The Elektron Machinedrum Thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tyrannosaurus mark

The Elektron Machinedrum Thread

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:56 pm

(I'm pretty sure one of these doesn't exist..)

So post pictures and tales of Machinedrums!!

Mine arrives this week, it's a MD UW MK1. I've never played on one before, and I make electronic indie-pop music which is a far cry from anything any online demo shows it doing. But I have faith! I plan to use it (to start with) to synthesis Casio-style percussion, but of course in an indefinitely tweak-able way :D

How do you use yours?
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The Elektron Machinedrum Thread

Post by JSRockit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:24 pm

You'll be fine... the MDUW sounds great as a sampler...so even if, for your music, the machinedrum's synthesis doesn't do it for you, you can add whatever you like. I love this machine very much.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:57 pm

I've been reading your extensive contribution to the Elektron forum, been finding it all very helpful!

I actually already use an MPC as the centre piece of my live setup, but I'm going to use the MD to make everything more exciting. That is, to use the paramter lock settings to make subtles changes to every hit, and to give it more 'feel'. However I only have a theorietical understanding of the machine so I'll have to see how it goes!

Do you find analog lovers are drawn to this machine? I use a Moog LP, and love the sound of anaolg synths, but something about the Elektron draws me to it. Not really keen on full metallic wide open filter sounds but rather more hushed ones. Hope it works out! :)

SO you use both a monomachine and a machinedrum together to make music? How does that work for you?

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:21 am

this "song" is mostly MD sps-1

as much as i like the machinedrum, i can't get a satisfying kick out of it. to cover that ground i got an mbase01 to go along with it. your mileage may vary. either way, enjoy!
god elton can't you suck

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 am

Did you use the MD UW though? Because surely you can sample in the kick you want. I'll most likely be sampling in kicks, as I don't like that sort of 909 or 808 techo kick, but rather a sort of EQed real sounding kick

Serious lack of MD pictures :(

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Serious lack of MD pictures :(
Gah?

It is awesome. One of my favorite pieces of equipment. Using the LFO's on hihats, or anything, is great. There are a lot of video's of people just using repeat, making kick snare patterns or the same one bar. They do the machine no justice musically. I've heard a couple of cool MD-UW only tracks/demo's but I didn't save the links. :( I haven't come across an awful lot of musically technical MD-UW usage(don't mean IDM glitch/rinse/repeat/click/pop).

Sampling and remixing on the fly is great. I haven't sampled real drums or the 909 into it yet though(I take forever to do things if not in the right mood). Sounds cool through my MS-20 but then again what doesn't. :love4:

I don't use the Monomachine as much as the MD-UW but I should. I took to the MD-UW real fast it just grew on me. The MnM not so fast really although it is a nice instrument too.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:30 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:and I make electronic indie-pop music which is a far cry from anything any online demo shows it doing.

(1:36)

The vid isn't so much of a demo, but I'm sure it's all over Dumb Luck or Mistake Mistake Mistake Mistake.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:01 am

guesswho wrote:
tyrannosaurus mark wrote:and I make electronic indie-pop music which is a far cry from anything any online demo shows it doing.

(1:36)

The vid isn't so much of a demo, but I'm sure it's all over Dumb Luck or Mistake Mistake Mistake Mistake.
Wait wut? Does he record and master his own tracks? Using Motu 828 MKII's?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:21 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Wait wut? Does he record and master his own tracks? Using Motu 828 MKII's?
I don't think he'd master in that studio but why wouldn't he record and mix there? 828mkIIs aren't that bad.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks for the link! I hadn't quite clicked that it's a machinedrum all through the postal service stuff. nice!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:
Do you find analog lovers are drawn to this machine? I use a Moog LP, and love the sound of anaolg synths, but something about the Elektron draws me to it. SO you use both a monomachine and a machinedrum together to make music? How does that work for you?
I'd say analog lovers are usually disappointed with the MD...since it is very clean and digital. I love the Elektron way of working a lot...so it works out for me... though I'm not really happy with what I make after everything is said and done (do to my lack of recording, mixing, and mastering skills), at least the machines are fun to use and offer a lot of possibilities.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:34 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Did you use the MD UW though? Because surely you can sample in the kick you want. I'll most likely be sampling in kicks, as I don't like that sort of 909 or 808 techo kick, but rather a sort of EQed real sounding kick

Serious lack of MD pictures :(
The MD has many different kick styles...and isn't that great at analog style kicks anyway...well, at least not without a lot of work and layering. The Pi kick may be your style.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:38 pm

these guys have my setup very slimmed down for the time being... :D

also there are a few tracks using 'em on here.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Dammit, stop making it look so sexy, my credit card and I are not speaking.

anybody care to comment on how the MD is as a synth, not focusing solely on percussion timbres?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Phenom wrote:Dammit, stop making it look so sexy, my credit card and I are not speaking.

anybody care to comment on how the MD is as a synth, not focusing solely on percussion timbres?
The UW is great, since you have +-2 octave control on the pitch of any sample you load through parameter locking the pitch of each note. You can get good pitched from some of the built-in machines, particularly the FM Hat. It's very easy to use the UW as a self-contained unit, once you've got some samples in there.
virb.com/ookpikk