LEAVE analogs POWERED on ... ???

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Diametro

LEAVE analogs POWERED on ... ???

Post by Diametro » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:04 am

When you know you're going to be using you're synths for awhile, do you leave your vintage analogs on the whole time or what?

I'm thinking in terms of longevity for these analog babies ...

How stressful is powering on/off for the electronics ... ???

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 am

I've heard it's actually better for the components to be left on, but anything that generates alot of heat will probably have the opposite effect. If the power supply is well designed, there should be no risk in powering the unit on and off frequently.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 am

Every analog I have ever left on, whether intentionally or accidentally, has failed. You have a limited time on your analogs. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:05 am

Ah... I used to leave my analogs on all the time, like, as in "all" the time (I never shut them down). I'm gonna jinx it now, but because of high-a*s electric bills, I keep everything off now. Thanks for the tip (my next thread is "help my analogs died!!!!") :)
I like vintage synths....

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:53 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Every analog I have ever left on, whether intentionally or accidentally, has failed. You have a limited time on your analogs. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON.
Shouldn't this apply to digital and more "modern" analogs as well?
Well fffff.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:59 am

Hossinfeffa wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Every analog I have ever left on, whether intentionally or accidentally, has failed. You have a limited time on your analogs. DO NOT LEAVE THEM ON.
Shouldn't this apply to digital and more "modern" analogs as well?
Well, vintage analog components have a limited life expectancy... and they're already old.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:17 am

Doesn´t that rule apply to valve equipment only? From what I´ve read it´s the inrush currents generated while powering up an amplifier several times a day that do more harm to the valves´ longetivity than leaving them idling. Anyway with Class A amps it may be cheaper to buy new valves than to leave them constantly on...
Herrare umanum est.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 am

This comes up like twice a year... this one only slightly dif, more directed toward analogs. I say if its several times a day leave it on, if its once a day or less then shut it off. My experience has told me if it can't be shut off and on, on ocassion without probs, then its c**p.

Older analogs, not all, seem to take a bit to warm up and stablize, newer stuff it shouldn't matter, and if it does then poo on it and send it off to the pope of the 53rd dimension.

Common sense stuff really.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:39 pm

Zamise wrote:and if it does then poo on it and send it off to the pope of the 53rd dimension.

Common sense stuff really.
:shock: :?:

I thought he died....
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Pure evil can never be subdued. It just continues in a different host.

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:52 pm

^i suppose... :(
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:34 pm

tube gear is a little different-there are many studios that have never turned off their tube gear since they bought them. tube gear also has a reputation of sounding better after being on for an hour or two, so i see its purpose.

i dont see the purpose for leaving on a solid state piece, other than sheer laziness. i only leave on the synths that need warm up time before i use them, meticulously turn them off. i unplug my cs80 from the wall when its not in use, cause i dont want to take any chances. (a house got fried from lightning this week 5 blocks from me). but then again i dont know s**t.

how hard is it to push one switch when youre done? all the more reason to play non-memory synths..... :D

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:26 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Well, vintage analog components have a limited life expectancy... and they're already old.
I mean, doesn't every piece of equipment have a limited life? So essentially I am trying to get at, is if you treat your modern gear like this it should (in theory) make them last even longer than the older gear. Even if the precautions were taken on both. (A Prophet 5 may last 30 years with the treatment, while a Prophet 08 may last 50 due to taking care and more reliable circuits.)

Though I may just come off stupid on this. :P
Well fffff.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies so far ...

I'm sensing, however, a lack of consensus ...

BTW ... The synths in question are a Jupiter-6 and Juno-106 ... At the moment, I'm using the Jupiter much more ...

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:37 am

Diametro wrote:Thanks for the replies so far ...

I'm sensing, however, a lack of consensus ...
That's because there isn't one, and barring some exhaustive years-long scientific research there isn't likely to be one. And since there isn't any really compelling evidence suggesting that turning a synth on and off a couple of times during the course of a day, week, whatever will significantly shorten it's lifespan, you may as well err on the side of cheaper electric bills.

If you're getting up from your synth and don't think you'll be back inside of an hour, turn it off; if you're leaving the house and think there's a chance the weather may change while you're out, unplug it (lightning striking your house definitely can shorten the life of your synth.)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop