Jomox 888 bugs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
voltageHead

Jomox 888 bugs?

Post by voltageHead » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 pm

I have been thinking about buying a jomox xbase 888.
I have heard that there are some bugs in it.
I was wondering what some of the bugs that people have encountered are.
The 888 looks sweet.I like the tr interface and style of it.
There also has also been some bug fix os updates.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 am

More of a design flaw then a bug, but the interface needs work.... bad. Basically if you want to edit the sounds you have to exit out of pattern or song mode, then select edit. This makes live tweaks not really happening. I suppose there is a way around this to get it to work, but it is nowhere near what it should be.

radam

Post by radam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 am

synth3tik wrote:More of a design flaw then a bug, but the interface needs work.... bad. Basically if you want to edit the sounds you have to exit out of pattern or song mode, then select edit. This makes live tweaks not really happening. I suppose there is a way around this to get it to work, but it is nowhere near what it should be.
what are you talking about? i can live tweak the s**t out my 888

As an owner of both a Mk2 machinedrum and the 888, i can say that the 888's interface is not quite as immediately straightforward as an elektron- but it has grown on me. There are advantages and faults on both machines. After owning the 888 for a couple of weeks, I can say that I will never ever ever ever let it go. It just sounds so good. It takes some skilled effort to get it to sound bad.
record everything

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 am

I really want an 888 but I was worried that it would have too many problems.
I use a tr606 ,tr707 ,esx and er1 for xox style stuff.
I was hoping that the 888 would have kinda 808 and 909 style sounds
and be able to do the 16 step and sequencing stuff.
I think that i am going to go with 888 sometime soon.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:30 am

yeah I wouldn't gig with it. but plenty of machinedrum bugs/crashes out there too.

When I bought my old 888 it was buggy on the first power up, if you do certain things it will bug out. like if you go to execute a command then forget and continue to jam it will bug out because it's still waiting to do the command while you've gone on tweaking and you'll get weird bugs on the screen with the wrong parameters/numbers being displayed.

my long drum machine quest in the end has brought me to the 808, which costs about the same. I find the 808 to be much more punchy and alive, I did enjoy owning the 888 but in the end the all analog sound of the 808 just is the bomb and the kick drum is really the only thing I miss from jomox.

The new noise feature is pretty cool on the 888 but kind of drones the harmonics on one pitch which you can't change. So if you're using the noise part tonally it kinda sucks when you want to play in a different key.

I think the toms on the jomox suck! Like deep flabby farts compared to the punchy 808 and vermona drm1 toms. I also don't like the snare, sampled clap and sampled hi hats. As far as sampling it's not like you can do that much with the samples... and it is pretty easy to make the 888 sound bad just play the demo patterns and samples. :lol:

I do kind of miss it...

I would def. consider getting another one, they have gone down a bit in price but a used one for $1200 would be much more appetizing to me...
for sale/trade: EML-101

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:06 am

nadafarms wrote:yeah I wouldn't gig with it. but plenty of machinedrum bugs/crashes out there too.

When I bought my old 888 it was buggy on the first power up, if you do certain things it will bug out.
err... what?

nadafarms wrote: I think the toms on the jomox suck! Like deep flabby farts compared to the punchy 808 and vermona drm1 toms. I also don't like the snare, sampled clap and sampled hi hats. As far as sampling it's not like you can do that much with the samples... and it is pretty easy to make the 888 sound bad just play the demo patterns and samples. :lol:
1. yep. the toms do suck. a lot. and they are a tremendous waste of 2 instrument spaces

2. i don't see how you can fault the samples when you can swap them out over MIDI??
:roll:
god elton can't you suck

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 am

I look for an 808 sometimes maybe I should just keep looking for an 808.
I already have an mbase.so maybe I would not gain that much from an xbase 888.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:59 am

if you want the 808/909 sound...just buy one, samples never do them justice. I have a collection of great 808 samples, they still dont sound as good as the machine itself. And the feel of the 808 and 909 can not be experienced by other machines.....there is just something about it.
Last edited by wiss on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:59 am

I was just saying that the machinedrums have bugs too so it's not like there is any drum machine out there doesn't and the 888 isn't really thaaaaat buggy.

In my opinion I don't think it's worth using as a sampler because there is nothing you can do with the samples in there that is very exciting, at least compared to elektron or soon to be linn drumII. I mean running them through analog filters and changing the pitch big deal I don't need a $1500 drum machine to get some trashy samples through cheap sounding analog filters.

The kick rocks on the 888, I wish the mbase01 was as good as the 888 kick...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:01 am

wiss is right.

I just spent my first really long day with my 808 and then played a couple tracks where I was using samples and I couldn't believe how cheap and dead it sounded. Gotta have the real thang.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:30 pm

voltageHead wrote:I look for an 808 sometimes maybe I should just keep looking for an 808.
I already have an mbase.so maybe I would not gain that much from an xbase 888.

an 888 is not an 808. don't buy into the "jomox is a substitute for 808/909." they're not. BUT they do have some pretty pissin kick drums.

i would also add that the snare on the 888 doesnt suck so much as it's hard to find a sweet spot--the metallic noise function, when applied to the snare, is as useless as the toms. when you DO hit that spot where you get a tight little snare and double it up with one of the claps, it will make your kitty hiss 8)
god elton can't you suck

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm buying an 888 this week. I like the Jomox kick drum, I like that I can add my own samples (even if only short ones), and I like that it is analog...since I already have a great digital sounding machine. If the snare truly sucks, I'll use samples. I'm not afraid to use samples. I'm not looking to own an 808...and it is a drum machine, so how bad can the interface be?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:45 pm

JSRockit wrote:I'm buying an 888 this week. I like the Jomox kick drum, I like that I can add my own samples (even if only short ones), and I like that it is analog...since I already have a great digital sounding machine. If the snare truly sucks, I'll use samples. I'm not afraid to use samples. I'm not looking to own an 808...and it is a drum machine, so how bad can the interface be?
the interface isn't that bad, but it's certainly not a machinedrum
god elton can't you suck

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:48 pm

mome rath wrote: the interface isn't that bad, but it's certainly not a machinedrum
I read the manual and it just seems like you have to pick the right mode in order for it to work in real time...and that parameter locks are a little less immediate. No big deal to me... I mean, it isn't as complicated parameter wise as the MD either.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

radam

Post by radam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:24 pm

yeah the demo patterns do suck- but this is ,by no means, fault of the machine itself :wink:

I think the 888 is a fantastic machine, albeit a different monster from an 808 or 909. If I wanted an 808 or 909, I would buy one of those. They are different characters.

The functionality of the different modes (pattern and performance) is actually quite handy for live jamming. They are sort of equivalent to "classic" and "extended" on a machinedrum. Pattern allows for parameter locking and knob movement live recording/automation, while Performance does not. This is slick just like Classic and Extended are on the MD since there are dedicated buttons for each mode and you can switch on the fly. Say you've got a parameter locked Pattern rockin, you can jump into Performance then back to Pattern to create live jam variations on the sounds in the beat.

The sample sections have a character of their own. They're 8bit, but for some reason don't quite sound the same as just crushing a sample down to 8bit on another machine or in software, and in my opinion, for my taste, this is a good "don't quite sound the same".
record everything