im in love with my JX8P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: im in love with my JX8P

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:31 pm

braincandy wrote:The person who paid that much has to be a newb. No one in their right mind would pay that much for an 8P unless they're a newb or just have money to burn. I liked my 8P and now have a JX-10, but I wouldn't have paid more than $250 for one and it would have had to have been minty for that price. They've been going for that rate since I sold mine back in '01.
I paid 450$ for mine in June 2008 (great condition, with original case, mint manual and cartridge) but I'm no newb. You have to consider that they are not as abundant in all countries. Personally, I have never seen one in great condition go for under 350 on the internet in Norway. I guess I could have found one in Sweden for maybe 300 or less, but the shipping is damn expensive around here too, so the price would be the same in the end. I picked mine up locally from a studio guy I know and trust, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:12 pm

I had an MKS70 for a while, never really clicked with it. It is heavily reliant on the chorus, the envelopes are slow and there's no PWM. It did do nice expansive slow pads but my AN1X does these very nicely (and I'm no VA fan-boy).

Got a MKS50 recently, I think it sounds MUCH better - PWM and fully variable chorus more than make up for the loss of an oscillator and other features. It just sounds more musical to my ears.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:58 pm

D-Collector wrote:
braincandy wrote:The person who paid that much has to be a newb. No one in their right mind would pay that much for an 8P unless they're a newb or just have money to burn. I liked my 8P and now have a JX-10, but I wouldn't have paid more than $250 for one and it would have had to have been minty for that price. They've been going for that rate since I sold mine back in '01.
I paid 450$ for mine in June 2008 (great condition, with original case, mint manual and cartridge) but I'm no newb. You have to consider that they are not as abundant in all countries. Personally, I have never seen one in great condition go for under 350 on the internet in Norway. I guess I could have found one in Sweden for maybe 300 or less, but the shipping is damn expensive around here too, so the price would be the same in the end. I picked mine up locally from a studio guy I know and trust, and I am very satisfied with my purchase.
D-Collector, I should have qualified my comment that I was speaking from the perspective of buying a JX-8P in the U.S., not abroad. Most of the 8P's I've seen here in the States have been $250 or less for years. It's understandable that they would cost more in places where they're not as readily available.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 pm

I'll admit I had a feeling that was what you meant :wink:. I really wish they were cheaper here, so I could have used that extra 100$ on something else. Like a drum machine or something.

Like I have said before, pricing and hype is really bad here. For example, almost everytime I visit "swedish ebay" (Tradera.com) there is some j**k with a FB01 or a MT-32, claming the module is a "cult" module or a priceless and classic vintage instrument, asking 250$. Yesterday there was a guy wanting over 300$ for a tired U-220.. It just makes me sad. The swedes here probably know what I'm talking about.

The only plus with the instrument market here is that circuit bent instruments (destroyed, that is) are almost non-existant.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:32 am

re: 3P vs 8P.. well I've got them both here now and I think what it comes down to is the 8P is a great unti for it's features and MOST of the sound of the 3P. It also has things that the 3P can't do (2 envs) but the 3P does definitely sound different, better depending on your preference.

I would have liked the 3P to have more features (solo/portamento/unison.. maybe even velocity but that's not a sticking point for most things *I* use it for). An arpeggiator would have been nice too (would have traded the sequencer for that which isn't much use to me these days other than an occasional toy).

So both synths are as good as they are flawed which is probably why I have BOTH :) - with those I had no need for JX-10 but I do think it's a great looking synth and if I saw one cheap would grab it just to complete the set (but I'd have some massive crossover going on :) ).

As for the JX10 vs JX8P - JX10 seems to have some quirks in midi and some fiddly aspects that make the 8P more fun/hands on in comparison. That's all I was saying, both would be nice to own for anyone reading this. Nick Rhodes owned 2 JX-10s around 'Notorious' time so that is also a plus point if you want endorsments.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:16 am

Well I just saw a JX-8P go for £400 on ebay which has to be some kinda modern record (in the last year)... of course, we'll wait and see if the buyer pays or if it was shill bidding etc... :)

Oh and if people are up for £400 for a jx-8p I may consider selling mine and making a few hundred profit ;) (plus I got a cart with mine)....

.. I'm joking of course, I don't buy these synths to sell them I love 'em all :)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Just picked one up for 170 us dollars...about 100 euros?
No case or manual but the thing is in good shape, and as far as I can tell the aftertouch works great.
It's my first analog and so far I'm most impressed with the warmth, low bass notes, and overall character.

