Earliest Minimoog recordings

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tim gueguen

Re: Earliest Minimoog recordings

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Its possible the synth on The Yes Album isn't a Moog at all. Yes purchased the prototype Synthi KB1 from EMS sometime in 1970. It was basically a VCS3 in a flat case with a 29 key mini keyboard. Given that it wasn't uncommon in the early days to call any synth a Moog it could be it was actually this instrument that was used. Jon Anderson appears to be playing it, or at least pretending to, in this vid of "Yours Is No Disgrace" from German TV.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 pm

You might be right about that Tim Gueguen, but I rather think it's a Moog modular on Yours Is No Disgrace (it's simply too early for being a production Minimoog and I highly doubt they had access to one of the prototypes at that early stage in the UK).

"The Yes Album" was recorded at Advision studios, London back in sep/oct 1970 and I know they had a Moog modular there at the time. I'm not completely sure but I think the owner was Mike Vickers--formerly of Manfred Mann's band-- who had one of the first modular systems in the UK. It was Mike who introduced the Moog modular to Keith Emerson.
Among his credits as a Moog modular programmer are Beatles' "Abbey Road" (1969) and Gentle Giant's "Octopus" (1973).

Speaking of Keith Emerson, he mentions in Analog Days that the synth-solo on Lucky Man was recorded at Advision studios using their Moog. I always thought he used his custom ICA on that song and "Tank" but maybe it hadn't arrived yet by the time they recorded those songs.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:14 pm

oo

The ride-out ending of "Suffragette City" features a unison supporting line that is either Bowie on his sax placed waaaay down in the mix, or it is a synth. I have listened to this line repeatedly, and I swear I hear a mono synth with resonance. Any idea if that was Minimoog?

Curious . . .

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Mick Ronson is credited with playing "ARP" synthesizer on that tune (recorded in Jan '72), presumably an ARP 2600 or Soloist.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:17 am

tim gueguen wrote:Yes purchased the prototype Synthi KB1 from EMS sometime in 1970. It was basically a VCS3 in a flat case with a 29 key mini keyboard. Given that it wasn't uncommon in the early days to call any synth a Moog it could be it was actually this instrument that was used. Jon Anderson appears to be playing it, or at least pretending to, in this vid of "Yours Is No Disgrace" from German TV.
Good call tim - I'd forgotten about their KB1 and it certainly looks like it on the vid. I'm inlcined to think however that EMS would have had a few things to say if it was being referred to as a Moog, given that much of their advertising at the time was clearly in direct competition with Moog (ie. the "Psst - don't play M**g, play EMS" slogan that they used). Didn't Dr. Bob actually visit EMS at one point?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Micke wrote:
Minimoog model D (RA Moog & Musonics Moog)
Feb/March 1971 - Rick Wakeman/Strawbs - From The Witchwood
Rectification :!:

It turns out that the info I found on this is all wrong. Rick just confirmed to me
that the 'Moog' on Strawb's "From The Witchwood" was in fact a Moog modular IIIC.
The album was recorded at Advision studios and according to Rick they had two big Moog's there,
one IIIP and one IIIC (I'm guessing one of those was owned by Mike Vickers).

The first time Rick recorded with a Minimoog was on Yes' "Fragile".

Micke
Last edited by Micke on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Micke wrote:Rick just confirmed to me that the 'Moog' on Strawb's "From The Witchwood" was in fact a Moog modular IIIC.
:?: :shock: :D

- CM

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Here's an update on my original post

Note the Mother Mallard badge slapped onto the side of the model A.

Minimoog model B prototype
summer/fall 1970 - Sun RA - My Brother The Wind vol.1 & vol.II, The Night Of The Purple Moon
and Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 1 & 2 (Live in France, Aug 1970)

Sun Ra with model B prototype, RMI Rocksichord and Farfisa professional organ.

Minimoog model A prototype
1971 - David Borden/Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Company - The Mini A provided
the lead line on the track "Music".

Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Co. - Steve Drews and David Borden rehearsing for an
upcoming gig in the early '70s.

In April 1970 MMPM performed the piece "Easter" live using the minimoog prototype A - the first ever use of a Mini in public.

Minimoog model D (RA Moog & Musonics Moog)
June 1971 - Don Preston/The Mothers (Frank Zappa) - Filmore East (Live)
July 1971 - Manfred Mann/Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself (RA Moog #1031)
1971 - Jim Klahr/Salem Mass - Witch Burning (RA Moog #1023)
Aug-sep 1971 - Rick Wakeman/YES - Fragile
Late 1971 - Manfred Mann/Manfred Mann's Earth band - self-titled debut album (RA Moog #1031)
Jan 1972 - Keith Emerson/ELP - Trilogy (Musonics minimoog #1203)
Jan 1972 - Flavio Premoli/PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto (RA Moog)
Apr-May 1972 Don Preston/Frank Zappa - Waka/Jawaka & The Grand Wazoo
Apr–June 1972 - Rick Wakeman/Yes - Close To The Edge
Aug 1972 - Jan Hammer/The Mahavishnu Orchestra - 'Birds Of Fire'
May-Oct 1972 - Richard Tandy/ELO - ELO II
1972 - Flavio Premoli/PFM - Per Un Amico/Photos Of Ghosts
1972 - Klaus Doldinger/Passport - Second Passport

Manfred Mann live in Australia, Nov 1972.

I'm still not sure whether Mike Pinder used a Mini on "A Question Of Balance" so I left it out for the time being.
Last edited by Micke on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm still not sure whether Mike Pinder used a Mini on "A Question Of Balance" so I left it out for the time being.
I think we can at least safely say Mike used a Mini on "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour" from 1971.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:53 am

Slidey_Knobss wrote:
Micke wrote:Aug/sep 1971 - Rick Wakeman/YES - Fragile
Rick Wakeman... my favorite minimoog user.. lush screams and incredible fingers...
mine too. as for pre-'73 recordings, Rick also used it on monumental "Close To The Edge" Yes album from 1972. and this, with the work he did on the following "Tales From Topographic OCeans (1973)", and Patrick Moraz work on "Relayer (1974)" are my all-time favorite minimoog recordings/solos..

i wish i picked up a R.A.Moog mini when i had the chance a few yrs back (i went for p5 instead). i've just played a late 1xxxx moogmusic minimoog again, and altough abso-fkn-lutely incredible in its own right, its a different, harder sound from the early machines, featured on all these recordings. bottom line, gotta get me a mini, of any kind.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:14 am

clusterchord wrote:"Tales From Topographic OCeans (1973)"
The Minimoog stuff on Tales is among my favourite synth recordings, ever. The lyrics are rather crappy imho, but the music, musicianship, and that sweet Moog sound more than compensates for it :) I'm dying to try those sounds with my "new" MidiMini...

- CM

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:22 pm

clusterchord wrote:
...as for pre-'73 recordings, Rick also used it on monumental "Close To The Edge" Yes album from 1972.
Yeah you're right. I just added that album to the list.

Micke

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Chicory tip: Son Of My Father (1972):
http://www.dailymotion.com/channel/musi ... b+minimoog

While the keyboard player "uses" a (Musonics) Minimoog in there I'm not sure whether the song was actually recorded with one. IMO it could just as well have been a Moog Modular. At least, that's what Giorgio Moroder used on his own version.

Reportedly, Chicory Tip's version was the first #1 hit to feature a synthesizer.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:47 pm

What synth is playing the bassline in Theme for The Persuaders from 1971 ?
Or "Snobbar som jobbar" as it was called in Swedish. :lol:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Afaik it was a Moog modular. John Barry (the composer of The Persuaders theme) had already made use of it back in 1969, first in Midnight Cowboy and then in the James Bond flick "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Title Credits (John Barry, 1969]

The Persuaders opening/ending (John Barry, 1971)

Micke