DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
redchapterjubilee

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 pm

I hope to pick one up in the next month. I've got almost all the $$ together for it. Between Keyboard Wizard and Stefan's demos I think I'll be happy with it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

toad

Post by toad » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:52 am

That Audio Damage guy has a short review up on his blog:
http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/en ... 2818464718
Last edited by toad on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 am

Love his Ricochet plug in!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:51 pm

toad wrote:That Audio Damage guy has a short review up on his blog:
http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/en ... 2818464718
He comments on the filter sounding better and shreds the evolver. I don't get it. I mean its the same analog osc and filter chips as the evolver (you can turn off and ignore the digital oscs). In the demos I've heard the mopho sounds very evolver-esque. Now I'm curious if there is much if any difference between the filter sounds. Anyone that has used a P'08 and an evolver care to comment on any difference with regards to the filter? My guess is that he is talking out of his a$$ but if there is a difference, I'd like to know.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:44 am

the mopho and p08 have no digital components, so there is no degradation of the signal through A/D/A conversion

that is really the only thing I could think of that would make the analog sections sound different
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:48 am

I tried to order one today and was told I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks because I'm in Canada. WTF? I want one now.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:37 am

guesswho wrote:I tried to order one today and was told I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks because I'm in Canada. WTF? I want one now.

Huh? Where did you try from? Give Nova Musik a try.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

urbanscallywag

Post by urbanscallywag » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:49 am

Joey wrote:the mopho and p08 have no digital components, so there is no degradation of the signal through A/D/A conversion

that is really the only thing I could think of that would make the analog sections sound different
Since were splitting hairs here anyway, the Mopho and Prophet08 most certainly have digital components, just not in the signal chain (DCOs aside).

There could be different gain into the filter and VCA that would make the analog sound different.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:59 am

urbanscallywag wrote:
Joey wrote:the mopho and p08 have no digital components, so there is no degradation of the signal through A/D/A conversion

Since were splitting hairs here anyway, the Mopho and Prophet08 most certainly have digital components, just not in the signal chain (DCOs aside).

There could be different gain into the filter and VCA that would make the analog sound different.
yeah I meant to say in the signal chain
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 am

Having played both Evolver and P08, I seriously, seriously doubt that the difference in sound has anything to do with the AD/DA. The best way to hear the difference is to put the filter FM up on the P08 and crank the resonance in 4 pole mode.
Didn't Dave make some comments about tweaking the chip to behave in a slightly different way on the P08?
virb.com/ookpikk

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:31 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Having played both Evolver and P08, I seriously, seriously doubt that the difference in sound has anything to do with the AD/DA. The best way to hear the difference is to put the filter FM up on the P08 and crank the resonance in 4 pole mode.
Didn't Dave make some comments about tweaking the chip to behave in a slightly different way on the P08?
So do you feel there is a significant difference? I've got to say all the mopho samples I've heard so far sound like an evolver to my ears.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Some MoPho loops generated during betatesting:

http://www.trippler.net/files/p1/loops/

Not exactly representative for the unit because nearly all patches have some kind of Filter-FM, Feedback or audio rate modulations, but maybe someone is interested to listen to them.
They're from a beta stage where the sync with external midi clock didn't always work quite right, occasional timing glitches won't happen anymore with the serial models.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Does anyone know if the sequencer transmits midi? I downloaded the manual but couldn't find anything about this.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:43 am

jonkull wrote:Does anyone know if the sequencer transmits midi? I downloaded the manual but couldn't find anything about this.
The Evolver sequencer does, I don't see why they'd take that functionality out. Have a look in the manual to see if midi note is a destination in the sequencer mod routing, if so then it does.
GeneralBigbag wrote:Having played both Evolver and P08, I seriously, seriously doubt that the difference in sound has anything to do with the AD/DA. The best way to hear the difference is to put the filter FM up on the P08 and crank the resonance in 4 pole mode.
I think the big difference is when you clip the A/D section in the Evolver, you can definitely hear that. Not that that's something that happens in every patch, but when you start going crazy with the Evolver's feedback and delay it starts to be a noticeable characteristic.

pix

Post by pix » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 am

DocT wrote:Some MoPho loops generated during betatesting:

http://www.trippler.net/files/p1/loops/

Not exactly representative for the unit because nearly all patches have some kind of Filter-FM, Feedback or audio rate modulations, but maybe someone is interested to listen to them.
They're from a beta stage where the sync with external midi clock didn't always work quite right, occasional timing glitches won't happen anymore with the serial models.

introverted is awesome Stefan!

it is sounding so wide though. what kind of stereo tricks does the mopho have? Can you pan the osc left and right? but it was mostly filter FM right?

good stuff!