Jomox 888 bugs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Philly Stress

Post by Philly Stress » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Philly Stress wrote:I'm curious... How is the 888 kick superior to the Mbase 01 Kick?

Can someone please answer the above?
JoMoX Mbase01

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 pm

Got the 888 today... so far so good. I really like it. It has the boom of course, but the snare is a lot cooler than anyone alluded to. There is a lot of programming in that snare... I actually like it better than any of the machinedrum's snares. Hmmm...I can see why analog is desirable.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 pm

At last, a snare you can be proud of! Keep us posted...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 pm

well the snare's noise programmability is linked with the hi hats programmability.

I think people were complaining about the straight up snare sound on the jomox, not the one that features the new roland style noise effects which is super cool!
for sale/trade: EML-101

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 pm

kuroichi wrote:Or you could just make patterns in 32 step mode, and program in half time and bam!
but, you can bring them in and out with one key punch rather than a handful to actually program a 32nd step retrig... and if you're sending clock from the MD, you can't program the 888 in 32nds
god elton can't you suck

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm

nadafarms wrote:well the snare's noise programmability is linked with the hi hats programmability.

I think people were complaining about the straight up snare sound on the jomox, not the one that features the new roland style noise effects which is super cool!
I think I don't understand what you mean. :lol: I just got it today, so all I did was create a 32 step pattern, made the bassdrum boom, put a couple of hats down, and then tweak the snane all over to see what it does...and it was usable in many areas. what did you mean with the two comments above (ie linked to the hats and new roland style effects)?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:33 pm

the 888's main addition from the 999 was the new noise feature with it's two tweakable parameters which use some similar technology to the roland tr drum machines. those 2 parameters effect the noise circuit for both the hi hats and the snare, so if you're using a kit and you tweak the snare's parameters it will effect the hi hats if the hihats are set to noise instead of samples.

play a pattern with straight 16th notes on the hi hats, then set the hi hats to the noise feature, then go to the snare where you can edit those 2 parameters, then you will hear the magic noise on the hihats and snare. best feature on the 888 next to the kick drum...

you're gonna have to read the manual a bunch.

another tip is always keep the main volume at max setting, otherwise it does weird stuff like some instruments cutting out etc.
for sale/trade: EML-101

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the snare / hat thing could suck...

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:53 am

Philly Stress wrote:
Philly Stress wrote:I'm curious... How is the 888 kick superior to the Mbase 01 Kick?

The Mbase 01 Kick was modified to match the 999 kick. (white Mbases and Black ones have the 09 style, and then 999 style respectively)

The 888 kick contains a decaying envelope similar to the 808, so can produce similar effects to the 808 style kick rather than 909, but I dont know whether I would call it superior, but I guess thats a matter of opinion.

There are also slight touch ups through all the jomox machines as production has progressed.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

7Hz

Re:

Post by 7Hz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:14 pm

kuroichi wrote:
Philly Stress wrote:

The Mbase 01 Kick was modified to match the 999 kick. (white Mbases and Black ones have the 09 style, and then 999 style respectively)

The 888 kick contains a decaying envelope similar to the 808, so can produce similar effects to the 808 style kick rather than 909, but I dont know whether I would call it superior, but I guess thats a matter of opinion.

There are also slight touch ups through all the jomox machines as production has progressed.
Hold up, that is totally wrong from what I know.

Th MBass kick is NOT the 09 kick at all, the MBass lick has decay closer to the 808 decay from what I heard.

I don't beleive there is any difference between the white and black MBass'.

The black MBass was out years before the 999, it wasn't "modified to match the 999 kick".

AFAIAA, the 888 (and 999?) have selectable envelopes that make the kick more like the 09 or more like the MBass.

I know I can get very very close to both 808 and 909 with my MBass.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Jomox 888 bugs?

Post by kuroichi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:41 am

From what youve heard....?

I did actually own a 999 for quite a while you know.... Im not just guessing.

It was jeurgen who told me that the kicks have been modified slightly since they were created from the 09 upwards.

The early white Mbase was more like the Xbase09 kick, but as the kick developed extra parameters were added to it. For example the 09 and 999 dont have the same kick. the 999 is slightly different, and has extra features to the sound. For one the kicks and sounds use different parts than what they used to, and are assembled in Taiwan.

That wasnt always the case, which is why the sound has changed.

I said that you can get similar effects with it, but the envelope in the 888 is the main difference thats all. I didnt say it was superior...

and besides, the 808 kick isnt just about decay, I would argue that the exponential envelope on it has much more to do with the way it sounds.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:48 am

If there are any 888 users here...please check out my thread in the help section. I'm having a hard time loading samples into this piece of s**t. Thanks.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:09 am

check my response

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 am

kuroichi wrote:From what youve heard....?

I did actually own a 999 for quite a while you know.... Im not just guessing.

It was jeurgen who told me that the kicks have been modified slightly since they were created from the 09 upwards.

The early white Mbase was more like the Xbase09 kick, but as the kick developed extra parameters were added to it. For example the 09 and 999 dont have the same kick. the 999 is slightly different, and has extra features to the sound. For one the kicks and sounds use different parts than what they used to, and are assembled in Taiwan.

That wasnt always the case, which is why the sound has changed.

I said that you can get similar effects with it, but the envelope in the 888 is the main difference thats all. I didnt say it was superior...

and besides, the 808 kick isnt just about decay, I would argue that the exponential envelope on it has much more to do with the way it sounds.
The 09 and the 999 have totally different kicks - the 09 was the first model, and the 999 very recent.

AFAIAA the 888 and 999 have the same kick, no? When I was talking about the decay, I was meaning the exponential envelope. I was under the impression this was selectable on both machines.

I am surprised about the original MBass 01 being the same as the 09, but my black MBass board does say 'Rev B', and I haven't heard a white one, so I am sorry if I doubted you.

I am not saying any one model is superior or anything, just wanting to get it straight.

I agree about the toms being a waste of two analog voices.

Jeurgen always comes so close to having a brilliant machine, but always seems to fall down at a hurdle. For example, the MBass 01 is advertised as playing chromatically over 3 octaves, but in fact, it can't play in tune over any more than about half an octave, and is semitones out at either extreme. I talked to him about this, he was aware of it but didn't seem interested in fixing it. IMHO he shouldn't be advertising this feature as he does if that's the case. Also, what is with the two clicks to step the parameter once on the MBass? Totally non-intuitive and annoying, quite bizarre design TBH.

The 999 and 888 would have been so much better with proper tom voices with lots of different parameters and better sound, and he should make more voices analog and versatile as well.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:51 pm

7Hz wrote: Jeurgen always comes so close to having a brilliant machine, but always seems to fall down at a hurdle. For example, the MBass 01 is advertised as playing chromatically over 3 octaves, but in fact, it can't play in tune over any more than about half an octave, and is semitones out at either extreme. I talked to him about this, he was aware of it but didn't seem interested in fixing it. IMHO he shouldn't be advertising this feature as he does if that's the case.
I agree he shouldn't advertise that. Luckily I don't care about that function...or I'd be pissed. I love the MBase01 and the T-Res so much...both work, for my needs, correctly. However, the 888 is frustrating. Hopefully I can get my samples loaded while keeping the ones default ones that I like...if that gets sorted...I'll like the 888 as well.