My "New" Toy Is Here! =)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Re: My "New" Toy Is Here! =)

Post by Box » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:36 pm

OMNI26 wrote:BTW, according to my buddy Paul at SynthTech (former Curtis CEM chip source), the CEM chips in the JX-3P (CEM3340's, 3360's, and 3372's) if pulled out and sold separately are worth more than $1,000! Good deal considering the current prices of JX-3P's, but seems like a shame to trash a classic like the JX-3P just to harvest the chips.

Also, he did tell me that the JX-3P is the last "cheap" synth that is a source for harvesting CEM chips out there. I suppose it is conceivable that one synth should die so that many others (i.e. Curtis-based "high end" synths like the Prophet-5, etc.) can live on!
Huh, I didn't know that the 3P had Curtis chips in it. So, what all is Curtis; oscillators etc...?
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Are you sure? I know the SH-101 has a CEM VCO but I've never heard of the JX-3P using any CEM chips at all.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:45 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:Are you sure? I know the SH-101 has a CEM VCO but I've never heard of the JX-3P using any CEM chips at all.
That's what I was thinking.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

ism/schism

Post by ism/schism » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:54 pm

The 3340 is a VCO chip (this is what is used by the SH-101 as well as Jupiter 6)

The JX-3P has DCOs, so you have a problem right there.

There are no CEMs in the JX-3P.

j.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

I have to agree - I'm not finding any evidence of CEM chips used in the 3P.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:25 pm

You are all correct....my bad. For some reason I was thinking of the Prophet-600. Sorry guys!

I need more sleep. :oops:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:30 pm

OMNI26 wrote:You are all correct....my bad. For some reason I was thinking of the Prophet-600. Sorry guys!

I need more sleep. :oops:
:lol:

Don't worry, happens to the best of us.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:50 am

OMNI26 wrote:the CEM chips in the JX-3P (CEM3340's, 3360's, and 3372's)
very interesting. what about those in the MKS-30, are they the same?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Congratulations Box. I have to give that demo of yours a listen. I had the opportunity to purchase a JX-3P + PG-200, local pickup, for $ 350 earlier this year. I was tempted but I just have not been GASing for synths for about 8 months. I think that may be due to the fact that I have covered all the functions I feel I need to have covered as a musician. Anyway, have fun with your new toy! :D
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 am

gfriden wrote:Congratulations Box. I have to give that demo of yours a listen. I had the opportunity to purchase a JX-3P + PG-200, local pickup, for $ 350 earlier this year. I was tempted but I just have not been GASing for synths for about 8 months. I think that may be due to the fact that I have covered all the functions I feel I need to have covered as a musician. Anyway, have fun with your new toy! :D
Thanks. The JX-3P is very awesome and complements the JX-8P quite nicely. Find you one for under $200 make sure to grab it! Idk about you but I'm always GASing for synths, I have champagne tastes on a water pocketbook... Yes, even beer is too expensive, lol. :wink:

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re:

Post by cornutt » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:32 am

The JX-3P, as has been pointed out, has no CEM chips in it. It does, however, have IR3109's in the VCF circuits, which is a not-inexpensive IC itself. The best of the '80s Roland filters are the IR3109-based ones.
crystalmsc wrote: very interesting. what about those in the MKS-30, are they the same?
The MKS-30, unfortunately, uses the infamous 800017A VCF/VCA IC's.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:53 am

Box wrote:even the Jupiter-8 wouldn't be itself without it's chorus (if chorus is overkill on any Roland this is the one).
no chorus there. and indeed it sounds huge without need for any. however, i agree that situation with chorus "taking over" the source aint as black-n-white... if u set a very slow sweep and low depth, or even better, split the signal and mix dry n wet.. (which i do with most mod efx anyway) u will get a subtle animation n thickness in sound without chorus masking the fundamental character of source sound. no problem there. unless u wnat it to be like that.. u change settings for more intensity. further not all choruses are created equal in this regad either. juno60 sucks at this indeed. too "electronic" sounding, and inflexible. better grab a Boss CE-2 or somtin..
Bitexion wrote:Sure, the CS80 had chorus, and also all the string synths of the 70's, but the synthex was the first REAL synth that anyone could afford to buy, compared to the CS80 that was only available for studio musicians and VERY rich people
not quite. JP-4, CS-50, CS-60, CS-70m, Trident were all comparably affordable, and very much real polyphonic analog VCO synths. all had chorus and/or ensemble circuits in late 70s, yrs before synthex showed up. however, i'd agree that, together w one in eminent310/solina, the synthex is most beautiful and deep sounding triple chorus/ensemble circuits ever made. i wish someone like JH would clone it, but exactly. tough, as u need a synthex arround to do it accurately ..
OMNI26 wrote:BTW, according to my buddy Paul at SynthTech (former Curtis CEM chip source), the CEM chips in the JX-3P (CEM3340's, 3360's, and 3372's) if pulled out and sold separately are worth more than $1,000! ..Also, he did tell me that the JX-3P is the last "cheap" synth that is a source for harvesting CEM chips out there. I suppose it is conceivable that one synth should die so that many others (i.e. Curtis-based "high end" synths like the Prophet-5, etc.) can live on!
i know its been covered already.. but holy analog chip, batman.. no CEMs in sight in Juno or JX series. only Roland synths that ever used CEMs were 101/202/JP-6 and MKS-80 REv4. im speculating, perhaps he meant Prophet 600 as chip "donor". it uses P5 oscillators (3340), Xpander filters (3372) filters, and 3360 VCAs (like ppgs and obxa/ob8)..all that would ammount to arround $600 - 700 aprox at current chip prices.

Don, great demo. as always. ;)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:52 pm

Wait a tic, does that not mean the ESQ-1 will be a good synth to hang on to for spare CEM chips? They have CEM filters at least and are among the cheapest boards you can find.