the EVOLVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Utah

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by otto » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:
:D Well I'm sure somebody will chime in with some nitpicks...but it won't be me.
Where's Jugel when you need him? :wink:

Not so long ago I sold my MEK and got a DEVO and now I am kinda regretting the move. I like the portability of the DEVO but programming can be tedious. Now I'm contemplating going back to the MEK or even going for the PEK...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

User avatar
killanator
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:03 am
Real name: Carl
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo
Location: California

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by killanator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 am

does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:00 am

deathbycubicle wrote:
:D Well I'm sure somebody will chime in with some nitpicks...but it won't be me.
The only bad thing I find is that the overall tone could be a little more scooped in the low mids, like between 500Hz and 1k. I think I might just get an EQ pedal for when we play live though, I EQ the h**l out of everything we record anyway. Well most of the time.

User avatar
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1197
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:21 pm
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by hfinn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:15 am

I personally didn't click with it. I had an MEK and a PEK. Can't explain why, just something about it. That being said I LOVE the P1/P5/P10

User avatar
guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 3:21 am
Location: Ontario - CANADA

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by guesswho » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 am

My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

User avatar
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1885
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:13 pm
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:22 am

killanator wrote:does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.
po8 is everything great about the analog side of the evolver, and more voices!

and a bit cleaner sound.

i f**k love mine, but sometimes I wish I would have bought a PEK instead...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

User avatar
shapeling
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:38 am
Gear: too much gear:) my favs: MOOG Mini, Source, DAVE SMITH Evolver, NORD Lead, KORG Z1, ER1, Stage Echo, ROLAND TR-808, SVC-350, V-Synth FENDER Rhodes 73
Band: Sorrow Has A Perfect End
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by shapeling » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 am

i cannot say enough good things about this machine. it was love at first listen:)
AKAIs950,NORDlead,modular,CRUMARt1/c,DAVESMITHevolver, FENDERrhodes73,KORGms10,z1,er1,ea1,micro,kp2,MOOGmini,source,ROLANDvsynth,jx10p,jx8p,jx3p,juno106,alphajuno1,tr-808,tr72(circuitbent),svc-350,jp8080,rs09,YAMAHAcs60,a3000

User avatar
Computer Controlled
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 am
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by Computer Controlled » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 am

Juno-106 a dream synth? Odd. The Evo blows it away. Sell the Juno, buy the Evolver.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

User avatar
DocT
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by DocT » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 am

killanator wrote:does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.
Here is a P'08 demo from the Noise-Professor:

http://share.ovi.com/media/noiseprofess ... ssor.10049

And, just for fun, some drums:

http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/mophodrums.mp3

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:10 am

It's almost like everything I want from a mono hybrid synth, which sounds great and cc controlable (with the latest os). I'm digging the processor side of it which is also very nice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

deathbycubicle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3
Location: philadelphia
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

guesswho wrote:My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:

User avatar
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 2889
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The right side of the Pennines
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:24 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
Oh I agree. Get both if you can. I have a MEK and an LP, and the LP is definitely the creamier of the two. But, as I've said before, the MEK excels at layered, modulated sounds, and can be cajoled into pseudo-polyphony with the onboard sequencer. Which one you get first depends what sounds you want first... the LP for smooth, rich, chocolatey goodness; the MEK for crispy, shiny things.

User avatar
Untouchable_888
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:55 am
Real name: Nightshade
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns
Location: Rutland, VT
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by Untouchable_888 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:17 pm

drxcm wrote:Evolvers are great, PEK's are even better.

There is something magical about the sound of the PEK, more than the sum of its parts if you know what I mean. I love mine, it will never be sold. For some reason I'm not a fan of the Prophet 08 though.

By the way DSI support is AWESOME. My PEK recently had some faulty encoders, I emailed them, and they sent some replacements free of charge - now its like new again! Also when I originally rang to place my order for it, Dave Smith answered the phone, and took all my details down.
Prophet 08 is overpriced, imho..
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

User avatar
Untouchable_888
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:55 am
Real name: Nightshade
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns
Location: Rutland, VT
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by Untouchable_888 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:21 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:
guesswho wrote:My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
MEk
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

deathbycubicle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3
Location: philadelphia
Contact:

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Untouchable_888 wrote:
deathbycubicle wrote:
guesswho wrote:My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
MEk
How can you recommend something when you own neither of the items in question? I'm hoping that you have at least played these items at the store...

Post Reply