Warm/cold subjectivity

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Re: Warm/cold subjectivity

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

wow. What a wordy thread!

I'll try to judge mine (and past synths) just for the sake of it:
MG-1: warm
HS-60: warm
CS-5: either
ESQ-1: either
AX-80: cold
EA-1: cold
CZ-101: eithter

I guess.... When I try to lay it out, I don't feel very confident about the answers...
so what do I put down here now?

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:06 pm

warm and cold could be subiective (imo saw is warm and square is cold) but there are agressive dirty synths like korg ms and more subtle and clean like yamaha cs. like guitar - clean or overdrived. you can do warm or cold patch on yamaha cs5 and korg ms10 but yamaha will never scream like korg and korg will never be so delicate like yamaha.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:[My theory is what we mean by "warm" is "more organic (acoustic?)," and what we mean by "cold" is "more electronic." .
So what we really want is electronic instruments that don't sound electronic, right? #-o
mirt wrote:imo saw is warm and square is cold
Ah, the old even vs. odd harmonics thing...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:42 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Question is, can something sound warm but thin, or are warmth and phatness immutable?
I find that my CS-50 manages to do that: do sounds that are thin (in a good way, ie not taking too much room) but still unquestionably warm.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:[My theory is what we mean by "warm" is "more organic (acoustic?)," and what we mean by "cold" is "more electronic." .
So what we really want is electronic instruments that don't sound electronic, right? #-o

I don't know what we want. I would say some people want one thing, other people want the other... some people want access to both, some people want access to neither.
My statement doesn't include a value judgement. Your response suggests that perhaps people who use synthesizers only want "electronic" sounds... but synthesizers weren't designed to "sound electronic" in the beginning, they were designed to make noises that other instruments couldn't make. The people most drawn to the "warm" synths are the people, on average, less interested in sounding clinical, electronic, mechanical, cold. The reason the whole "fat" thing arose was because people could ascertain when a synth had a more warm/acoustic sound to it. This was desirable to some and unimportant to others, and that's how it is today, as well. It's been made into a value judgement, but it shouldn't be. A tool should be judged on how it fits your needs, not on whether it has some desirable quality to some.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 pm

memedesigner wrote:
clubbedtodeath wrote:Question is, can something sound warm but thin, or are warmth and phatness immutable?
I find that my CS-50 manages to do that: do sounds that are thin (in a good way, ie not taking too much room) but still unquestionably warm.
I think Yamaha cornered the market on the thin/warm paradox! :)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:29 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:My theory is (and I hope everyone will weigh in on this): what we mean by "warm" is "more organic (acoustic?)," and what we mean by "cold" is "more electronic." Something along the lines of "more natural" as opposed to "less natural."
So synths are organic...thus they are made of wood...WITCHES! BURN THEM!

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:07 am

drunken thoughts:
warm and cold, as applied to music, are metaphorical. There is no technical manual as to how to apply them - they are by definition subjective. If I describe a sound that EVERYONE else descibes as warm, as a cold one, I'm not incorrect. All you could really do to analyze this is to catalog the types of sounds that people describe as warm or cold, but unless this usage evolved into a standard one, there simply can't be a right or wrong. It is simply an individual's reaction to a sound.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
memedesigner wrote:
I think Yamaha cornered the market on the thin/warm paradox! :)
Agreed. I have similar feeling about my DX7II - it isn't FAT, but some patches are extremely WARM to me - they have that 'acoustic' quality.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)