Synth design challenge

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:27 am

one of the best thread ever! really enjoy these kind of fresh synth designs.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:27 pm

I'll sticky this for a bit.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

MoSyn

Post by cbjlietuva » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:21 am

MoSyn

I'll have a 3D version soon :wink:

The parameters for each function on the synth is controlled with the "parameter" and "value" knobs which correspond to the LEDs next to the one you're editing in the middle there. The 'sub' functions- e.g. on an envelope generator you'd have attack, decay, sustain and release- will load up on the knobs. for real time tweak, you can 'lock' any or all of the parameters:

e.g. Say you're editing VCO 1 and you want to have the PWM constantly up for live tweaking, you hit the lock button, and then you switch any of the knobs to the another parameter and you have access to that, but you sill have VCO 1 PWM on the knob you've locked.

The knobs then are merely for each parameter and their corresponding value. the parameter number (in the case when you have parameters that either don't fit or are forced off the default display when you 'lock' a parameter) will appear on the main red LED display at the bottom, and when you turn the value knob the display will switch to the value of that parameter.

The 'Parameter filter' knob can be used to limit what parameters are accessible for easier and less confusing editing and tweaking. e.g. you switch to 'MIDI' and only the MIDI master parameters are accessible on the editing/tweaking area, switch to off, and they are all accessible.

To save a patch, you simply hit copy while you're editing and select a patch and hit paste- a query will ask to confirm to prevent accidental overwrites.

The modulation matrix to the far right is mostly self explanatory, borrowing from EMS's synthi series, using simple pin configurations, although on MoSyn pins can be 'stacked' and 'wired' (bent) for more possibilities and there's a 'random' patch which is connected to the memory's CPU which will randomly select a source to the marked destination.

the pins '1' '2' '3' correspond to the knobs marked. they are essentially control voltages/value pots for more dedicated tweaking rather than using the parameter/value section's 'lock' function.

click for a (very) large version
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

esoteric
Gear: Moog Little Phatty (Tribute); Korg EMX, ES Mk II, MicroKorg; Yamaha DX-7; Alesis Micron; MidiNES; Prophet 64; Thingamagoop;

Re:

Post by esoteric » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:48 am

audible wrote:3-VCO, 3-LFO drone box:

Red knobs control the VCOs pitch. Their waveform is switchable via the three upper right buttons.

Blue knobs control the LFOs rate. They share the same waveform which is switchable via the lower right button.

Gray knobs control the FM amount between each pair of elements in the direction pointed by the arrows.

Like many feedback based configurations, it should sound nasty and unpredictable.
Man, I just put this thing together in the G2 demo, and it sounds awesome! Truly wicked noise. I'm loving it. I especially like lowering one of the LFOs down to way low. You get a fantastic evolving racket.

It's unfortunate you're already out of knobs, because this thing wants a filter. For even more fun, patch the sum of the three oscillators into the filter for some FM there too. I added a crossfader after that to pan between pre- and post-filter signals. Resonant low-pass pumping up the bass frequencies while the pre-filter rips and tears is awesome.
What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence.

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Re:

Post by audible » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:56 am

esoteric wrote: Man, I just put this thing together in the G2 demo, and it sounds awesome! Truly wicked noise. I'm loving it. I especially like lowering one of the LFOs down to way low. You get a fantastic evolving racket.

It's unfortunate you're already out of knobs, because this thing wants a filter. For even more fun, patch the sum of the three oscillators into the filter for some FM there too. I added a crossfader after that to pan between pre- and post-filter signals. Resonant low-pass pumping up the bass frequencies while the pre-filter rips and tears is awesome.
Glad you liked the Fraudible. I should patent it. :)

I don't like having total control over an instrument all the time. I'd rather listen it go its own sweet way. (Self-imposed limitations can be inspiring as well.) Needless to say, the G2x is an awesome tool for unpredictable noodles. I'll try and add your suggestions to my own patch whenever I have a spare moment. In the meantime, would you care to post some samples?
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Re: MoSyn

Post by JayEm » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm

cbjlietuva wrote: Image
no mod wheel? wha?
w00t

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Re: ******** STICKY: Synth design challenge ********

Post by THM » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:32 pm

I love this thread !!
Great imagination and design talents (well errrm... some are better than others) here !!

The price for the most original goes to the boom-erang. =D>
Btw: the price for the most ab-original too... :lol:
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:36 pm

More entries needed.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

thosquanta
Gear: korg ds-10, ex-800, ms-2000; dotcom porta-22, nord micro modular, roland alpha juno-1, jx-3p, mc505; akai s2000, emu morpheus, red sounds darkstar
Band: thosquanta

Post by thosquanta » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:50 pm

huh. i'm going to have to rig up the fraudible on my micro mod...

Janner

Post by Janner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:21 pm

Here is my pocketrocket. Its monophonic and there is no midi and preset slots. Those three leds are for power / external cv source / external audio activity. Those yellow/pink buttons are regular on/off switches.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:07 pm

My friend has made sth

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:23 am

That Bromus looks classy to me. I want one. :D

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:49 am

OriginalJambo wrote:That Bromus looks classy to me. I want one. :D
That Moog VS synth looks good to me too.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums