Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:30 am

crystalmsc wrote:I'm using the sound of the Waldorf Attack, but for the Drum Machine, I like to use the RS7000 and the AN200. Not really into a software drum machine.
Right on brotha! I just picked up an RS from space6oy a while ago and I love it. Not a big fan of the little keys but I hooked up an Oxygen8 so I can enjoy the benefits of velocity without having to use those two pads.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Attack is a force to be reckoned with. An extremely powerful sounding drum machine for those crazy electronic sounds. I haven't used it in a while though. Too much hardware to enjoy!
Hardware drum machines are great. Software is great to but in my little studio, I flip the power on, push play (after the LP warms up) then just start tweaking and improvising. More fun for me this way.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:17 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote:except for the old analog roland TRs and TBs,
Why do you make an exception for these?
Personally I use a Yamaha RS7000 + various trackers for drums. Both these approaches are great, and have their own benefits.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:47 am

I do love my RS7000 the best piece of gear in the universe, it is so far beyond a simple drum machine. Anyway, I think if it was a choice between some crappy old drum machines and some modern software on a nice computer platform that also has a few bult in synth tracks as well, no doubt in my mind that I'd choose the new software and computer.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't use a drum machine, but I probably would if I had one (one of my favourites is the Alesis HR-16). What I do nowadays is use the limited drum simulator(s) in my Cubase SE3 program, trigger Korg 05rw kits w/ MIDI keyboards and play my drummer's Yamaha DTXPress III electronic kit.

But like I said, if I had a hardware drum machine, I bet I'd use it, even if I didn't keep the loops in the final mix.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:07 pm

I wouldn't mind owning an early LinnDrum (for only retro reaons though). I guess there is a difference when the sample set is restricted to what it is, the timebase of the unit is unique and allegedgly "a bit off" (even if not that detactable by ear), and the interface also sets its own restrictions so that you just won't veer to far off from the original idea. I still use an outdated piece of software ("leafDrums", not even VST) myself - sometimes the ability to import as many sounds as I want and use an unlimited amount of tracks can be sort of a disadvantage.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Why stick to one thing when you can have the best of both worlds? :roll:

I would never use "only hardware" or "only software". Both have too much to offer.

Drumatic3 is a really good free drum synthesizer VST. It's great for kicks. MicrotonicVST is good as well but not free. I mix that with some MPC / ESX sample action and then run some analog hihats from the Boss Dr.110 while the ER-1 runs along with some mad percussion sequences. And don't forget that awesome 707 cowbell 8)

I'm reeeally GASing for an Octapad and a Machinedrum.
Monkey business since 2007!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:39 pm

A hardware drum machine is the best device ever invented IMHO. They are just so fun to use and play with. Without drum machines, I'd just be playing an acoustic guitar.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Re: Drum machines: hardware or software ?

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:33 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:except for the old analog roland TRs and TBs, what could lead somebody to NOT use logic's ultrabeat: this thing has everything ! a great sequencer grouped with a 3 oscillators full synth ! you can mold your sound exactly as your wish, and then track it into a sequence.... just like any old hi hat sound...

i would expect ultrabeat to be the nec plus ultra in terms of drum machines. the thing to put all drum machine makers out of business. yet i expect many people to tell me dedicated drum machines is what they use and prefer. (again not talking about the x0x boxes)

is this a user interface issue (computer vs box) ? a sound issue ?
I only use my computer for recording. I feel like that gives everything a looser feeling, which I like. I have two main problems with computers for music. The usually sound too sterile and I feel like I programming with a 5 foot stick. There's just nothing like making analog-synced beats.
so what do I put down here now?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:21 am

JSRockit wrote:A hardware drum machine is the best device ever invented IMHO. They are just so fun to use and play with. Without drum machines, I'd just be playing an acoustic guitar.
let me give a "hear hear" to that brotha...
Do you even post on vse bro?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:23 am

Sexor wrote:Drumatic3 is a really good free drum synthesizer VST. It's great for kicks.
Yes E-phonics VSTs are great. Drumatic 3 is just perfect for my 606/808/909 needs. And so much tweakability! Invader is also a super softsynth.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:50 am

D-Collector wrote:
Sexor wrote:Drumatic3 is a really good free drum synthesizer VST. It's great for kicks.
Yes E-phonics VSTs are great. Drumatic 3 is just perfect for my 606/808/909 needs. And so much tweakability! Invader is also a super softsynth.
Yeah! Tweakability! That's the word of the day. Every single parameter can be automated in your sequencer... awesome!
Monkey business since 2007!

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Here's a simple concept....
Sequencing other gear.

One of my EMU P2500s/CSs is dedicated to drum duties. It itself serves as a drum synth (yes I actually create drum patches with it, often times in much the same manner I would with one of my analog synths or VAs), but it's also paired up with an Novation SNII and Alesis Fusion.

In some cases, the immediacy it offers me in regard to creating and manipulating sequences I simply have not found even close to a match for in the software realm.

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:15 pm

My drum programming really got better when i got Fxpansion Guru and an Akai MPD24.

Even though Guru is more limited in terms of sound sculpting than Battery, Guru GUI matches so well with the Akai MPD24. And guru pattern switching is pretty neat too.

As far for owning hardware drum machines, the only reason to own them is for their sound only. I have the ER-1 for the sounds it makes. But it might get be replaced by micro tonic

I might get a Jomox Mbase01 for the kick sounds and process it through a sherman filterbank or analogue FX pedal.

The whole point for me is that software is more practical in terms of recall features.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Cerebral Infect wrote:I might get a Jomox Mbase01 for the kick sounds and process it through a sherman filterbank or analogue FX pedal.
Go for it. I love sending my JoMoX MBase01 into analog pedals and then into a filter to create new drum sounds that are more snare- and hat-like.

cheers,
Ian

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:03 pm

drum machines are fun.
working with the limitations of an instrument can be rewarding.