The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Re: The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Post by xpander » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:34 am

try an editor for the DX7/77/99/FS1R, they're much more efficient.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 am

I tried that, but I still didn't know what I was doing :)

Summa

Post by Summa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:27 pm

It helps me to visualize how the modulator waveform clinch (when going above the X-Axis)/stretch (when wandering below it ) the carrier, depending on the mod amount and frequency relations. Other than that I decompose complex operator-wavforms into multiple sine operators, what works fine since the ratio frequencies corespond to the harmonic series. The rest is simply experience when you did some hundred FM-Sounds from scratch in your life... ;)

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 am

I sold a copy of that with my DX7S tho I did have a lot of interest in the book by itself.

It's a very comprehensive walk through of the DX7 and FM synthesis but there are also many other books out there that cover the same ground however the highlight of the book is the patch building guide which covers what algorithms and frequencies to use for certain generic synth sounds.

If you spend a bit of time analyzing the patches on a DX and sussing out the effect algorithms layouts, modulation levels, operator frequencies and keytracking then it will give you just as much insight.

It's a good book that goes just that bit further than the rest of the FM/DX books I've gone through but it certainly won't turn you into Brian Eno. The DX7's manual should have covered this ground but Yamaha aren't renowned for their manuals or UI's.

Personally I'd stick with my FM7 or get a DX7 with a Drehbank if you want to get deep into FM.

The FS1R is also tempting.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:48 am

When I bought my DX7, the seller included the Complete DX7. It even still had the original vinyl still attached to the inside cover. Being new to FM synthesis, I found it to be immensely helpful. I'm not quite done with it, but when I am, would anyone be interested in buying it? Or maybe I can pass it along, and it becomes the "community book" that gets passed on to the next user in need of it when the last one is finished reading it?
You can't synthesize love

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 pm

Are you willing to ship it to the Netherlands? (and do you accept Paypal?) I've tried the links hfinn posted but no luck :(.

Since it's no longer in print I'd love to scan the entire bunch and put it in a PDF.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:58 am

Sure, I could ship to the Netherlands. Once I'm done with the book, I'll post on here...
You can't synthesize love

Summa

Post by Summa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted here, but their are also a few books/tutorials avaiable as PDF...

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/yamaha/dx ... ations.pdf
http://www.synthzone.com/midi/yamaha/sy ... og.pdf.zip
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~bensondj/html/music.pdf

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm

I actually have a copy of the book, although I only have two of the three "soundsheets" (flexi discs), but then, they're not indispensible.

If somebody can advise me on how to convert multiple A4 scans to a single pdf file, I'll have a go at scanning the book, but you'll have to be VERY patient as a/ it's a big book and b/ I don't have much time to do it!

Gilles
GC

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:46 pm

Also beware that you're breaking the copyright of the book by scanning and posting it..but most likely noone will care since the book is from 1986 anyway. I don't have a record player so I can't play the "soundsheets", but you make all the sounds on the synth anyways as you move through the book. Not really necessary then.

I'm just thinking of the crazy legal actions someone that scanned LOTR and put it online for free would get against them, since the Tokien Foundation are nuts about their intellectual property. Hardly doubt Howard Massey would care that much since it's an out-of-print book.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:38 pm

I've just borrowed another Massey title from the local library: A Synthesist's Guide to Acoustic Instruments. It's actually pretty thorough, covering a range of brass, strings, woodwind and percussion, on analogue subtractive, Phase Distortion (patches seem to be geared to the features of the CZ-101), and FM synthesis (with a focus on the DX7 and similar 6-op models). There's also info on sampling.

There are details on the physical construction of the instruments, how they're played, and why certain methods of synthesis are best for simulating that. There's even a spectral analysis of every instrument graphed out. All patches are written down setting by setting. Some are better than others, as you might expect... but it's a pretty good book if you can find one.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'm just thinking of the crazy legal actions someone that scanned LOTR and put it online for free would get against them, since the Tokien Foundation are nuts about their intellectual property. Hardly doubt Howard Massey would care that much since it's an out-of-print book.
exerting copywrong for scanning & sharing a book that's been OOP for over 20 years would be a retarded battle. unless they want to print it again and make money the old fashioned way (read: not through litigation), they hafta roll over! :lol:

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 pm

I have a copy with all three sound sheets. I'll make mp3's of them if anyone's interested.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Esus

Post by Esus » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

gcoudert wrote: I'll have a go at scanning the book, but you'll have to be VERY patient as a/ it's a big book and b/ I don't have much time to do it!

Gilles
Put me on your list please... :D

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 am

gcoudert wrote:I actually have a copy of the book, although I only have two of the three "soundsheets" (flexi discs), but then, they're not indispensible.

If somebody can advise me on how to convert multiple A4 scans to a single pdf file, I'll have a go at scanning the book, but you'll have to be VERY patient as a/ it's a big book and b/ I don't have much time to do it!

Gilles
I also have it. I don´t have the patience to scan it, but I can convert the scans to PDF if so you want. I may try to convert it to text with OCR software (so it´s much lighter), but I never did such a thing yet.
I also don´t have a record player to convert the flexidiscs to mp3... :cry: