Jomox 888 bugs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crufty

Post by crufty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 pm

if the 888 is anything like the 999 i wouldn't sweat the interface or the bugs....it's not that hard to use. Will you have to read the manual? Yeah. once. PLUS...everything has it's own midi cc code, so if the single, solitary button press scares you away, simply get a knob box and set it up correctly.

not saying its a 909 or 808 though. I stared long and hard at a 909, inc an 808. MAN...just couldn't do it. The price for what you get...its a tough pill for me to swallow. not like the jomox is any cheaper, really its not. but you get so much more (I felt). The jomox boxes are 100% midi controllable and in a studio environment that makes more sense. the 808/909 may wander my way one day...but i just couldn't do it...the amount you can do with those samples is really nice. and the snare has a nice crack to it. integrated sequencer, the ability to save patches--thats what pushed me over the edge. patch saving.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Is the 888 snare the same as the Jomox 09?

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 am

jaypodesta wrote:Is the 888 snare the same as the Jomox 09?
no
god elton can't you suck

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 am

mome rath wrote:
no
Well that's a plus point!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 am

jaypodesta wrote:
mome rath wrote:
no
Well that's a plus point!
Haha, ain't that the truth...though I still hear people complain about the 888's snare as well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:37 am

what would you say that the jomox snare sounds like..
kinda like and 808 snare or 909 snare.
or better yet where could i hear a clip of just the snare in action.
I am going to go check for some jomox demos and stuff.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 am

voltageHead wrote:what would you say that the jomox snare sounds like..
kinda like and 808 snare or 909 snare.
or better yet where could i hear a clip of just the snare in action.
I am going to go check for some jomox demos and stuff.
you can hear the snare here in this x0xb0x test track

between the 808 and 909, it sounds more like a 909

here are a couple of patterns, the last one demonstrating parameter locks on the pitch of the bassdrum

here is the snare on 16ths with knobs being putzed about with. it's not a tremendously interesting snare drum, but i didn't buy it for that 8)
god elton can't you suck

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:35 am

I love all those weird sounds you can do with the noise on the snare and hats

It's just too bad it is a fixed pitch and you can't change the base pitch that is making all the overtones. Frustrating when playing in a different key and all those harmonics are in another.

Thanks for the demos
for sale/trade: EML-101

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:22 am

Ive owned an MD, jomox 999 and have a 909,

and i thought i would just say from experience that the jomox machines in no way fill for 808s and 909s.

They have theyre good points, but differ greatly in sound, even the built in 909 samples, although treated in a similar way, (digital sample analog VCA etc) dont sound or work the same, for example if you pitch shift the ride cymbal to anything other than the default pitch at a value of 50, it would sound nothing like a 909 ride.

In the end it was too volatile a machine for me, and produced too many audible errors on the sounds, that took a lot of processing to disguise. For example the snare was weak, and the attack phase included a horrible audible popping that couldnt be removed at any setting.

I actually liked the tom sounds, but the lack of editing features left them a bit too basic considering the price. As mentioned by others, you can produce some nice rhythms with any of the jomox machines, but for me, they just seemed like they had been released long before they were finished. Also what didnt help was that after spending so much on an incomplete product, another was released that meant Jeurgen wouldnt have as much time to focus on getting the 999's OS complete.

The Machinedrum is completely different to the jomox, and is missing that analog spark that jomox has, and although bugs do pop up, they arent as common as on the jomox machines. Also the UI is almost flawless... a word I very rarely use.

The problem would be the sound for some. It isnt analog, and although it can produce the analog style sounds, has a clean digital tone. I used to fault it for that, but started to realise it shouldnt have to sound analog, and can produce a lot of percussion you will never find on an analog unit. The MD is a very good machine if you know what to expect (but a bit pricey in the UK!),

The 909 however worked exactly how I wanted it to, but thats partially due to years of listening to its sounds. ;)

Maybe in a few years people will develop a taste for the Elektron and Jomox machines (I think that this has already begun with the Elektron machines though).

If I was you I'd wait for a good 808. Then maybe buy an MBase 01.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:37 pm

kuroichi wrote:
Maybe in a few years people will develop a taste for the Elektron and Jomox machines (I think that this has already begun with the Elektron machines though).
Well, I guess alot of people want to sound like their favorite records instead of doing their own thing... I think that's why the 808 and 909 remain popular. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own them...but I would take the MDUW and 888 over those two any day because they will offer more variety in the long run.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 pm

yeah, good point.

As much as I love the 909, the variation in sounds comes from processing it really, since the machines natural sound has been used to death.

As soon as Ive got a bit more funding Im gonna buy an MDUW mk2 as I sold my MD a while back.

I think the new gear offers more in way of developing new styles and techniques, and they are still quite fresh in the market, since although they sell quite well, they havent been done to death by a lots of people.

The only problem is, if you really want a particular sound, you sometimes cant accept a substitute, which was the problem with me I guess.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:19 pm

kuroichi wrote:
The only problem is, if you really want a particular sound, you sometimes cant accept a substitute, which was the problem with me I guess.
I can understand that...why wrestle with making something else sound like what you want when you can just get what you want. :lol:

By the way, ordered my 888 today.

Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm curious... How is the 888 kick superior to the Mbase 01 Kick?
JoMoX Mbase01

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:23 pm

here's a trick .... for JSrockit and anyone else that has 888/MD

set up a pattern using the internal sequencer in the 888 and use the MD to trigger the instruments on the 888 as well

set the MD's shuffle to like 75% and put some snare hits in the same places as you've got them in the 888's pattern aaaaaaand BLAMMO snare rolls

I found this accidentally after deciding that the 888's shuffle function is COMPLETE c**p and using the MD to send note data rather than just starting/stopping the clock
god elton can't you suck

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Or you could just make patterns in 32 step mode, and program in half time and bam!