I've had several VAs and romplers and the first time I touched the soundtrack patch then and made a slightly detuned double sawtooth bass i was hooked. I'd like to try the BCR2000 hookup people have mentioned, but I don't think the editing is THAT bad - although I wouldn't try too much in real time that way.
I tried the PG800 emulator software but the install was in German and I think it didn't like Windows Vista, no luck.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 am

blavatsky wrote:Just picked one up for 170 us dollars...about 100 euros?
No case or manual but the thing is in good shape, and as far as I can tell the aftertouch works great.
It's my first analog and so far I'm most impressed with the warmth, low bass notes, and overall character.

I've had several VAs and romplers and the first time I touched the soundtrack patch then and made a slightly detuned double sawtooth bass i was hooked. I'd like to try the BCR2000 hookup people have mentioned, but I don't think the editing is THAT bad - although I wouldn't try too much in real time that way.
I tried the PG800 emulator software but the install was in German and I think it didn't like Windows Vista, no luck.
TBH any software editor is 'almost' as bad as doing it via menus as you have to still move your hand/mouse to 1 slider at a time and tweak it up/down... (this is for 'simple' synths like the JX analogs, for the D50 for example the software is much better for a complete overview of course) ok it's much better than typing in the parameter number then adjusting with one slider on the 8P itself. I was using the software editors and felt, that while they were 'easier' they lacked in fun esp when just playing around (and would actually prefer to keep my hands on the synth and not one on a mouse!) in the end (before my BCR!) I just ended up using the buttons/slider on the JX-8P as I felt more 'in the zone'. If I was doing live tweaking or on the fly editing especially.

My main point is that when I hooked up a BCR (Effortless btw) it really opened up the synth, and I was making patch after patch for quite a while...the whole point of these 'hands on' interfaces isn't so much to make programming 'easy' as to make it so enjoyable you just don't ever consider NOT tweaking every patch a little (and going off on an adventure into sound)... in other words you never think twice about programming when you have a PG or BCR hooked up to the 8P, it just feels natural.

Also you don't need it in edit mode... so you just tweak away and switch patches as you see fit. IF you put it in edit mode the 8P's screen will handily change to whatever parameter you are currently adjusting on the BCR so it's good for extra clarity.

To sum up soft/menu programming is a matter of taste but BCR/PG programming is just FUN! :)

mattio
Band: Soft System

Post by mattio » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 am

The JX-8P definitely a great synth and I feel it's been kind of a sleeper overshadowed by the Juno series for a good while eventhough it's a two osc. I bought mine some 3 or 4 years ago after having sold my Juno 106. It had a few nonworking keys and I paid aroud $250 for it including the MC-16 from a studio around my neighbourhood. The keys where an easy fix and the famous aftertouch has worked fine on mine since I got it. I also purchased the PG-800 a bit later on but had to dig up much more for that; around $400 and a little later I managed to get hold of the original PG-800 carrying bag. :) I love the classic Roland chorus and I find it quite useful for good bass sounds and
classic 80's poly chords/leads aswell as the infamous pads and strings. I'm glad to see more folks are starting to take interest in it and give it the love it really deserves.

Mattio

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Pro5 wrote:
blavatsky wrote:J. I'd like to try the BCR2000 hookup people have mentioned, but I don't think the editing is THAT bad - although I wouldn't try too much in real time that way.
I tried the PG800 emulator software but the install was in German and I think it didn't like Windows Vista, no luck.[/quote

My main point is that when I hooked up a BCR (Effortless btw) it really opened up the synth, and I was making patch after patch for quite a while...the whole point of these 'hands on' interfaces isn't so much to make programming 'easy' as to make it so enjoyable you just don't ever consider NOT tweaking every patch a little (and going off on an adventure into sound)... in other words you never think twice about programming when you have a PG or BCR hooked up to the 8P, it just feels natural.

Also you don't need it in edit mode... so you just tweak away and switch patches as you see fit. IF you put it in edit mode the 8P's screen will handily change to whatever parameter you are currently adjusting on the BCR so it's good for extra clarity.

To sum up soft/menu programming is a matter of taste but BCR/PG programming is just FUN! :)
We're talking about the Behringer programmer right? Can the Behringer and JX work together without the use of a computer? Thanks.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:58 am

i am currently trying to resist buying one to save up for a little phatty or something hot. you guys arent helping. i have a 3P with pg-200 and i love it . i am a jx fan. i would love to have a 8P and there's one for sale around for 200 CND in great condition with the original hard plastic case. its not easy to let it pass by

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:40 am

Hehe, that's very understandable.
I have one and totally love it's sound. If i were you i would grab it! I would not mind buying a second one.
Happy resisting! :mrgreen: