The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Operatron

Re: The Complete DX7 by Howard Massey

Post by Operatron » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:47 am

try your local library :)

s3bash

Post by s3bash » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Since many of you have contacted me for the FM Theory and Applications here's the direct path to the source for you:

http://audiosonic.weebly.com/

Use the contact form to ask him for a photocopy,I got mine fast and cheap.I think he still might have some available.Good luck!
Last edited by s3bash on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattio
Band: Soft System

Post by mattio » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:38 pm

...indeed, great job, thanks a lot =D>

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Just picked up a copy of Complete DX7II for $59 just listed on Ebay (looks like it's in great shape) and paid $30 for shipping to Canada. I got my IIFD just a couple of weeks ago. It's really amazing. I really like its sound. And having used a CZ5000 for a couple of years I didn't find jumping into programming to daunting although I'll probably never be an expert.

The photocopies of the Chowning book aren't that cheap. He wanted 40 GBP plus 15 GBP for shipping to Canada. Which probably isn't teriible but if I'm shelling out $100 Canadian I kinda want the real thing. I think I'll scour my local bookstores over the next week or two.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:39 am

Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:10 am

and don't forget abe.com when you're looking for used books of any kind.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... X7&x=0&y=0

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:29 am

Being the nerdy librarian that I am, I did a search for "complete dx7" on Libraries Australia to see what libraries hold it in my country. I remembered borrowing a copy from Victoria University library in Footscray, Melbourne, years ago, but Libraries Australia doesn't list them as one of the holding libraries, but then a search on Vic Uni's local catalogue says they still hold 'The Complete DX7-II'.

However Libraries Australia says the University of Sydney holds both 'The Complete DX7' and 'The Complete DX7-II', and so if you don't want to hunt down and pay an exhorbitant price for your own copy (and you don't live near Vic Uni) you could ask your local public library to get it for you through inter-library loan from the University of Sydney.

s3bash

Post by s3bash » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 pm

plikestechno wrote:The photocopies of the Chowning book aren't that cheap. He wanted 40 GBP plus 15 GBP for shipping to Canada. Which probably isn't teriible but if I'm shelling out $100 Canadian I kinda want the real thing. I think I'll scour my local bookstores over the next week or two.

I negotiated mine as he's got no fixed prices for the audio books or copies he possesses.I got mine cheaper.You can amazon it if he sounded steep to you,was just a source,nothing more.
As for the real thing as you call it,my opinion is not to search for that "pristine" example for too
long(probably you'll never find it as we've all been searching for it for years now :twisted: ) as we're talking about pleasure to the ear not the one that meets the eye,so as long as you can read it it's more than enough,practice is the key and every day without it it's a step back for your potential future tunes :(
Anyway by the time you'll be able to FM your synth by the book your example of the real thing will be surely torn so unless you are looking to own a sealed example just to keep it on the shelf my advice is to hit it fast and loud with any original example or copy at hand as life's pretty damn short as we all know already.Happy synth-ing! :rr:

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Uh, I did Amazon it (http://www.amazon.com) and they have multiple copies through independant booksellers. I got a friend in the States to buy one for me yesterday and then ship it to Canada. Total will be about $50 Canadian for actual book and shipping when all is said and done. If I wanted to stay Canadian there was even one in Vancouver but they wanted $100.

I also like how you are pretending to be a customer when you are the actual guy selling the photocopies and trying to tell me that you sold a bunch of originals for 175 GBP.

Shouldn't have made your id so close to your email ID.

I was actually going to let it slide before you decided to bash me and give me life lessons in your last post for me not wanting to give you 55 quid for a f'ing photocopy of a 200 page book.

You friend, are a clown.

s3bash

Post by s3bash » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 pm

You my friend should watch your mouth because it's starting to flicker semantics here and I haven't insulted you in any way,I even gave you suggestions...so please get a hold of yourself and share your frustrations with someone else and not here.Just because I met the dude on another forum sharing same first name thus partial common forum id does not make any of your comments true-born.Cheers
Last edited by s3bash on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Wow. You're just completely incapable of telling the truth aren't you?

Obviously, this isn't a discussion worth continuing with someone as delusional as you.

It's funny how your only posts have been in this thread flogging your photocopies.

I wonder if people know they are gettiung photocopies. You didn't tell me until I was about to send money and thought I'd make sure to ask.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 pm

A search on WorldCat also reveals that there are many, many libraries in the United States that hold both "The Complete Yamaha DX7" and "The complete Yamaha DX7-II." I dare say this would also be true in the United Kingdom and Canada, but I didn't bother checking.

So why on earth would you bother spending time tracking down either of these books and then spending big bucks on them, when you can access them for free?

plikestechno

Post by plikestechno » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Because maybe I like owning things as opposed to borrowing things? How are you supposed to go through 400 pages of DX7 info and lessons, never mind remembering any of it in a week or two?

I prefer paper copies of manuals too as opposed to staring at my computer screen.

I enjoyed the library when I was a kid but now that I have money I prefer owning things if I can help it.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Because most libraries these days actually allow you to borrow for about a month and then offer you the option of renewing the loan several more times. Three or four months should be more than enough time to absorb all the information in one of these titles. It certainly was for me.

I'm not saying that the idea of owning a copy is ridiculous, in fact I still buy reference books myself - they're handy to have around. But it does seem as though these titles are not so easy to come by any more, so I am simply pointing out that it may be easier, cheaper and more convenient to borrow one from a library.

It's also an ideal way to try before you buy.

biggins

Post by biggins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:24 am

hi there,

apologies for bumping such an old thread but I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to re-up the scanned/pdf version of this book?? Have been hunting about for it but its pretty tricky to find a copy here in NZ.

many thanks in advance
biggins :D