DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mirt

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by mirt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:16 am

I tink it's good idea, it could look better, but for me it looks better than mek, better colour and even better ugly font :). If you think there is no need for next smal synth because there allready is mek, maybe there was no need to do micromoog, prodigy or rouge becouse there was mini.
If it'll be so cheap i'll buy it to have little analog for gigs in place of one of my vintage mono.
I prefere to have few simple synths in place of one with BIG posibilities. Ok it is not the "first and only synth" type. For me it is like blofeld or yamaha cs01 cute little synth, you can buy it just for fun, you don't need to think - it is much money, do i realy need it? This type of synths is for me something like psp or nintendo ds for synths maniacks. It is not only toy but it is great joy.

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:01 pm

I think it looks cool personally - the colour reminds me of Waldorf. I won't buy it because I've no need for it, but there's definitely a market for small, real analogue monos, especially with sequencers and simple modulation routings and interfaces.

With regards to generating hype - seems unlikely to me: DSI have what, about five employees?! If they're just starting development, that means they're going to have one guy - a fifth of their workforce - trawling the internet all day looking through threads like these, searching for ideas that people have that they may want to implement. Frankly - no way. This product is likely near release and everyone will be working overtime to ensure that units are ready to go - they're not going to be sacrificing employees searching through threads like this.

I find it funny how DSI release all these great new products (incidentally, I'm not a fan of the Evolver sound) and then people come out the woodwork and complain, 'Oh, it hasn't got xyz?! That makes it a load of c**p! What the h**l are they doing?' Oh dear - it's not your perfect synth. Maybe you should just keep buying more and more and more until you have your perfect synth spread over 150 different instruments? Oh, but that wouldn't be less than $500 would it?
kuroichi wrote:I just hope this hasn't affected the linndrum 2
Yeah, no news on that for a while, which seems a shame. Let's hope that some company like Roland doesn't release something that steals half its market.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:22 pm

So wait, this isn't a regular sequencer like what is on the evolver? This is one that you have to play by pressing a key on a midi keyboard? Someone stated that is what gated means... I'm confused.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

DocT

Post by DocT » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Basically a key is a kind of button. You can see a button on the MoPho pics. I assume that it isn't the ultimate challenge for a programmer to let this button work as a substitute for an external note on message. If he's very clever he'll also implement a hold mode for this button as a substitute for a sustain pedal ;)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:27 pm

JSRockit wrote:So wait, this isn't a regular sequencer like what is on the evolver? This is one that you have to play by pressing a key on a midi keyboard? Someone stated that is what gated means... I'm confused.
The sequencer on the Evolver does both. It's a step sequencer (or rather four step sequencers) and it can run free or trigged / gated / transposed from keys, and in a number of other ways and combinations. I imagine this will be pretty much the same.

Also the mod routings on the P'08 are not that basic as some are implying, in fact it allows you to do some stuff that the Evolvers don't.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:08 pm

masstronaut wrote: The sequencer on the Evolver does both. It's a step sequencer (or rather four step sequencers) and it can run free or trigged / gated / transposed from keys, and in a number of other ways and combinations. I imagine this will be pretty much the same.
I understand that...but the evolver's specs say "step" sequencer and this one says "gated"... however, the play button (push it) is either a preview button so you can hear patches without a keyboard or a start to the sequencer. I do not want to use a keyboard with this synth is all I am saying...I want it to be able to use the built in sequencer without a keyboard.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:26 pm

Yeah, here's what the Evolver manual says about its sequencer: When you hit the START button, the sequence will start playing. The column LEDs will light in sequence to show which step is playing; remember that each sequence is two rows, so the LEDs repeat.

Versus what the Prophet '08 manual says about its gated sequencer: The sequencer is a “gated” sequencer. That is, a note must be played, either from the keyboard or via MIDI, in order for the sequence to be heard and it will continue to play as long as the note is held (gated) .

Does the Prophet '08 not have a "hold" option, or do you really have to keep a key pressed the whole time if you want your sequence to keep playing, and does it work any differently on the desktop version? If not, it seems likely that they'd add this feature to the MoPho to make it more self-contained. Let's hope anyway. Doesn't seem like it'd be a very difficult or costly feature to implement.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:35 pm

Right. I didn't realise the P'08 sequencer was that different to the Evolver's, I thought it would have the same trigger modes.

Check DocT's post above. I think he's hinting at something re the 'Push It' button.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:37 pm

JSRockit wrote:but the evolver's specs say "step" sequencer and this one says "gated"... however, the play button (push it) is either a preview button so you can hear patches without a keyboard or a start to the sequencer. I do not want to use a keyboard with this synth is all I am saying...I want it to be able to use the built in sequencer without a keyboard.
The Prophet 08 sequencer is described as a gated sequencer and it's possibly just a similar use of term, by the same company. And may work in the same way: play a note via midi (or on the keyboard) and off the sequencer goes...

On the Prophet there is no "start" button.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 pm

And yet on the 'prototype' MoPho the 'Push It' button is labeled 'Play'.

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:45 pm

pricklyrobot wrote: Does the Prophet '08 not have a "hold" option, or do you really have to keep a key pressed the whole time if you want your sequence to keep playing, and does it work any differently on the desktop version? If not, it seems likely that they'd add this feature to the MoPho to make it more self-contained. Let's hope anyway. Doesn't seem like it'd be a very difficult or costly feature to implement.
The Prophet has 5 trigger modes according to the manual (I haven't really explored it yet). And these affect the way it runs and when it resets (restarts) or not - depending on which is selected.

EDit: but having just had quick go, yes it does seem as though you have to hold a key pressed down on the keyboard. But as I said, haven't really explored this much, so no doubt someone else will be able to shed more light...
Last edited by jaypodesta on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hair

Post by Hair » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Alex Hamilton wrote:With regards to generating hype - seems unlikely to me: DSI have what, about five employees
3 at the moment, actually

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/news/job.php

That aside, who's going to start the inevitable buyer's guide devo vs mopho thread? Once details are more solid it might be me.. I've been eyeing the devo for a while, but now I'm split.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Hair wrote:That aside, who's going to start the inevitable buyer's guide devo vs mopho thread?
Ha!

(Please don't.)

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 pm

I think this is a great idea - I personally feel that the Devo is quite left-field sounding - and thus probably not that easy to sell to the masses where big bass and lead tones are popular. I remember a few years back trying a Voyager - and then asking the shop staff if there was anything like it which didnt cost £1400...they suggested the DEVO. With its strange presets and confusing matrix and complex 4 Osc architecture - its not great for a beginner...

Im all for cheap analogue for the masses - even if now days I have my eyes on other things. I have an Evolver and dont feel the analogue side of a single voice is that phat. Thus the Sub Osc. I have a Roland SH2 in the post - yeah for me 8)

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:01 pm

Intelligent comparisons that inform the good folks of VSE are great, as long as they don't turn into "should I get synth X or synth Y?"... when X is a 303 and Y a DX 7.

(It's all in the Guidelines)