Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

except for the old analog roland TRs and TBs, what could lead somebody to NOT use logic's ultrabeat: this thing has everything ! a great sequencer grouped with a 3 oscillators full synth ! you can mold your sound exactly as your wish, and then track it into a sequence.... just like any old hi hat sound...

i would expect ultrabeat to be the nec plus ultra in terms of drum machines. the thing to put all drum machine makers out of business. yet i expect many people to tell me dedicated drum machines is what they use and prefer. (again not talking about the x0x boxes)

is this a user interface issue (computer vs box) ? a sound issue ?

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:08 am

i don't use a drum machine at all either.. i was using drums from my AN200 and later an SH32, but software is just so much easier.. i am not sure what the sound differences really are.. hardware seems to be loud and full all the time while software gets drowned out.. but i am probably just not mixing properly..
right now my drums are all Audiorealism Drum Machine (software VST) :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 am

Ya, software is mostly better. 98% I would say.

But I wouldn't disregard hardware entirely:
A Roland box with the grid on it has its uses, and stuff like the TR505 and TR626 are very cheap and fun.
Nothing else sounds like the Machinedrum.
The feel and sequencer quirks on the Roland R8 are cool, although the MIDI on those is a nightmare.
I have a Roland SPD-11, which sounds larger than life with a digital edge, it's a cool sound quality.

So really I suppose, the answer is "a bit of both!".

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:29 am

sound & strength of sound...and ease of use.

ultrabeat is killer, don't get me wrong. BUT, the jomox 999/888 smoke it in terms of ease of use + strength of sound.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 am

I'll stick to hardware. nothing is a bigger turnoff than having to do everything on a screen. and I don't want to drag my laptop out for live shows (if that day ever comes)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:59 am

I'm using the sound of the Waldorf Attack, but for the Drum Machine, I like to use the RS7000 and the AN200. Not really into a software drum machine.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Software is ok, but I prefer hardware several times more. I feel very disabled when I only have one mouse click at a time, instead of ten fingers. I feel more concentrated when having it between my fingers, besides the ease of making quick tweakings. Mostly I also find it more simple working with a hardware drummachine. Software is often stuffed with c**p I don't use anyway, which just confuses and annoys me in the end.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:10 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote: what could lead somebody to NOT use logic's ultrabeat: this thing has everything ! is this a user interface issue (computer vs box) ? a sound issue ?
Logic only runs on Macs for one thing :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Some of us like drum machines like some people like synths on here... I mean, why doesn't everyone use softsynths instead of hardware synth? ... there are softsynths that offer more parameters than hardware synths too. It is because we prefer a interface design exactly for that machines OS or circuits.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:25 pm

I take it you havent lost hours sitting in your room with a just a drum machine and pair of headphones.

I guess you can do the same with software drum machines.

As long as it sounds good does it really matter in the end.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:34 pm

yeah, it doesn't really matter to be honest. I like external hw, but then again this is vse...to be honest there isn't a quality difference between hw and sw. just a preference difference. for example I like big booming kicks, and for me, external hw sounds the best. however, for modern trance a booming kick could drown out the rest of the mix, so might not make as much sense. Or, if one was looking for a more acoustic sound, then a jomox box is pretty much the last place you'd want to look (although it can get close, no knock there).

aeon

Re: Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Post by aeon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:43 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:what could lead somebody to NOT use logic's ultrabeat:
  1. Not owning a modern version of Logic
  2. Owning an Elektron MachineDrum SPS-1UW
  3. The sound of the JoMoX MBase01
  4. Creating percussives on a modular
  5. Using a Roland Octapad for hands-on drumming
  6. Using physical modeling and waveguide sounds
stuff like that. :wink:

cheers,
Ian

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:45 pm

what everyone else said, and also, people simply like owning gear, me included.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:50 pm

I stare at a computer screen at day job work ALL DAY . . . When I go home, or to the studio, I want that work to PLAY . . . an instrument . . . and while soft synths and rhythm sequencers are instruments, these are not musical devices with parts you one can press, tap, or twist.

Would Paganini want to take the stage and roll a mouse and stare at a MAC screen and play virtual violin? . . . I think not, and whilst I am no Paganini on violin, or any other instrument, I still want to play an instrument I have to touch to make sound.

I saw Thomas Dolby and BT play a "battle for sonic supremacy" in December 2006. Both rigs sounded awesome, but Dolby was the entertainer, playing keys, engaging audience, whilst BT stared at a screen the entire time, rolling a mouse, oblivious to the audience.

Dolby won . . . that round.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I DO NOT WANT TO DEPEND ON A COMPUTER FOR MY DRUM SOUNDS
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."