Jomox 888 bugs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Jomox 888 bugs?

Post by kuroichi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:02 pm

The problem I found with Jomox machines is that they get released before they are truly completed...

Which is a big shame.

Juergen should have worked more towards a complete 999 before releasing the 888, as the main differences between the machines are mostly OS based (you can get an 888 OS for the 999 that made the metalised snare and HH sounds available). he mentioned they have different OS's due to the 999 having the cross filter.

There are ways around most of the bugs though, however it's a bit unfair considering the cost, and some cant be helped.

Hopefully over time he'll clear them all up.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Yeah, and he's making like it is my fault... and telling me I don't want to offend him (oh, I'm sorry I'm a bit upset after wrestling with this thing for days!!!) and that the samples part is just an add-on that he doesn't need to support... please, I pay $1400 for a machine that is advertised as supposed to be able to load samples and then you don't feel the need to support that function? blow me. I like this machine too much or I would just give up like many others seem to do.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Well I'll admit I gave up,

I put a lot of time into that machine but eventually realised Ishouldnt have payed over £1000 ($2000) for a machine that dosent work properly.

Im just sticking to my 909 now, and I might buy another MD, but this time a UW.

Oh and Im hoping to get an XS real soon.... but thats it I swear!
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm

The funny thing is that I have no interest in a 909 or 808...since they are too limited. The thing that made the 888 intriguing to me was that you could add your own samples and that you had a basic version of parameter locks. The thing sounds great, the modes aren't that hard to handle...but the loading samples has been horrific. I'll try again tonight.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 am

JSRockit wrote: The thing that made the 888 intriguing to me was that you could add your own samples and that you had a basic version of parameter locks.
exactly what got me going, plus the fact u can drive 4 external midi tracks (albeit monophonic) for some additional drums from other module/machine, or a bassline..

<rant>

however, and this has been bugging me for a while, im scared of buying anything Jomox now. reading thru sunsyn, mbase and 888/999 yahoo groups, AH mailing list and here, there is one recurring theme for years now - problems with support, false advertising, unfinished OS and this guy Jurgen obviously having an attitude problem. you're most defineteley not the first (or the last) who mentioned his "its not my problem" frame of mind.

so, i don't think he really cannot make a 100% finished and a supported (w decent service) product, but he actually does not want to, because he thinks he doesnt really have to. at this day n age...WTF? .. i dunno what to say. i got the cash, but im not sure he 's gonna get it..

im now considering Vermona, or 909 plus at least MBase1.. c**p...shoot.. damn.. etc..

</rant>

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:31 pm

Ok, I've been using the 888, without issue, for a few days now. It turns out it was the Elektron TM-1 I was using for Midi. Changed to my MOTU Ultralite and it worked perfectly. You would think the Jomox guy should make that suggestion, but no. Anyway, outside of that, it has been a wonderful machine to work with and sounds so much bigger, without processing, than the Machinedrum. There are limitation vs. something like the MD or even a Korg ESX-1...but in regards to analog drums, there is no equal in terms of versatility (except maybe the 999).

In terms of stuff like the MBase01 or the T-Res...I have used both with no issues at all.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:Ok, I've been using the 888, without issue, for a few days now. It turns out it was the Elektron TM-1 I was using for Midi. Changed to my MOTU Ultralite and it worked perfectly. You would think the Jomox guy should make that suggestion, but no.
cute. i bought the TM-1 just to update the OS/swap the samples because IT IS LISTED IN HIS DOCUMENT AS ONE THAT WORKS

#-o

edit: it DID work to update the OS, but not for the samples
god elton can't you suck

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:26 pm

mome rath wrote: edit: it DID work to update the OS, but not for the samples
Yep, same for me... are you using a mac? He blamed it on that.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 pm

JSRockit wrote:
mome rath wrote: edit: it DID work to update the OS, but not for the samples
Yep, same for me... are you using a mac? He blamed it on that.
nope
god elton can't you suck