DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
DocT
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:50 pm
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by DocT » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:10 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:Intelligent comparisons that inform the good folks of VSE are great, as long as they don't turn into "should I get synth X or synth Y?"... when X is a 303 and Y a DX 7.

(It's all in the Guidelines)
So comparisons between blue and a yellow synthesizers are legal ? Though these complementary colors get along like cat's and dogs or 303s and DX 7s ? ;)

ColorForm2113
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 am
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...
Location: CHICAGO-ish

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:31 am

DocT wrote:
clubbedtodeath wrote:Intelligent comparisons that inform the good folks of VSE are great, as long as they don't turn into "should I get synth X or synth Y?"... when X is a 303 and Y a DX 7.

(It's all in the Guidelines)
So comparisons between blue and a yellow synthesizers are legal ? Though these complementary colors get along like cat's and dogs or 303s and DX 7s ? ;)
actually blue and yellow are just primary colors. blue and orange or yellow and violet would be complementary colors :wink:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:45 am

JSRockit wrote:seems perfect for my needs, which is only some bass once in awhile.
P8 or DSI stuff in general would be my last choice for really punchy big bass. so im making a guess Mocho won't be much different in this respect either. i find this peticular late version of Curtis filter rather weak. aside from few exceptions, having dcos does not help the lo end issue either. for "some bass once in awhile", in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
otto wrote:from what we know at the moment, the MoPHo doesn’t either. It has “sub-octave generators” which I imagine is more of an effect than actual oscillators
on an analog, having a sub osc ("synced" to source osc via flip-flop) can sometimes induce more power than having a whole another oscillator that is free. case in point: Roland SH series. SH-2 has two VCOs, and using both for bass sounds ok, yet always phasey unless u overkill w detune. however, without the 2nd osc, when instead u engage the sub, it becomes the punchy bass monster that it is so well known for. that being said, P8 circuit is DCO, so indeed its would be easy to have 2nd osc act as mathematically precise 8va down "sub-osc".

bottom line, i think sub-osc is great n cost effective way of reinforcing the single osc. i think Dave's choice is good, reminiscent of many mono designs of yesteryear, like the SH series, or Oberheim OB-1 etc.. it would cost much more to actually introduce 2 more DCOs, instead.
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

User avatar
redchapterjubilee
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: Arden, NC
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:47 am

clusterchord wrote:in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
Here's the sad thing. You can't really buy an analog monosynth for $400 anymore. Occasionally you find a deal but for the most part, aside from the occasional Bass Station, TB rackmount clone and CS01, you're spending more than this. The MoPho should fit into a big gap in the market, ever-widening as older analogs become more expensive. At this price point it will sell like crazy.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

GeneralBigbag
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Grad school

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 am

I wonder how long it will be before an ugly yellow keyboard the same size and shape as the MEK appears on the market for $900-$1000...
In all seriousness, Dave Smith, and DSI are perhaps too awesome for words.
virb.com/ookpikk

User avatar
memo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by memo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:
DocT wrote:So comparisons between blue and a yellow synthesizers are legal ? Though these complementary colors get along like cat's and dogs or 303s and DX 7s ? ;)
actually blue and yellow are just primary colors. blue and orange or yellow and violet would be complementary colors :wink:
Oh, snap!

The one thing I wish companies like DSI would do is allow you to sequence CC events. That way you could use their 4 sequencers with other equipment and integrate patterns and modulation between them.
Image

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:16 am

I can see the logic in that, but that would push up production costs on what are pretty reasonably-priced synthesisers with plenty of features.

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
clusterchord wrote:in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
Here's the sad thing. You can't really buy an analog monosynth for $400 anymore. Occasionally you find a deal but for the most part, aside from the occasional Bass Station, TB rackmount clone and CS01, you're spending more than this. The MoPho should fit into a big gap in the market, ever-widening as older analogs become more expensive. At this price point it will sell like crazy.
well, i meant ballpark. last one on Bay sold for $517. friend of mine bought one recently for 350eur.

and, sure Mocho will "fill the gap" with analogics. wasn't discusing its overall market impact, just questioning its value as a "bass synth". in that context, SH-09 would still a bargain even if it costed twice as much. why? because it does bass 10 times better than any DCO machine. to put it bluntly. i could say the same thing for kawai 100f, SH-2, micromoog etc..


will Mocho indeed sell like crazy remains to be seen. personally, i think it will do ok. its got the "analog" buzzword, its new, its shiny and got a under $400 street price .. and 8 knobs is enough for decent realtime mayhem.


hope they got linn drum in the works too.. in some other crazy colour too.. i like Mocho looks. shoot me. i'm tired of "serious" and pompous looking synths and keyboards.
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

User avatar
memo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by memo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:34 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:I can see the logic in that, but that would push up production costs on what are pretty reasonably-priced synthesisers with plenty of features.
It already responds to CC, has the MIDI hardware, and sequencing code; adding CC sequencing would be like 12 lines of code.

That wouldn't really push up the price. They just didn't think of it.
Image

User avatar
tyrannosaurus mark
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 am

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:24 pm

I wish DSI spent more time making their synths look nice. The DEVO was so so ugly, and now this. THey could take a leaf out of Elektron's book
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

User avatar
guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 3:21 am
Location: Ontario - CANADA

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by guesswho » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:28 pm

memo wrote: It already responds to CC, has the MIDI hardware, and sequencing code; adding CC sequencing would be like 12 lines of code.

That wouldn't really push up the price. They just didn't think of it.
Maybe that is one of the reasons they are looking to hire someone.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:36 pm

clusterchord wrote: for "some bass once in awhile", in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
I'd like patch storage, built in sequencer, and midi all in a small box... I've been searching forever...and it seems the search is still on. No big deal, I have good stuff to use. You are right about that filter though...but it is still better than VA filters.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
23
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:19 am
Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by 23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm

JSRockit wrote:
clusterchord wrote: for "some bass once in awhile", in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
I'd like patch storage, built in sequencer, and midi all in a small box... I've been searching forever...and it seems the search is still on. No big deal, I have good stuff to use. You are right about that filter though...but it is still better than VA filters.
MFB Synth II?

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by JSRockit » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm

23 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
clusterchord wrote: for "some bass once in awhile", in this price range, id definetely grab a sh-09.
I'd like patch storage, built in sequencer, and midi all in a small box... I've been searching forever...and it seems the search is still on. No big deal, I have good stuff to use. You are right about that filter though...but it is still better than VA filters.
MFB Synth II?
Yeah, that's about it...but MFB stuff is very weird to work with and doesn't stay in tune very well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:27 pm

My take on brightly colored but not hideous:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Post Reply