This is so crazy (Jupiter 4 prices)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Re: This is so crazy (Jupiter 4 prices)

Post by Synthacon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Price and the synth is VERY hard to rate. I remember when I bought my Syrinx, I paid £2000 for it, I wanted one and that was the rate. I sold it later for £2500, which was nice, but I know more that go for £1500 or so.

The Jupiter 4 is just not a nice synth, always puts me in mind of the Mono/Poly to be honest, but not as nice. Certainly not a £1200 synth, buy a Juno 60 and save yourself a ton of cash.
You always want just one more Synth!

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Agreed. I had a Jupiter 4. Worst analog poly I've had for sure. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for this. I like my 106 better ;)

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:50 pm

That's a lot of dough for a rather limited synth.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:55 pm

well, i beg to differ w gentlemen above, i'd take Jup4 over 106/60 any time. its VCOs n filter sound nothing short of fantastic. no need for chorus to sound organic. envelopes are snappiest arround etc. tho, truth be told, i dont see 4 as a typical poly (strings/pads/brass), but great for comping chords, lead, and above all, plinky - plonky liquidy arpeggios :happy7:

my 0.02 dineros

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm

How much do you think I can get for my half-broken JP4? 600£?

1200's outrageous.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Im looking for a Jupiter 6 and just recently prices seem to have gone from £750-800 to £1000... :(

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:18 pm

sensorium wrote:Agreed. I had a Jupiter 4. Worst analog poly I've had for sure. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for this. I like my 106 better ;)
I like my JU-1 better than a 106, which is why I sold my 106. Control of 7 envelopes over 4 pwns. It is one of two synths I'll never sell. The other being my JP-4.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:40 am

Yeah, if you are a person who is into functionality over sound, then you shouldn't even be considering a Jupiter 4. Stop acting like you're amazed that anyone would pay for anything "so limited," or I'll be forced to remind you that the most expensive synths in the world are functionally blown away by the simplest of softsynths.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

jayman
Gear: juno106, juno60, tr 707, sh-1000, volca bass/beats microkorg, arp odyssey (mk 1), drumtraks, mopho, microbrute, zoom tr3b, cz 3000, kurzwiel k2600,
Band: PHAEDRIDER
Location: casa de freakin oro california, jewel of the east county

Post by jayman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:51 am

kuroichi wrote:Its all just money.

People are exploiting the 'Vintage' thing and have been for a while now.

A lot of them are people who have no musical interest at all, and have acquired the synth cheaply and then sell it on for major profit.

A met a guy recently who sold a 606 and then afterwards revealed he got it for £10, this was after selling it for £225.
it goes like that for everything.., not just synths.. clothes, records, "decor" i've spent my whole life at the swapmeet and thrift stores, and i can assure anyone that the greed machine ebay has really been f ing with my way of life for the last 10 years at least... ebay has ruined lots of things for me..
i totally dig how our ears can hear all this s**t and and we don't even do like half of it with normal instruments, and then all we gotta do is hook a speaker up to some circuits and move those circuits around and we can push our hearing to it's limits

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:53 am

yes, i agree.
I think we should all do our part to bring down the prices of Jupiter 4's
I'll start.
I'll gladly pay ANYone here $500.00 PLUS SHIPPING for a Jupiter 4

..ya think?

anyone?
anyone?
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

SynthiChris

Post by SynthiChris » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 am

I've had good experiance with Roland products, I own a RE-101 Tape Space Echo, and A Cube 15x, and have both last me over the years, and Im usually willing to pay a couple extra bucks to get a good quality. But 1200 is past the limit.
-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Workstation-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Sequencer Expander-ESQ-1 Voice 80 A Cartridge-Sustain Pedal FSW-1

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:04 pm

What annoys me about the whole ebay deal is the craigslist seller unwillingness to recognize that he isn’t going to get the top price that his item sold for on ebay in the local market. There is an opportunity cost of selling locally and that is you have a greatly reduced number of interested parties, little potential for caught-up-in-the-moment bidding and quite possible a lower localized value in general than you see on the worldwide marketplace that is ebay. The obvious benefits are you get cash, you don’t have to package and ship and none of your prophet go to the paypal/ebay machine.

I mean there is nothing wrong with trying to get top dollar for your item but I get annoyed when people throw down the line “well it sold for this much on ebay once”. Well go sell it on ebay and hope that yours also is worth of the top-price-ever.

Back on topic and case-in-point there is a JP-4 just listed locally for $1400. Shame, if it were a decent price I might consider it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Okay, here's what we all do.

We'll work together!

One of us will post a synth some other person wants to sell on eBay. We'll put a BIN of $ (or £ or whatever) 1,000,000.00. Another of us will take that BIN (not paying, of course).
Then, the ACTUAL seller can post it for that on Craigslist, right? I mean, since so many people believe a single ridiculous sale on eBay defines price... right? :wink:

We can name the process after this Jupiter 4 sale!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:45 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Stop acting like you're amazed that anyone would pay for anything "so limited," or I'll be forced to remind you that the most expensive synths in the world are functionally blown away by the simplest of softsynths.
Hey, we dunt take kindly to yer logic 'round these here parts! [-X

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 pm

The thing is with the JP-4, its not for 'typical' polysynth sounds. It does do really nice strings and some nice voice type pads but it aint a pad synth generally. Its envelopes are very fast and just about all sounds are aggresive. It really shines at stabbing chords, big basslines, massive leads and ambient textures. Honest to god, its the nicest Roland sound iv ever heard but thats just my opinion. Its a synth you either love or hate.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,