DSI MoPho

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Re: DSI MoPho

Post by Box » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:38 am

So, I'm thinking maybe to try and get one of these for Bday/Xmas. How are the envelopes speed wise? I know they're software but I'm sure with today's microprocessor speeds that it'd be just as fast (if not faster) than an analogue envelope? Also from the specs this thing looks like a Basszilla, 2 oscillators with their own sub. And it's yellow, nice change from the black and gray. :wink:
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:33 am

The envelopes are some of the fastest and punchiest i've ever encountered!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:45 am

Computer Controlled wrote:The envelopes are some of the fastest and punchiest i've ever encountered!
That's good to hear. From the videos and audio samples they seemed to be lightning fast. But Musician's Friend had a scratch n' dent for $300, but it was bought before I had the chance to show my parents... :cry:
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:03 pm

-I posted this question in the buyers section "mono synth thread" but noticed this thread is more relevant.

I was wondering if anyone here could comment on how the Mopho and SH-101 compare to each other sonically. I was planning on adding an SH-101 to the studio but now I'm thinking about adding a Mopho instead. I'm after that Simon Posford "Hallucinogen" raw aggressive arpeggiator lead sound from his early stuff. I know he did most of this with an SH-101 run through some FX. The Mopho just makes more sense price wise and feature wise but I want to make sure it has that "uniqueness factor" sound wise that made the SH-101 so popular. Thanks in advance!!! : )

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Gamma Goblin wrote:-I posted this question in the buyers section "mono synth thread" but noticed this thread is more relevant.

I was wondering if anyone here could comment on how the Mopho and SH-101 compare to each other sonically. I was planning on adding an SH-101 to the studio but now I'm thinking about adding a Mopho instead. I'm after that Simon Posford "Hallucinogen" raw aggressive arpeggiator lead sound from his early stuff. I know he did most of this with an SH-101 run through some FX. The Mopho just makes more sense price wise and feature wise but I want to make sure it has that "uniqueness factor" sound wise that made the SH-101 so popular. Thanks in advance!!! : )
I would say that if you have a very specific synth sound in mind, you probably wont be happy unless you get that synth. If your open to loose interpretations than sure the mopho has a lot more modulation capabilities, it's new, has a sequencer, patch memory etc...
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks Blue Dot but I'm hoping to get a reply from someone that actually has hands on experience with the Mopho and SH-101. I'm not looking for an exact copy type sound, just the sonic character or that raw liquidy take the paint off the walls sound that you can get from the 101 with a few FX thrown in. Just like when someone compares a Nord Lead "synth lead" sound to a ROMpler "synth lead" sound (the Nord just has that special raw unique sound that you can't get from most other modern VA synths or ROMplers"). I'm just looking for a first hand sonic comparison between these two analog synths. Thanks! : )

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:24 am

Anyone can tell from audio demos available online that they obviously sound different. Get a synth to do what it does best, not what it imitates.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:32 am

yeah your talking about a modern dual DCO synth compared to a vintage VCO synth, APPLES vs ORANGES.

Just save some money and get a sh-101. You can always get a mopho later and with the bad economy you might be able to score a $500 sh-101.
for sale/trade: EML-101

small blue dot
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by small blue dot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:42 am

nadafarms wrote:yeah your talking about a modern dual DCO synth compared to a vintage VCO synth, APPLES vs ORANGES.

Just save some money and get a sh-101. You can always get a mopho later and with the bad economy you might be able to score a $500 sh-101.
On that note - someone is selling an SH-101 on the analog heaven mailing list for $450. Apparently it is a bit ugly and has gone from grey to green but it supposedly functions fine...
a master of karate and friendship for everyone

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:43 am

Thanks for the replies. I've got a Mopho coming next week so I'll see if it has any uniqueness or wow factor to it. I guess I'm sick of all of this modern synth sameness or lameness. I'm hoping that a Dave Smith synth will add something new sound wise to my collection of modern Korg, Roland and Yamaha synth's.

Another question I have was about DCO's in general. I understand the positives like patch recall and stability but what are some negatives that you can think of about DCO's compared to older synth VCO's? Does it kill that analog vibe that older synth's have? Curious??? Thanks again! : )

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:31 am

just so you know, the whole VCO vs DCO subject has been kicked around like a red headed step child on this forum for a long time, so everyone is tired of hearing about and you might do research on that, try searcingh the forums.

vco synths can still have patch storage...

I don't own a single dco synth anymore because I find they lack the PHATNESS and sometimes don't sound as HUGE and other times not as RAW and definitely never ever MEGAPHAT. Since all my patches need a MEGAPHAT level of 11, I must have vcos.

The truth is they just don't inspire me AT ALL. Whether its a DSI DCO, Roland DCO, Oberheim DCO they all don't work for me, they just don't have the raw beauty of VCOs which behave more like an acoustic instrument, and I'm used to tuning acoustic instruments. I played stand up bass for years so when people b***h about tuning it makes me LOL.

If I were you I would sell everything including your digital gear and buy a Future Retro XS, which would do those 101 style sounds much better than a mopho and even better 101 emulations than a 101. I do actually like what I've heard from the mopho demos so far, but what I like is the snappy envelopes, sequencer and filter... DCOs will never again make it into my studio EVER! Unless maybe a Gleeman or Crumar DS-2???

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:37 am

Oh, but yeah you will definitely say WOW once you play the mopho next to your digital modern synths and for the price it's a no brainer (and probably what DSI should have began with...)

You will however say WOW Holy S**t! when you get a wicked VCO synth in your studio!

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am

Gamma Goblin wrote:-I posted this question in the buyers section "mono synth thread" but noticed this thread is more relevant.

I own both machines. The Mopho can get ballsy like the 101 can. You're not gonna get the same hands on factor with the DSI as you do with the 101 though. The 101 is a great instant gratification machine. The DSI takes a bit of work.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Gamma Goblin

Post by Gamma Goblin » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Computer Controlled, thanks for the reply. "Ballsy" was the word I was looking for. As far as hands on goes I just added a Korg NanoKontrol to my studio and I'm going to map the h**l out of the Mopho when I get it. The NanoKontrol has 4 scenes to map on with 9 faders, 9 knobs, 18 buttons and 6 transport buttons per scene so I should be able to do some damage with that.

Nadafarms, thanks for the Future Retro XS recommendation. That thing looks pretty bad a*s to me and the price is pretty fair IMHO. I love the fact that they put the audio and midi plugs on the front face. I wish my Radias had that because it has to go on the top of my rack because of the plug locations. Also, do you have to direct order it from Future Retro because I didn't see it for sale anywhere else on the net (sweetwater, zzounds etc.)?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm

small blue dot wrote:
nadafarms wrote:yeah your talking about a modern dual DCO synth compared to a vintage VCO synth, APPLES vs ORANGES.

On that note - someone is selling an SH-101 on the analog heaven mailing list for $450. Apparently it is a bit ugly and has gone from grey to green but it supposedly functions fine...
Do any of you believe that the SH-101 is overpriced? I can't see paying $800 dollars for a synth that's only got one VCO and no memory. But, that's only my opinion. If I wanted to get the MoPho, I'd consider that a much better value for a much better price.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon