the EVOLVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by otto » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:
:D Well I'm sure somebody will chime in with some nitpicks...but it won't be me.
Where's Jugel when you need him? :wink:

Not so long ago I sold my MEK and got a DEVO and now I am kinda regretting the move. I like the portability of the DEVO but programming can be tedious. Now I'm contemplating going back to the MEK or even going for the PEK...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:20 am

does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:00 am

deathbycubicle wrote:
:D Well I'm sure somebody will chime in with some nitpicks...but it won't be me.
The only bad thing I find is that the overall tone could be a little more scooped in the low mids, like between 500Hz and 1k. I think I might just get an EQ pedal for when we play live though, I EQ the h**l out of everything we record anyway. Well most of the time.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:15 am

I personally didn't click with it. I had an MEK and a PEK. Can't explain why, just something about it. That being said I LOVE the P1/P5/P10

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 am

My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:22 am

killanator wrote:does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.
po8 is everything great about the analog side of the evolver, and more voices!

and a bit cleaner sound.

i f**k love mine, but sometimes I wish I would have bought a PEK instead...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

shapeling
Gear: too much gear:) my favs: MOOG Mini, Source, DAVE SMITH Evolver, NORD Lead, KORG Z1, ER1, Stage Echo, ROLAND TR-808, SVC-350, V-Synth FENDER Rhodes 73
Band: Sorrow Has A Perfect End

Post by shapeling » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 am

i cannot say enough good things about this machine. it was love at first listen:)
AKAIs950,NORDlead,modular,CRUMARt1/c,DAVESMITHevolver, FENDERrhodes73,KORGms10,z1,er1,ea1,micro,kp2,MOOGmini,source,ROLANDvsynth,jx10p,jx8p,jx3p,juno106,alphajuno1,tr-808,tr72(circuitbent),svc-350,jp8080,rs09,YAMAHAcs60,a3000

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 am

Juno-106 a dream synth? Odd. The Evo blows it away. Sell the Juno, buy the Evolver.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 am

killanator wrote:does anyone have expirence with the P08? it seems really nice.
Here is a P'08 demo from the Noise-Professor:

http://share.ovi.com/media/noiseprofess ... ssor.10049

And, just for fun, some drums:

http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/mophodrums.mp3

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:10 am

It's almost like everything I want from a mono hybrid synth, which sounds great and cc controlable (with the latest os). I'm digging the processor side of it which is also very nice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

deathbycubicle
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

guesswho wrote:My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:24 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
Oh I agree. Get both if you can. I have a MEK and an LP, and the LP is definitely the creamier of the two. But, as I've said before, the MEK excels at layered, modulated sounds, and can be cajoled into pseudo-polyphony with the onboard sequencer. Which one you get first depends what sounds you want first... the LP for smooth, rich, chocolatey goodness; the MEK for crispy, shiny things.

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:17 pm

drxcm wrote:Evolvers are great, PEK's are even better.

There is something magical about the sound of the PEK, more than the sum of its parts if you know what I mean. I love mine, it will never be sold. For some reason I'm not a fan of the Prophet 08 though.

By the way DSI support is AWESOME. My PEK recently had some faulty encoders, I emailed them, and they sent some replacements free of charge - now its like new again! Also when I originally rang to place my order for it, Dave Smith answered the phone, and took all my details down.
Prophet 08 is overpriced, imho..
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:21 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:
guesswho wrote:My next move was to get a MEK but now I'm torn between it or a little phatty. f**k - why can't I afford both??? :cry:
Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
MEk
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

deathbycubicle
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Untouchable_888 wrote:
deathbycubicle wrote:

MEk
How can you recommend something when you own neither of the items in question? I'm hoping that you have at least played these items at the store...