HIT THAT PERFECT BEAT! [Bronski Beat.]

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

HIT THAT PERFECT BEAT! [Bronski Beat.]

Post by Untouchable_888 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:55 pm

oK, i think that this will be a fun song to discuss. ANd i am pretty certain that I can hear a j106 in there...

LET US DISECT!
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Post by blueknob » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:32 pm

My guess is that pitch bent lead line is a DX7. But I could be wrong. Hate to admit, I could probably recite all the lyrics from memory. As you say a great pop song.

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm

blueknob wrote:My guess is that pitch bent lead line is a DX7. But I could be wrong. Hate to admit, I could probably recite all the lyrics from memory. As you say a great pop song.
yeah it is. i love this song. the original xtended off "truth Dare Doubledare" is better than the remix they put out. imho.
But am I right about a J106 in there?

oh, and i know the words too! :D
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 am

I'm thinking, "PPG."

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:55 am

When I was at school I really "dug" Bronski Beat and the Pet Shop boys, of course now I realise that this was the main reason for girls avoiding me at all costs. Anyway I always thought "Why" was a more technical song

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:46 pm

The FM/digital sounds you hear are from Mike Thorne's (producer) Synclavier - which got heavily used along with his large Serge system and the band's gear (Memorymoog, OSCar or Pro-One and LinnDrum IIRC).

So nope - no Juno in there. Mike's Synclavier/Serge combo was also prominent on most Soft Cell recordings too.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed here a couple of years ago.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes, it's true that the Synclavier and Serge modular (an eight-panel system) saw lots of use on Soft Cell's first couple of albums as well as on Bronski Beat's "The Age Of Consent".

Though I'm not sure if that's the same setup used for "Hit that perfect beat", because this song--which appears on "Truthdare Doubledare"(1986)-- was not produced/recorded by Mike Thorne (who owned the Synclavier and Serge).
Anyway, as mentioned by calyx93 above the band's gear at the time comprised of a Pro-One, OSCar, memorymoog and, it should be noted, a DX-7. I'm pretty sure that at least some of that stuff, incl. the DX-7, made it onto "Hit that perfect beat".

According to Mike Thorne, the DX-7 was also used to some extent on the album "Age of consent" (1984).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:24 pm

Micke, talking about The Age Of Consent: wasn't there a lot of Roland sounds too (Juno/Jupiter) ?
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Hey, Micke. I recall a TV interview with Bronski Beat, when "Hit That Perfect Beat" was released. In the interview, they mentioned using PPG gear. The interviewer made a big deal about the gear, because he had never seen anything like it. I was not knowledgeable about synths back then, but, if memory serves, it would likely have been a Waveterm or EVU. [Don't ask me what TV program it was. It's been two decades!]

Also, there are two promo videos for the song. In the "rare" version, they are playing PPGs. Unfortunately, the latter version does not appear to be on YouTube, and I cannot find easily online.

Anyone find the video?

WD

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 am

Micke wrote:Yes, it's true that the Synclavier and Serge modular (an eight-panel system) saw lots of use on Soft Cell's first couple of albums as well as on Bronski Beat's "The Age Of Consent".

Though I'm not sure if that's the same setup used for "Hit that perfect beat", because this song--which appears on "Truthdare Doubledare"(1986)-- was not produced/recorded by Mike Thorne (who owned the Synclavier and Serge).
Anyway, as mentioned by calyx93 above the band's gear at the time comprised of a Pro-One, OSCar, memorymoog and, it should be noted, a DX-7. I'm pretty sure that at least some of that stuff, incl. the DX-7, made it onto "Hit that perfect beat".

According to Mike Thorne, the DX-7 was also used to some extent on the album "Age of consent" (1984).
Thanks, Micke. I stand corrected :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:04 am

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:09 am

WDW wrote:Hey, Micke. I recall a TV interview with Bronski Beat, when "Hit That Perfect Beat" was released. In the interview, they mentioned using PPG gear. The interviewer made a big deal about the gear, because he had never seen anything like it. I was not knowledgeable about synths back then, but, if memory serves, it would likely have been a Waveterm or EVU. [Don't ask me what TV program it was. It's been two decades!]

Also, there are two promo videos for the song. In the "rare" version, they are playing PPGs. Unfortunately, the latter version does not appear to be on YouTube, and I cannot find easily online.

Anyone find the video?

WD

Damn! WDW beat me to it! :)

After reading this post, I found a mashup (Bronski Beat vs Divine) that clearly shows Larry Steinbachek playing a Wave 2.3 with a Waveterm beside him (clearly viewed at 1:13). However, as a Wave user/owner, I can't say that I can identify any particular sound on the Truth Dare Doubledare LP that screams PPG (then again, I've not listened to it in quite some time), but I suppose it could be buried in there somewhere.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:11 am

hit that perfect beat's definitely one of my favorite hi nrg tracks from the 80s. excellent programming on a couple other tracks on that album too, even better than their previous material.

not to hijack this thread, but if you like hit that perfect beat, youd probably also like "this boys in love" by the presets, a similarly powerful track ive been diggin lately:

http://www.myspace.com/thepresets

good stuff...

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:37 pm

WDW wrote:Hey, Micke. I recall a TV interview with Bronski Beat, when "Hit That Perfect Beat" was released. In the interview, they mentioned using PPG gear. The interviewer made a big deal about the gear, because he had never seen anything like it. I was not knowledgeable about synths back then, but, if memory serves, it would likely have been a Waveterm or EVU. [Don't ask me what TV program it was. It's been two decades!]

WD

Cool! that's news to me

Btw, I noticed the other guy in that video plays a Memorymoog and I know for certain they owned one along with a Pro-One, OSCar and DX-7.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Hey Micke - coming back on my Q/ - didn't they use mostly Roland stuff on "The Age Of Consent" ?
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace