a card... so in total I have the Internal bank, the card bank, the X bank and the Y bank (XY are the MEX bank). But MEX can handle 2 more extra banks giving 4 banks in total. Quite enough to store all the best patches out there.

The multitimbral feature... is well... a trick... you can split all the part on different midi channel... who cares... today everybody records on audio track so... everything became multitimbral... :D

Too bad my D550 has the backlight gone...

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:32 am

mao wrote:Too bad my D550 has the backlight gone...
Every D-550 backlight should be gone by now (unless it was replaced by someone). Luckily the EL foil costs 25 EUR and takes 15 minutes to replace it. If you are in Europe, you might check this company:

http://www.midi-rakete.de/eng/preise.htm

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm not sure it's the EL foil... the backlight was good and a day while plying ... puffff... no more backlight.... The text is visible, the LCD is ok... it's only the backlight that is no more there (not dimmed... it's OFF). A technician said to me that it could be 3 different things and it's about 100 euro to have the thing fixed. I suspect he is not so sure what he is talking about.

Can be simply the EL foil ?

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:13 pm

EL foils dim gradually over time. If it went from "lit" to "dark" quickly, it's either a loose connection or the inverter (on the power supply) went out.

I replaced the foil on my D-550 a few months ago:

I need to order one for my MKS-80.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:31 pm

mao wrote:One of the good things on expanding the D50 with a MEX is that you have more banks available. I have the standard MEX and a card... so in total I have the Internal bank, the card bank, the X bank and the Y bank (XY are the MEX bank). But MEX can handle 2 more extra banks giving 4 banks in total. Quite enough to store all the best patches out there.
How? I have the MEX expansion but have never been able to access the extra memory banks. I have tried everything :?