im in love with my JX8P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Slidey_Knobss

im in love with my JX8P

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:19 pm

since i got that pg800... my oh my... its very wonderful isn't it thou i wish for one more oscillator... but nahhh
i never dealt with a monster jupiter but is Jx8p filter near it or... i dont know is it another planet? i had a juno 106 i like my jx8p far more with pg800 thou...
Fatty... you're the one for me...

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Re: im in love with my JX8P

Post by Box » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Yep, the JX-8P is one sweet synth. Of course I'm never going to buy the programmer since they alone are going for twice what I paid for the 8P to begin with. But the filters are different from Jupiter-8; I want to say the Alpha Juno's share the 8P filter though. I do know that the JX-3P, Juno-60, and Jupiter-8 have the same filter. But I've managed to coax some very Jupiter like patches like the leads for "Separate Ways" and "Axel F." Very awesome synth once you get the after-touch restored. Take the Stab Brass preset and remove all the dynamics and throw some reverb on it and you get the lead for "The Final Countdown". I've had it since November of 2007 and have loved it from day one. So far my favourite synth that I have owned. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Slidey_Knobss

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Box wrote:I've had it since November of 2007 and have loved it from day one. So far my favourite synth that I have owned. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.
i dont know what level of enjoyment you have for a synth but you bet man, its my favorite too. its the reason i made this topic... ill try that Stab brass thingy unison or solo? and that thing when you make the led flicker by pushing it twice( i figured out this by not reading the manual its actually activating some sound modules and i know you already know :) ) maybe its not accurate to tell microkorg is a wolf in a sheep's clothing... :D

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:58 pm

Slidey_Knobss wrote:ill try that Stab brass thingy unison or solo?
Actually, it's done in regular poly mode.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Slidey_Knobss

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:11 am

ahh man i have that trouble when im in poly mode when not all keys have the same volume? dead osc? and when i play three notes in a sequence in flicker unison mode i got that lower octaves osc sound jumping backwards in a sequences too... so i rarely go poly

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am

Slidey_Knobss wrote:i dont know what level of enjoyment you have for a synth but you bet man, its my favorite too. its the reason i made this topic... ill try that Stab brass thingy unison or solo? and that thing when you make the led flicker by pushing it twice( i figured out this by not reading the manual its actually activating some sound modules and i know you already know :) ) maybe its not accurate to tell microkorg is a wolf in a sheep's clothing... :D
I've owned several synths over the past year or so, some of which were "buy/fix/sell" synths, and the JX-8P was the hardest one for me to sell. It's a great synth, especially for pads. I even tried recreating a JX pad I used in a song on my MKS-80 Super Jupiter and was only moderately successful.

As you discovered, there are two Unison modes. We'll call them "steady" and "blinking". "Steady" layers 2 voices, so you get 3 note polyphony with some detune for a fatter sound. "Blinking" also layers 2 voices but one of them plays an octave lower.

There's two Solo modes too, one that plays 1 voice and one that plays all 6 together (basically a solo unison).

Slidey_Knobss, if you're getting different volumes on different notes, it could be the keyboard's velocity sensing acting strange. Try playing 6-note chords in poly mode to see if you really have a dead voice.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:40 am

I never got to really enjoy my JX8P because I was not ever going to buy the programmer. I made for some really nice pads, but after awhile I had to part ways with it.

Slidey_Knobss

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 am

Slidey_Knobss wrote:ahh man i have that trouble when im in poly mode when not all keys have the same volume? dead osc?
sorry i meant dead voice..
i hooked up dx 7 to play my jx8p i dont care about aftertouch its old and my finger hurts. all 6 voice working very well if i do some manual on pg800. but on some preset that volume thing acting again... but i dont know man... it changing... always. im sorry if my statement changing but the synth does that to me... display on... off. i unscrew the sides because strangely it work good every time i open the case when the initial tuning started. maybe cables, i dont have any background in electronics so, sorry if i sound stupid. btw your kristens_remix beefy :) i would guess those pads are jx8p...

Slidey_Knobss

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am

Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
man your in synth heaven is that pro one doing well?

