Some keyboards have MIDI out, some don't.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Blackie1

Some keyboards have MIDI out, some don't.

Post by Blackie1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:54 am

I'm looking for a keyboard controller, and while looking, I keep seeing some with MIDI out (which I need for connection to a synth) and some that don't, but only have USB. Why is this? They are classed as the same thing.

An example is the M-Audio Axiom series.

I may just not be seeing them in the pictures though.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Re: Some keyboards have MIDI out, some don't.

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:30 am

Some use USB, some use standard MIDI DIN connectors:

USB MIDI -> Computer USB port - great if you only need a master controller for soft synths and the like, i.e. Reaktor, Absynth, Pro-53 etc.

Standard MIDI -> USB MIDI Interface/hardware synths and sound modules - great if you will be controlling hardware synth modules, i.e. a KORG MS2000R.

Buy whichever will suit you the most. Or one that has both USB and DIN MIDI outs if possible.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am

Ok, makes sense.

Thanks.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:21 am

I use an M-Audio Axiom as my main controller keyboard. It's routed via MIDI into a MOTU MIDI Express 128, which is connected to the computer via USB. I've had bad experiences with M-Audio's USB interfacing in the past (the old 2x2), and it's easy enough to select the ports in Cubase when I'm setting up the tracks. It's not the most efficient way of working maybe, but it's what I do.

I expect they've sorted out the USB issues by now though.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Ok, so the Axiom has MIDI out? I was considering those, but they're just too expensive for me. I think I just need something cheaper. Not sure if 25 keys would be too limited, but 49 is my first choice.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:19 pm

As for number of keys, it depends what you're doing with it and where. Personally, I feel cramped on anything less than 61, though a little 3-oct job for mono work is fine. 49 keys just aren't enough for big wide chords. If you're just dropping individual notes into sequenced steps, maybe 2 octaves is enough, or if you're stuck for space.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Blackie1 wrote:Ok, so the Axiom has MIDI out?
Protip:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAXIOM49 (or any other piece of gear) - click "Rear" and then "full-size image".

Generally they have some pretty good pictures of several angles.
I think I just need something cheaper.
Define "cheaper" as an integer number of euros/dollars/pounds, people's standards and ideas differ wildly so a hard number is better.

My vote goes out to an E-mu Xboard, and you'll want 49 keys even if you can't play. 25 is terribly cramped.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:22 am

As Yoozer said, I would get an E-mu XBoard series keyboard, or the Novation ReMOTE series keyboards (the SL ones are more expensive though, just get a regular).

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:01 pm

I think somewhere in the 30s would be a perfect happy medium. I think I'll be playing mostly single note stuff, not beautiful classical piano work. I'm just not really sure what I'll need. I think I'll try a 25 at first, and if that is just terrible, I'll sell it and get a bigger one.

I'll check out the ones you guys recommended too.

Windreaper

Post by Windreaper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:44 am

nathanscribe wrote: 49 keys just aren't enough for big wide chords.
You play some mighty wide chords, Sir ;). 49 is a nice compromise, imo, only need more for splits and 2-handed piano (can just about play the intro to Genesis' Firth of Fifth on 61 keys), really.

Blackie1

Post by Blackie1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:49 am

Yeah, I'm thinking 25 will be good for now. If I need more, I'll keep the 25 for another synth or whatever I'll need it for, and get a cheaper 49.

I didn't see the normal Novation ReMOTE series, just the SL.