moog prodigy rescued from neglective guitarist

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: moog prodigy rescued from neglective guitarist

Post by Solderman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 pm

whiteyhouston wrote:even the venerable moog filter seemed pretty wimpy and completely dropped the low end once opened up
the prodigy has the same 24db ladder filter as the mini right??
I read somewhere the Mini's design for resonance is not constant Q, so as cutoff approaches the bottom end of the spectrum(with an envelope or LFO filter sweep) resonance starts to decrease. Try just manual sweeps at different resonance settings with no envelope and see if it has da ballz.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am

xpander wrote:it's so powerful, 288 preset z-plane filters with documentation is hard to pass up.
The Morpheus manual book is the best from all manual I have. Those filters is a gem, unpredictable at time, but they are powerful.
xpander wrote:pretty much infinitely programmable for new sounds.
that would be the right words for the synth, not to mention layering those sound in the performance mode.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:35 am

so.. while I still think it's a limited synth, I am fully in love with this little bastard!

ok.. wow.. I get it now..

I spent a good chunk of today recording some little demos with it and I'm kind of stunned by how fat and big it is... and that's just one oscillator..

feel free to give me one of these: :roll:

sheeesh

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 am

I would also never give mine...i know Minimoog has much more possibilities, the Prodigy is very very limited, but sometimes, less is more. Perfect for live playing. You have a strong bass, you can change the sound in 2 seconds from a bass to a creamy lead sound with portamento...

I have the model with CV / Gate. And i can tell you it make wonderful bass sequences with my step sequencer. :wink:
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:40 am

xpander-just noticed your location and remembered i sold my juno 106 to a guy in L.G. was it you? we met at the guitar center in san jose. just wondering. I recall the guy telling me he was on VSE but dont remember his username.
sorry-didnt me to go OT..
carry on..
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:58 am

spookyman wrote: I have the model with CV / Gate. And i can tell you it make wonderful bass sequences with my step sequencer. :wink:
You're absolutely right about sequencing with it, one of the best 2 osc bassline killers. I've been borrowing a friends indefinitely for those purposes. 8)

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:17 am

c1t1zen wrote:
spookyman wrote: I have the model with CV / Gate. And i can tell you it make wonderful bass sequences with my step sequencer. :wink:
You're absolutely right about sequencing with it, one of the best 2 osc bassline killers. I've been borrowing a friends indefinitely for those purposes. 8)
Mine is one of the pre-CV/gate models but a previous owner modified it with CV/gate inputs..... it's a godsend! If not for those inputs I would probably have sold mine a while ago. Basslines? Prodigy.
Monkey business since 2007!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:25 am

voicedood wrote:xpander-just noticed your location and remembered i sold my juno 106 to a guy in L.G. was it you? we met at the guitar center in san jose. just wondering. I recall the guy telling me he was on VSE but dont remember his username.
i actually got my 106 for free, i spotted it in a friend's storage shed on their santa cruz mountains estate... it had bugs living in it!