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:53 am

Slidey_Knobss wrote:
Slidey_Knobss wrote:ahh man i have that trouble when im in poly mode when not all keys have the same volume? dead osc?
sorry i meant dead voice..
i hooked up dx 7 to play my jx8p i dont care about aftertouch its old and my finger hurts. all 6 voice working very well if i do some manual on pg800. but on some preset that volume thing acting again... but i dont know man... it changing... always. im sorry if my statement changing but the synth does that to me... display on... off. i unscrew the sides because strangely it work good every time i open the case when the initial tuning started. maybe cables, i dont have any background in electronics so, sorry if i sound stupid. btw your kristens_remix beefy :) i would guess those pads are jx8p...
It has to do with the velocity. Right now my low C is more sensitive than the rest of the keys and I'm going to have to bend the contact up a little to balance it out. But if you have all the dynamics off the volume should be even across the board. But on the flicking LED's.. Poly mode flicking does something with the portamento(can't remember atm the specifics). Unison mode flicking has it set to 3 voice poly with the detuned voices being an octave lower. Solo mode flicking has all 6 voices stacked in mono mode. But it sounds like you'll need to have someone reshape the contacts so it'll be even across the board; or play without dynamics on and you'll be OK. But even without dynamics it's still an awesome board; all my programmed patches are without velocity/dynamics. Hope you get yours running right.

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 am

I love my 8P. I spent all last Sunday tweaking it and setting it up to work with a behringer BCR2000 that does most of my buisness in Logic. I'd been wanting to snag the programmer but all that seemed kinda pointless with the BCR.

32 rotary encoders beat the h**l outta menu-diving. I think the BCR was like $120 too :D

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 pm

downgrade wrote:I love my 8P. I spent all last Sunday tweaking it and setting it up to work with a behringer BCR2000 that does most of my buisness in Logic. I'd been wanting to snag the programmer but all that seemed kinda pointless with the BCR.

32 rotary encoders beat the h**l outta menu-diving. I think the BCR was like $120 too :D
I had been wondering if the BCR would work with them. But still, even at $120 I'll continue to to use the single data slider. I've already gotten used to it and I'm not gonna pay the same or more than what I paid for the keyboard to begin with. :wink:

downgrade
Gear: Evolver. Syntecno TeeBee MKIII. Vermona DRM1 MKII. Nova modded SH-101. MAM SQ16. AS Red Square V2. Thingamakit. MFB Kraftzwerg. Sherman FilterBank V1

Post by downgrade » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:02 pm

Box wrote:
downgrade wrote:I love my 8P. I spent all last Sunday tweaking it and setting it up to work with a behringer BCR2000 that does most of my buisness in Logic. I'd been wanting to snag the programmer but all that seemed kinda pointless with the BCR.

I had been wondering if the BCR would work with them. But still, even at $120 I'll continue to to use the single data slider. I've already gotten used to it and I'm not gonna pay the same or more than what I paid for the keyboard to begin with. :wink:

Yeah, it works great. If you can find one cheap second-hand, b y all means go for it. Man.....set the JX-8P up without flaw and then went to set up on my Wavestation. NO DICE :D

The BCR doesn't pick anything up from the data wheel, eh oh well.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Your thread starter asked about differences with the Jupiters. I have a Jupiter 8, an Alpha Juno 1, and used to own a JX8P.
Although it's been a while, from memory, in comparison with the JP8, the 8P has alot more emphasis on the midrange, slower envelopes and zero drift in the oscillators. In comparison with Alpha Juno, the AJ is squelchier and although the filter on both distorts at high resonance, the 8P tends to only do so in the midrange, otherwise they sound similar with single osc patches and similar sub-osc settings.
What do I miss about the 8P? It had this "glowing" quality at higher resonance that even the 3P seems to be missing in 80's Rolands. Pads are of course really thick, but the Super JX/MKS-70 is better for those. Case in point: http://www.babic.com/SYN/MKS70-DblPad-Spectrum.mp3 The 8P would require more multitracking to do that. Sure do like that midrange filter distortion though. The osc sync is pretty rockin' too.

The Robert Wittek workshop is a great demonstration of it, albeit with effects: http://www.fsgdc.at/download/jx8p_workshop.mp3
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:42 am

Heehee, whenever I see talk of the JX8P, or see one, I immediately start humming

"DADADAAAAA-DAAAAAAAAAAA..DADADA DA DAAAAA".

Guess which song :P Great sound though.