DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by megamanx » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm

JSRockit wrote:Why do you love it and what are you comparing it to?
lets see, I think it sounds really dirty...it has balls...I have a korg r3, a nord lead 2 as my virtual analog and the mopho in my opinion sounds better (obviously they have different uses)...I do have 2 vintage analog roland sh 101 and the yamaha cs 5...granted those sound great but I can't save patches...I am very new to synths and the mopho is simple to use...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:32 pm

I had to sell my Little Phatty a couple of months ago ... but I really don't miss it so much, thanks to the Mopho.

Wow, that's some high praise right there.

I like it mostly because it doesn't sound like anything else, synth-wise.
I never paid any attention to the DSI line before although I did like the new P.
The Evolver(s) slipped into the same space as the Korg Radias....I like it, but I'm not inspired by it.

The MOPHO inspires me.
Some pieces of gear are just like that.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 pm

griffin avid wrote: I had to sell my Little Phatty a couple of months ago ... but I really don't miss it so much, thanks to the Mopho.

Wow, that's some high praise right there.
Well, I had a bad LP too. The 2nd oscillator would not stay in tune, no matter how many times it had been callibrated and I became seriously frustrated with it. I miss the programming immediacy of the LP, and the filter growls when swept in a way that the Mopho really can't get exactly right. But certainly in the lead categories I had no trouble there. Both the LP and Mopho triangle leads are pale in comparison to the Source I had. The Source had a low-end presence that neither the LP or Mopho can replicate, though surprisingly the Technosaurus Microcon I had was just as strong. I really shoulda kept that little box.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 pm

The 2nd oscillator would not stay in tune...

Did you ever considering contacting Moog and have them take a look under the hood?
Or did you think "that's just the way they are"...

I have a hard time selling gear. I always feel like someday I'll be working on something and it'll be the only source of that perfect fitting sound and I'll regret selling the piece.

h**l, sometimes getting gear is what brings on the financial crisis.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:12 pm

griffin avid wrote:Did you ever considering contacting Moog and have them take a look under the hood?
Or did you think "that's just the way they are"...
Oh no, I don't have any beef with Moog whatsoever! Amos offered to take it back to tweak it personally, but it would've cost me shipping it back and forth and having it be out of my hands for several months. I'd love to have another one someday, one that isn't so finicky.

My financial crisis wasn't gear-related. I sold off almost the whole studio four years ago after a major financial crisis (both my wife and I losing jobs at the forefront of the recession). I saw another one coming and rather than wait I began to liquidate stuff I couldn't rationalize holding onto and the LP was prime #1 on that list. The Mopho helped ease that decision though. Fortunately we dodged that bullet and installed my wife in a much better job so things are back to normal. The cool thing about spending money on gear as opposed to shoes, manicures and clothing is that when the s**t hits the fan I can sell my gear and help keep us afloat.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am

Wow, this thing sounds surprisingly good.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:07 am

yeah js I just got one too and it's surprisingly good, so cheap and makes decent drum sounds too.
for sale/trade: EML-101

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:10 am

Wait, didn't I just see you are selling it nadafarms? I think you took over as the person who buys and sells the most around here.

Really, it is cheap enough that everyone, who likes synths with built in sequencers and multiple LFOs that can be routed almost anywhere, should have one.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:57 pm

JSRockit wrote: Really, it is cheap enough that everyone, who likes synths with built in sequencers...
from what i've read of your posts, and your thoughts on sequencers, i generally tend to agree with you. considering that, and all the past synths/boxes you've used with in-built sequencers, how does this one stack up in your opinion? as in, how quickly can you put a sequence together? the front panel looks incredibly unintuitive in this regard, but i've never so much as seen one in real life, so i can't really tell.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:01 pm

I guess it depends killedaway. I find it a lot easier to navigate than the evolver... I generally can do everything I want to do with one knob and one button...but it is a menu diving situation. However/// I clicked with it, but I'm sure others will not. The other synths I've had with built in sequencers either didn't have patch storage or were VAs... the sequencer was never an issue.

Torstein

Post by Torstein » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Not to sound like a broken record around here, but I just received mine today too, and man, what an impressive little box. I was on the search for a small analog bass monster and I need look no further. Pulled it out of the box, plugged it in (yes, with the super long corded "Evolver" power supply), plugged in my headphones and scanned the first 100 presets.

My head has a slight ache now from all the deep-rumbling bass. It's probably still resonating from those sub-oscillators. :)

I'm *really* looking forward to putting together bass sequences on this. I also plan on sampling some of the excellent analog-y kick and tom sounds coming out of this. Really an amazing piece of kit for ~$300 used.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:09 am

I ordered one yesterday at about 1.30pm and it was delivered here at work at 9.15 from scotland to the midlands (UK)
WOW! dhl deserve a medal for this one.

I am desperate to try it out but have no 1/4" adapter thingy with me!

I have had a mess with it and it seems easy enough to navigate (I have a pulse so Its bound to be easier than that)

I am really looking forward to hearing some gritty bass.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:18 am

Man I love this thing. After having a Voyager, little phatty, and an XS (among others), it is funny that this is the machine that satisfies me.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 am

Little FAT Bastard! i'm pretty sure we'll get along just fine.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 pm

My biggest complaints about it though:
1. I really wish those knobs were more like what's on the MEK. Endless encoders. I don't like the clicks in the knob.
2. I wish the filter would track the keyboard better. All the Moogs I've owned do that flawlessly. The Mopho? Not so much.