Waldorf Pulse Plus

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Waldorf Pulse Plus

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi all

I did a search but it turned up no results - im not sure if this synth has really been discussed here much.

I've just bought a mint Pulse Plus for £250 and will be using it as my main midi'd analog mono .Im just interested to hear peoples views on its general tonality......for bass, lead and FX sounds. For the money.....I cant see how anyone could complain......

Im not looking for a particualrly retro sound.....just something that puts out a decent fresh analog tone. Have I made the right decision.....?

Cheers

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm

I bought a standard Pulse in the late 90's and used it for bass, mostly. Not a bad piece of gear for the money, but something seems to be lacking, so I sold it. The random patch generator was interesting, though.

Vast Halo

Post by Vast Halo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 pm

The Pulse has a reputation for sounding aggressive, which is due to the fact that, by design, it's very easy to overdrive the filter. Accordingly, its strongest suits are screaming sync leads and grungy industrial bass. That said, if you turn down the oscillator levels for a cleaner sound, you can coax some sweeter voices out of it.
If your setup is based around a PC-based DAW, I recommend investing in Rekon's VST editor, which enables you to program the Pulse from your computer. It's much more enjoyable to use than the Pulse's front panel, and encourages you to experiment with its extremely comprehensive modulation matrix.
All that aside, the Pulse Plus is very useful as an interface between the digital and analogue worlds. Because its main CV output can be set to work with Hz/V or Oct/V, I can use it as a MIDI-CV converter for both my Korg 770 and my Oberheim OB-1. Futhermore, because the Pulse Plus also has CV and gate inputs, I can drive it from my ARP Sequencer while simultaneously tweaking the patch with MIDI CCs.
There are other neat tricks. For example, one of the Minimoog's few failings is that it lacks a sample-and-hold circuit. That's not an issue with a Pulse Plus to hand, however: I can output a S&H signal from the Pulse's auxiliary CV out to my Mini's filter cutoff or VCA inputs.
All said, at today's second-hand prices, the Pulse Plus represents fantastic value for money.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 am

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:decent fresh analog tone.
that's what the synth best for. even it would do some nice retro sound, but crazy, stereo modulation, deep fm-ish bass, sync leads and fx is what I like it for. It sounds in the modern side to me. Not as warm or analog as those VCO synth, but sounds great and most of the time, wonderful. You can listen to more demos in bluesynth and get a great free bank and audio demos from robpapen. You might also want to notice about the EPROM upgrade. Congrats to own one of the classic mono ever produce. It's humble interface usually turned some people off. But with a controller like the X-stn which I use, it becomes a much better synth to play and tweaked live.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:44 am

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 pm

given the price and what you say you'll be using it for it should do quite well.

I had one from about '98-'03 (bought it, sold it to a pal, bought it back from same pal, sold it back to same-said pal)

as long as you're not expecting oozy smooth creaminess, the Pulse is a fine synth. With gobs of bass, a 'sharp' overall tonality (precise), a brash & aggro character, loads of modulation fun ...and it looks great in any rack.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

HQ. 17

Post by HQ. 17 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 pm

I was also interested in that Pulse + (from SOS?).

Would be interesting to hear how you get on with it. Does seem to be great value for money in the current market. I certainly have my eye out for another one.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 pm

shaft9000 wrote:...as long as you're not expecting oozy smooth creaminess, the Pulse is a fine synth. With gobs of bass, a 'sharp' overall tonality (precise), a brash & aggro character, loads of modulation fun ...
As a Pulse owner, I say to this "well-said!"

cheers,
Ian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:51 am

I've just sold me Pulse+ for 250!!!?? :shock: :roll:

Still best analogue for the money! :wink:

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 am

Yep, great synth had for very little money. I picked mine up when it was just released and it cost A LOT more than what it goes for now. I bought the Rekon editor but I honestly prefer the free one mentioned. The interface on the Pulse isn't that bad though.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 am

Does the Pulse have "endless" knobs?

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:44 am

JackAstro wrote:Does the Pulse have "endless" knobs?
No, it hasn't, and therefore editing from the frontpanel will drive you crazy.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 pm

DocT wrote:
JackAstro wrote:Does the Pulse have "endless" knobs?
No, it hasn't, and therefore editing from the frontpanel will drive you crazy.
V2.01 OS allows you to see the value of the parameter without changing it by holding down the 'row select' buton and tweaking the knob.

I find if you simply cut a little treble on your mixer it takes the clean edge away from the tone, also if you add positive keytracking to VCO levels the notes in the higher octaves have a nice overdrive and sound more akin to a Mini.
The filter input is also sweet with a VA synth put though monophonically and played on the same MIDI channel.
Last edited by Soundwave on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:46 pm

Soundwave wrote:V2.01 OS allows you to see the value of the parameter without changing it by holding down the 'row select' buton and tweaking the button.
glad that I got mine with the latest os. the update since os 1.00 is worth it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:55 pm

i like the pulse plus. weve got one that ive been thinking about keeping because its a pretty powerful analog monosynth.... in a tiny package. editing from the front panel is surprisingly easy, and i really like the 3 oscillators and stereo modulation.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com