LEAVE analogs POWERED on ... ???

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:21 am

I'm afraid of turning off my early 80's digital synths like the Juno or DX7, because I don't know how long it's been since the battery was changed. I don't wanna lose my patches and burn holes in my PCBs.

So the DX7 and SQ-80 are on most of the year. I change patches on the panel a few times a day to not get burns on the LCD screens. Is that bad?

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:57 am

I pretty much agree with Solderman. Heat is the enemy, but most electronics perform best when warmed up before hand. Tubes, oscillators, even A/D converters and clocks like to adjust (I hear).

I sometimes get home from work around 5:30, turn on the Cat, grab a bite and maybe d**k around and not play until 10 and then shut it off an hour later. Seems to work for me. I left it on for three days one time and went to play it and it was all drifty and had to be recalibrated.

Who knows, but most techs would probably agree that heat is bad. It's not like components are atheletes that get stronger and more developed the more they're used.
Too futurist to live.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:46 am

Untouchable_888 wrote:
Zamise wrote:and if it does then poo on it and send it off to the pope of the 53rd dimension.

Common sense stuff really.
:shock: :?:

I thought he died....
they picked a new one

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:33 am

I too have wondered about this, I always turn them off assuming that is the safest bet. Is there general rule of thumb for how long a vintage analog should be left to 'warm up'?
Sorry to be OT, but the pope was in sydney last week, and I saw a guy selling shirts with this slogan:

"THE POPE TOUCHED ME DOWN UNDER!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dig it.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:44 am

the old buchla 200/300 system i once used spent most of it's life powered on. the led's aren't as bright but otherwise was fine. i turn all of my stuff off when i'm not using it, though, not a fan of wasting 'lectricity.

HH

Post by HH » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:25 pm

i've read somewhere that Moby used to not turn off his keyboards even while going on tours (about 1 year) ... don't know what was the result though :)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:38 pm

there are some conflicting opinions here.
i've heard many times that it's better for the life of a solid-state to be left on all day/session. this from the more high-end studios.
this would make sense, as you are not causing so much flux in heat/stability, and the powersupply is not being 'stressed' so often.

...perhaps it varies between different pieces. the difference seems to lie more between tube & solid-state, not so much between analog and digital.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

SynthiChris

Post by SynthiChris » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Well first off, I try to keep my energy bill in mind, my ESQ-1 is a little over 20 years old and heats up pretty quick, considering my ESQ-1 was purchased for about $1175 at time, I still stick with my investment. Call me crazy but I have a $100 surge protection unit on my ESQ-1 just so I dont have to worry about playing it during a thunderstorm. As far as leaving my synth on I try to only leave on for over an hour, like when im recording and mastering, mixing etc. Some of you lucky fellows who own over $10,000 worth of vintage equipment; If I were you guys I would never keep my synths on for over 10 minutes of extra time. Unlike some of the newer synths most old analogue synths do have some sort of a life expectancy. I always double check that I have turned off my synth before I shower, work, school, etc...
-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Workstation-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Sequencer Expander-ESQ-1 Voice 80 A Cartridge-Sustain Pedal FSW-1

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:33 pm

I am always very aware of when my synths are on. I schedule my workings around them, actually. If I know I'm going to be using them, I will turn them on and let them warm up. I will use them normally in the recording process, which often does have them on for a couple of hours or so, but I am always thinking that every minute passing is a minute less I will be able to play thing thing in its current state.
So, I'm not obsessive about it, just aware of it. When I know I won't be using it for a period of time, I'll turn it off. I would never intentionally leave anything on if I didn't intend to be using it within the hour, or so.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Re: LEAVE analogs POWERED on ... ???

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Diametro wrote:I'm thinking in terms of longevity for these analog babies ...

Apparently there is a reason why your synth has ON/OFF switch, no?

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:41 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:And since there isn't any really compelling evidence suggesting that turning a synth on and off a couple of times during the course of a day, week, whatever will significantly shorten it's lifespan
From electronics point of view:

-- electrolyte capacitors like when you leave machine on. They'll live longer.
-- op amps (in heat environment) do not like when you leave machine on.

Cap costs 15 cents, op-amp 1.5 bucks. To unsolder one cap - takes 20 seconds. To unsolder 16pin opamp - takes 20 minutes (if PCB contacts are poor quality).

You decide which way to go.

:wave:

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Don Solaris wrote:From electronics point of view:

-- electrolyte capacitors like when you leave machine on. They'll live longer.
-- op amps (in heat environment) do not like when you leave machine on.

Cap costs 15 cents, op-amp 1.5 bucks. To unsolder one cap - takes 20 seconds. To unsolder 16pin opamp - takes 20 minutes (if PCB contacts are poor quality).

You decide which way to go.
Thank you Don,

For nailing a decent answer to a categorically pointless question; pointless like Vanessa Mae without a violin and with clothes.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:31 pm

I reckon it comes down to whether you're powering it all off of something warm and analog (like a windmill, or used french fry grease) or something nasty and digital (like a breeder reactor).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:49 am

So the answer is: always leave all your gear onf.
Too futurist to live.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:40 am

Hrm...I'm not that worried about the electronics, what bothers me is ancient batteries that can cut out at any time. I figure if I leave the synths on, the battery never drains, and thus, my patches will stay there forever and I won't leak any c**p on my PCB's. Thus, the DX7 has been turned off maybe 10 minutes during the last 2 years.