DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GeneralBigbag

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:29 am

You think this is bad, you read any of the threads over on Gearslutz when the Arsenal series or the UAD-2 hit?
virb.com/ookpikk

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:54 am

otto wrote: Technically speaking, from what we know at the moment, the MoPHo doesn’t either. It has “sub-octave generators” which I imagine is more of an effect than actual oscillators. All we can do at this point is speculate (which is fun in and of its self). You have four oscillators on the DEVO and can set them an octave or 2 below the other oscillators, in effect you do have actual sub-oscillators (a real oscillator set an octave below the other). It’s just the sub oscillator may or may not be the same type of oscillator primary. You could have a digital oscillator as the sub to an analog or vice versa or you could have a patch with an analog with an analog sub and a digital with a digital sub and so on. Any way you look at it 4 oscillators are probably going to be more flexible than 2 oscillators and 2 “sub-octave generators”.

You are right that this will be a more simplistic analog synth which is reason for many to buy it on that basis alone. The evolver is extremely flexible but can be a pain to wrap your head around. However, how good this synth will be at bass has yet to be proven. Hopefully the sub-octave generators will make all the difference. Right now I’ve not heard good things about the bass capabilities of the P’08.
Ah, good point...I guess I am hoping this is what I want, but it is looking more and more like it is not. However, they are billing it as a bass and lead machine right?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:57 am

yeah the p08 is not quite bassey unless you turn on unison, then its a f**k fat bastard...

the sub octave generators are clearly there to make this synth more bassey
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:42 am

otto wrote:Technically speaking, from what we know at the moment, the MoPHo doesn’t either. It has “sub-octave generators” which I imagine is more of an effect than actual oscillators.
It is the case with almost all sub-oscillators - Juno, Polysix etc - they're just T flip-flops dividing square wave frequency by two or four (sub-octave or two).
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:13 am

griffin avid wrote:Think First and Best. It's great to be first on something- everyone feeds off that site for the early look. It's also great to be best. You arrive later with a deeper look at whatever the subject is. Print is the deeper look (reviews and features). Internet is usually the firsts.

Is there anything worse than looking into an older/current piece of gear and landing on the Sonic State "hey this is coming soon" page or a repost of the companies first press release? That's when you want to find that Sound On Sound article and get the final word on what something is.

Not bashing the trend, but it's 5 pages of speculation. There's no clue on what it sounds like (the actual reason you buy a synth), but opinions on the Font and color they used. Is it really necessary to have this thread arrive 3 weeks early? Future Music magazine knows what all the buttons do. Sound On Sound knows what all the buttons do.
Sonic State would love to tell you, but it would be hard to explain how that's an accidental goof too.

So...you get all these people crawling over the sites and it furthers their reputation of being the first place in new news. I don't mind them being first- nature of the beast when your concern is print, but it's annoying to read this knowing the truth and having to take the high road and wait.
I think information leaks like this are completely intentional. It just adds fuel to the fire when its up long enough to get the forums and blogs spinning and then goes down. If I remeber correctly there was a good deal of hype surrounding the P'08 before anyone even knew what was coming...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:20 am

adamstan wrote:
otto wrote:Technically speaking, from what we know at the moment, the MoPHo doesn’t either. It has “sub-octave generators” which I imagine is more of an effect than actual oscillators.
It is the case with almost all sub-oscillators - Juno, Polysix etc - they're just T flip-flops dividing square wave frequency by two or four (sub-octave or two).
Right. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. I am very curious how much the generators will add to the sound.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 am

JSRockit wrote: Ah, good point...I guess I am hoping this is what I want, but it is looking more and more like it is not. However, they are billing it as a bass and lead machine right?
You would think that would be the point of a basic analog mono. I guess we will just have to wait and hear the results.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:49 am

I think information leaks like this are completely intentional. It just adds fuel...

To what end? A company only has three possible feelings behind a piece of gear or a new release.

1. It's going to be great. It gets standard hype- you be VERY OPEN with the media and let everyone know how great it is. Using it is proof positive. The reviews will all be great, it'll win a bunch of awards etc.

2. It's a dog. You release it like a bad movies first weekend. No media coverage and only one way press releases.
It drops news-wise at the same time you release it. It's an impulse buy and you can beat the flood of negative reactions. Half the people who buy it early will defend it and you'll have two sides deadlocked. It's tough to bash something and sound like an authority when you haven't used it much. See Korg OASYS

3. They're unsure. That's when you leak details early and it's possible that feedback helps development and features.
We are way beyond that point. It's coming. Review copies are shipping.

When the next line of info drops this thread will be even more of a waste of time except for the interesting tangents. Everyone speaks from their perspective. Makes sense.

BUT for all the hype surrounding the Japanese magazine synth- damnit if, if this isn't what you wanted.
All I'm saying is this thread would be much better if it occured three weeks from now with real information to talk about.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:50 am

otto wrote:
I think information leaks like this are completely intentional.
Exactly, i doubt this was an accident. I'm sure it was done to view what kind of hype will surround the product. And what better way to see what kind of reaction the design will get. As i stated over at Gearslutz, i think he should a design contest to see who can do the best design. That would be fun =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:56 am

guesswho wrote:I like the prototype better:
Where did this pic come from!! :shock:

Seems like somebody on the inside is working the blogs.

Anyway, the physical appearance reminds me of the pre bankrupt Waldorf aesthetic. Like the Sahara Q with the rings circling into the LCD. But I don't think it's ugly.

With this being announced (assuming it isn't a hoax) I wonder if the holdup with the Linndrum II is coming from Rogers side!
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 am

griffin avid wrote:All I'm saying is this thread would be much better if it occured three weeks from now with real information to talk about.
Come back in 3 weeks and you won't be so mad. We like to talk about things. Our hopes. Our dreams. Pictures of synthesizers. Scarves. French horns. No sense in getting all :x over a thread from the future...today.

At first I thought you were new to the forum but then I saw you joined in 2005. :shock:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:36 am

If this thread occurred three weeks from now it wouldn't really make sense from a marketing perspective. I assumed this was all to build speculation and rumour around the release. Or an elaborate hoax.

I think it's a bit naive to think this info leak is a mistake, although that may well be the case.

I just hope this hasn't affected the linndrum 2
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 am

Or an elaborate hoax. ..I think it's a bit naive to think this info leak is a mistake, although that may well be the case.

Funny how it's naive for others, but you don't know whether it's a leak, genius marketing idea, the early truth or a hoax. If you wnated to generate a FEEDBACK BUZZ, you'd hint at this while it is still in it's development phase. That might be a good guess behind the LinnDrum II. A buzz so early, you can rework it and add functionailty and tweak out the specs. You saw one graphic that was a hint and something far different later. They had a physical mock-up at their trade show area that was non-functional so at least the outershell seems definite.

Consumers have short attention spans. No one is going to day dream about this for three weeks. It will be forgotten and we'll all move on to the next shiny object. When they provide specs, manuals and sound clips- that's when you can make your gut decision on whether or not this is a serious purchase. Some can already do that from early specs. Some need to see what everybody else thinks or does first. Some must play with it live before they can make a decision. There would have to be unheard of negative press before I would choose to not even demo it.

It's a new analog synth from DSI at that price point. What 'fake buzz' do they need to generate?
Why not just release the that news officially? How does having Sonic State put that up and then take it down help?
All it does is add to the number of people who STILL don't know if it's real or not.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:42 am

blah blah blah...

I think robotheroes said something worthwhile a while back... :violent2:
Do you even post on vse bro?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:26 am

My thoughts............ Just release the Analog Linn Drum
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."