How to acheive this sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
FluoD

How to acheive this sound?

Post by FluoD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:47 am

Okay, well thanks to the advice of this forum I bought myself my first synth. A juno 106s, a juno 106 with speakers basically in case any one didnt know.

But as I am new to synths i was wondering if anyone could help me acheive a sound a bit like the first 5 seconds of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYcl5drPDI. (before the numan esque riff)

It might not be acheiveable with a juno, but any advice on how that sort of sound would be created would be brilliant.

PS. If this should be in help, im sorrry, but that section seemed for more technical problems than general synthesis.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: How to acheive this sound?

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:01 am

Ideally you have an arpeggiator to play this riff - just hold E4-G4-A4-B4-D5 and switch it to "down". You might needs some additional equalizing to filter away more of the lower frequencies (or this is just due to the quality of the Youtube clip).

Here's a screenshot of Reaktor's Juno-106, and with minor modifications, this should work on the actual real one, too.

"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

FluoD

Post by FluoD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:40 am

wow thanks for your help. just out of interest, can i buy an arpegiattor that would be comaptible with the juno 106, or would it require a different synth, or a seperate midi controller, plugged into the juno.

Thanks again!

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 pm

Since your Juno 106 is equiped with midi, you can use it with your audio-midi interface with a software sequencer on your computer.

Another solution is to buy a midi sequencer. From small and cheap (MFB Step 64) to big and expensive...

With my Juno 60, i have the JSQ-60. But you can only use it with a Roland synth equiped with the DCB connection (Juno 60 and some Jupiter 8 with the 14 pin DCB).
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:59 pm

FluoD wrote:just out of interest, can i buy an arpegiattor that would be comaptible with the juno 106, or would it require a different synth, or a seperate midi controller, plugged into the juno.
Separate arpeggiators are pretty rare, but basically I only mention this in case you can't play the riff fast enough.

I've listened again to the clip and I'm hearing something extra, which can be done with a Juno-106 and the EQ with the same settings too - just switch off the pulse wave and set the volume of the sub osc to 75% or so. Result: http://www.theheartcore.com/music/pier106.mp3 .

I imagine that what you're hearing is a sampled, sped-up loop of sorts - I'm not certain, though.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

FluoD

Post by FluoD » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:35 pm

haha. wow thanks for that, its brilliant!

I feel musically inferior now :o but thanks anyway! i have so much to learn :D

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:04 pm

Since the 106's excellent for learning, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've learned synthesis on my Juno-60 (and my uncle had a 106 which I've played for a long time and owned for a brief while). When I was 13, I had no idea what I was doing - I even made notes to set everything back to the original settings when I selected a preset, being afraid that I would immediately overwrite it by changing anything! I got by just by memorizing what each slider did regardless of the label, and later I figured out the actual theory behind everything.

Your next step should be a 2-oscillator machine - if you thought you knew the 106, a new world will open with detuning, sync and multiple envelopes! :)

FluoD

Post by FluoD » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:42 am

is the best way to learn just to experiment? or am i better of learning the theory aswell.
i seem to find it hard to acheive nice high pitched sounds (twinkling sounds are what im after i guess)
Oh well, im sure i'll get there eventually!

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Twinkly sounds:
- high-pitched
- cut off the lows
- play pentatonic arpeggio - if you want to, over 2 or 3 octaves, like in Lionel Richie's "Hello".

The Juno allows experimentation - every sliders serves a single purpose - but for anything menu-driven (say, a JX8P) or more advanced, theory helps a lot.

FluoD

Post by FluoD » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

HAHA. im gonna sound obsessed with Late Of The Pier now. but some of their sounds intrigue me..

how was the sound in this video at about 0.40, acheived. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0unB04j_lw

Im a complete beginner, but im certain that cannot be acheived on a Juno. but im still interested to learn about it.

Thanks in advance!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:52 pm

That's easy.

Single oscillator set to sawtooth wave, gated ADSR (A = 0, D = 0, S = max, R = 0) for both the VCA, VCF, filter fully open, no resonance and a sine/triangle LFO modulating pitch, brought in by with modulation wheel. Or just ride the oscillator's pitch (frequency) knob or pitch wheel/bender for a more natural vibrato.

Then just hit random notes. Really, really simple sound that almost any subtractive synth can pull off easily - the Juno is more than capable.