the EVOLVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: the EVOLVER

Post by guesswho » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:46 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
deathbycubicle wrote:My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
Oh I agree. Get both if you can. I have a MEK and an LP, and the LP is definitely the creamier of the two. But, as I've said before, the MEK excels at layered, modulated sounds, and can be cajoled into pseudo-polyphony with the onboard sequencer. Which one you get first depends what sounds you want first... the LP for smooth, rich, chocolatey goodness; the MEK for crispy, shiny things.

I'm a sucker for sequencers, and that is a big selling point for me, but I can sequence the LP if needed with the MAQ. I'm thinking that maybe I should go with the desktop Evolver, which will free up some money for a LP, but I'm starting to have an abundance of desktop modules and feel keys would balance out my so called studio. I think I may go buy a lottery ticket tonight.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:35 am

The Moog LP vs Evolver has been done to death on this forum. Totally different animals. If your after a huge amount of flexibility and something that goes beyond basic analog synthesis get the evolver. If you want classic thick, rich analog simplicity get the LP. They are so different that they are both great to have. The secondhand price for the DEVO is a no brainer.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

Post by Untouchable_888 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 pm

deathbycubicle wrote:
Untouchable_888 wrote:
deathbycubicle wrote: Since I own the PEK and Voyager, maybe I can comment here. It all depends what you want. The Voyager (and I'm assuming the LP) excels at bass. To me, there is no better bass sound. Obviously, your milage may vary.

The evolver simply destroys for pads and leads, it can sound huge, and the sequencer can expand things even further. However, I simply cannot evoke that DEEP bass from my PEK like I can from the Moog.

Haha, You know what, forget it...I'm not sure I could ever pick between those two. My advice - keep saving :mrgreen:
MEk
How can you recommend something when you own neither of the items in question? I'm hoping that you have at least played these items at the store...
Sadly, no. But I have heard countless demos, and I just do not like the Little Phatty. The MEK just sounds somuch more complete, mysterious, and wholesome. And more dreamlike. The Little phatty has some decent bass sounds, but they are just average to me. The SH-2 is the best synth for bass. Hands-down. The little phatty just does not cut it for me. Not my style. But tha tis just mho...
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:58 pm

a boutique effects outfit could easily get away with selling the d-evo at its current price w/out the oscillators and sequencers as a filter with modulation, three-tap (sync-able) delay, distortion, and bit crushing. that it ALSO has two analog and two digital osc's--and sounds great!--makes it, hands down, the biggest value in synths...possibly of all time.

it is the go-to solution for 90% of my audio puzzles...when i think, how could i get the sound of X, and get it to sync rhythmically, and not be boring, and keep evolving--it's almost always the answer. get it.

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:32 pm

nathanscribe wrote:the LP for smooth, rich, chocolatey goodness; the MEK for crispy, shiny things.
Ah, I sort of agree, but to me the MEK excells at nasty and screaming rather than shiny things...
:twisted:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 pm

You're right. The LP can scream too with the onboard distortion. It grunts in a different way to the MEK though.

Electroboy

Post by Electroboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:19 am

Ive had my MEK for a bit over a year now and am still on the fence about it. Dont get me wrong, I love the little beastie, but I feel I need to downsize once again. Having a Moog Voyager and a Prophet 8, as well a wealth of softies, can I justify having 2 monosynths?! The Prophet 8 has that warm poly sound I dig plus all the routing options, the Moog can sizzle. All I do is argue with myself if I should keep the Evolver. Would someone please debate me on keeping or getting rid of it? Or h**l, $800, shipping included, and I no longer stay awake at night. Studio kept, smoke free, and never been gigged with.
Moog Voyager, Nord Wave, Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:38 am

You can never ever get too many monosynths!! :D

But if you should keep your MEK or not depends on if it does anything for you that the others can't. And in this case it surely does, but then the question then is if you need those features or not.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:12 am

Electroboy wrote:Ive had my MEK for a bit over a year now and am still on the fence about it. Dont get me wrong, I love the little beastie, but I feel I need to downsize once again. Having a Moog Voyager and a Prophet 8, as well a wealth of softies, can I justify having 2 monosynths?! The Prophet 8 has that warm poly sound I dig plus all the routing options, the Moog can sizzle. All I do is argue with myself if I should keep the Evolver. Would someone please debate me on keeping or getting rid of it? Or h**l, $800, shipping included, and I no longer stay awake at night. Studio kept, smoke free, and never been gigged with.
Put it in the cupboard for a month. If you don't find yourself pulling it out and playing with it in that time then sell it.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 am

Does the PEK have the same filters as the desktop Evo? The filters on it aren't that that good, although it still doesn't bother me too much as it's quite a swiss army knife.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 am

stikygum wrote:Does the PEK have the same filters as the desktop Evo?
Yes, all Evolvers have the same architecture. 1 x PEK = 4 x DEVO, except for the control surface and the PEK doesn't have a seperate audio in for each voice.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm

oo

Hi. Anyone out there have a pic they could post showing the MEK's size in relation to a microKorg, groovebox, or other small synth?

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 pm

ronP wrote:oo

Hi. Anyone out there have a pic they could post showing the MEK's size in relation to a microKorg, groovebox, or other small synth?

oo
I think there's one on the internet. Try Google.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ronP wrote:oo

oo
I think there's one on the internet. Try Google.
oo

No adequate dice, as I did do that before I posted, thus the line of questioning in my post! So, to repeat . . .

Hi. Anyone out there have a custom pic they could post showing the MEK's size in relation to a microKorg, groovebox, or other small synth?

JSRockit once volunteered a good SIDE-BY-SIDE comparison of the microKorg and the XioSynth, for example.

p.s. This is general request for the consumption of all VSE users who are interested in instrument scale as well as sound.

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:51 pm

You could just find out the dimensions of each and grab some measuring tape. Works fine for me. :thumbup: