The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Postlapsaria

Re: The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Post by Postlapsaria » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Hey guys, I am new here. I was led to this site in hopes to find a copy of Howard Massey's "The Complete DX7" online. I tried the rapidshare links that were posted some years back but they are dead. Could someone make a re-post? Thanks so much!

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:27 am

Postlapsaria

Post by Postlapsaria » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks for the link EmptySet, but the link is dead. The page says "download not available" and "unassigned file limit of 10 downloads reached". Does it need to be uploaded again? I haven't used rapidshare in a while so I can only assume that the link can only be used 10 times. Could you upload it a second time?

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Actually, I don't have an electronic copy. I have a paper copy. Just sharing a link. Maybe someone else can upload it for you.

RufusTBarleysheath

Post by RufusTBarleysheath » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:54 am

I happened to be looking for the same thing and found it here: https://sites.google.com/site/myyamahadx7/guides
(It's the "massey.7z" link.)

Postlapsaria

Post by Postlapsaria » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:55 am

Thats awesome! Thanks RufusTBarleysheath. This will definitely be of use to me and my DX7. Also, thanks to everyone on vintagesynth.com. I am new here and it has been a very warm welcome.

koneyn
Gear: Yamaha DX7 IID, Korg ESX-1, Korg X3R, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Post by koneyn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:46 am

Hello guys, sorry to start posting with a selfish request, but I just got myself a nice DX7 IID and I'm really into the whole FM programming stuff, yet I cannot find that (presumably) better quality scan of the book. The thing with this "massey.7z" file is that the scans are not good at all, pages are heavily slanted and the letters painful to read. I know it may sound like a lot to ask, still I'm slightly visually impaired so it really gives me headache.

I found several links to that 300dpi scan but every single one of them is long dead.

If there is a way someone can help me on this one, I'll be eternally grateful as this really means a lot to me.

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Here's the PDF plus the two missing pages, both originally from the links earlier in the thread:

http://rapidshare.com/files/3322601626/ ... te_dx7.zip

Hope this version is easier on your eyes!

koneyn

Post by koneyn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Thank you so much Sir, I owe you big time! :geek: (<- yes, that's me, haha)

Hopefully in time I'll set up a separate section on my blog dedicated exclusively to DX7 (both mk1 and 2) with as much relevant information as possible and (with your permission) I'll try to get a permanent server space somewhere to keep this book from disappearing as well.

koneyn

Post by koneyn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

It's me again, this time to say thanks again and also to let you know I have slightly edited the PDF which Ryan kindly shared with me. Now the missing pages are inserted into the main file and the whole book has been rotated properly and trimmed near original margins. The file size has been reduced as well, now it's around 55Mb, although pretty decent quality is still there (not much difference, tbh).

Even though it's much smaller, due to restrictions on my free box.net account I had to split it up into three .rar files:

http://www.box.net/shared/r2vxxyg5gxazkhamfi3l
http://www.box.net/shared/xzf5y35jzpskrv6pir1c
http://www.box.net/shared/jrvzvusuagcha45jinis

No need to hurry to grab it since I won't be deleting these files anytime soon (or later, for that matter).

Cheers!

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 am

koneyn wrote:Thank you so much Sir, I owe you big time! :geek: (<- yes, that's me, haha)

Hopefully in time I'll set up a separate section on my blog dedicated exclusively to DX7 (both mk1 and 2) with as much relevant information as possible and (with your permission) I'll try to get a permanent server space somewhere to keep this book from disappearing as well.
Hey, not a problem. It only took me a few minutes to find the files on my hard drive, package them up, and click on an upload button.

And I didn't have any part in scanning the book, nor is Mr. Massey a pseudonym of mine, so no need to have my permission for anything.
koneyn wrote:It's me again, this time to say thanks again and also to let you know I have slightly edited the PDF which Ryan kindly shared with me. Now the missing pages are inserted into the main file and the whole book has been rotated properly and trimmed near original margins. The file size has been reduced as well, now it's around 55Mb, although pretty decent quality is still there (not much difference, tbh).
This version looks great and is much quicker than the original to browse through on my PC. Did it take long to make these adjustments?

I've just started to get back into programming FM, and I'll probably be reading through a bit more of this book. So, thanks for making the revision!

koneyn

Post by koneyn » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 am

You're welcome! Regarding adjustments - it took me literally 5mins, no big deal, really. ;)

Btw, if anyone ever needs those for some strange reason: the empty white spaces were not completely deleted - just go to "crop" menu in Adobe Acrobat Professional and you'll see the new margin settings, so you can edit them or revert to original at any point.

benlf

Post by benlf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 am

There's a copy of The Complete DX7II book on eBay in the UK:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270872327778

:)

Billjv

Post by Billjv » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 am

I know this is probably a long shot, but I just bought a used DX7 II and found the Massey book online... And I'm hoping Big Gnome or someone still lurking might have the MP3 sound Sheet files mentioned in this thread (the rapid share link is dead now). Thanks in advance!!

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 am

Billjv wrote:I know this is probably a long shot, but I just bought a used DX7 II and found the Massey book online... And I'm hoping Big Gnome or someone still lurking might have the MP3 sound Sheet files mentioned in this thread (the rapid share link is dead now). Thanks in advance!!
I found the original zip file on my hard drive, so I just now uploaded it here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/nl1ltn

Hope this might be of help...