Floyd founder Wright dies at 65

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Floyd founder Wright dies at 65

Post by iProg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 am

A cornerstone of one of the most important bands in music history. He gave us many hammond twists, beautiful piano parts and lots of the significant psychedelic sounds.
:(
I will listen to Wish you were here and A Momentary Lapse of Reason, just to remember him at his best.

Rest in peace, and good luck at the great gig in the sky :)

Alex Hamilton

Post by Alex Hamilton » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 pm

I hadn't heard about this until I saw this thread (I've just moved back to uni so internet access has been limited and haven't watched TV, etc.). This is very sad, I didn't know he had cancer. He was a heavy smoker though. One of the finest 'rock' key players, his touch was really very good. He will be missed.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Gothboy wrote:Rick Wright released a solo album in the '70s called "Wet Dream". I never owned it but a friend of mine had it. It must be pretty rare at this point. Anyone have this album?
I do and it's excellent! I've never seen it on CD, but if it comes out I'll get it and the irony is, now that he's passed, it won't be long.

I also have Zee which isn't as interesting.

Saw the Animals tour in Montreal in the 70s. Thankyou Pink Floyd and Mr. Wright. RIP
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Gothboy
Gear: NordLead 2, Mopho x4, Modal Argon8m, Roland System 1, Nord Micro, Novation Nova, Roland D-05, Korg Radias Yamaha A-3000 sampler
Band: Dymaxion Vehicle

Post by Gothboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:14 pm

The other thing I was wondering: so was it just the EMS VCS3 Putney that he used on "Dark side of the Moon" as on "Any Colour you like"? It also had tons of delay on it. I think the album sleeve listed only the VCS3 as a synth. I just love that track and the sound he got on it and it worked so well with Gilmours' Leslie soaked guitar. =D>
Also, what synths were used on "Wish you were here"? Anyone know?

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:55 pm

Among other synths I think I hear Moog Taurus bass pedals on "Welcome to The Machine"

Might be some ARP 2600 and some Roland RS strings on it..

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:07 pm

oo

Here is a great eulogy to Richard Wright penned by Adam Fieled, a respected published poet and recording artist -- and a neighbor of mine -- here in Philly:

http://www.adamfieled.blogspot.com/

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote: Saw the Animals tour in Montreal in the 70s. Thankyou Pink Floyd and Mr. Wright. RIP
Lucky b... !!!
"Animals" has always been my favourite Pink Floyd album (and I think that's pretty rare, most will say "The Piper...', "DSOTM", or WYWH), and even "Dogs" my favourite song (ex aequao with "Echoes" and "Shine On you Crazy Diamond")...
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:34 am

Found his Wet Dream album on-line.

Wet Dream

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:08 am

THM wrote: "Animals" has always been my favourite Pink Floyd album (and I think that's pretty rare, most will say "The Piper...', "DSOTM", or WYWH), and even "Dogs" my favourite song (ex aequao with "Echoes" and "Shine On you Crazy Diamond")...
Actually, I have always had the same opinion, that "Animals" was their best album and "Dogs" being my favorite song. I was very thrilled during one of my visits to England to see the Battersea Power Plant (depicted on the front of the "Animals" album) as I was taking the train from Croyden to London.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:19 am

I love Animals too (probably my second favorite behind Live at Pompeii and Meddle, with Sheep being my favorite. The Rhodes at the beginning of that is just gorgeous.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:58 am

Animals was the first Floyd album I owned(given to me by my sister.) I really can't decide which I like more Animals or DSOTM. Its easy to just say DSOTM, but Animals really sticks out with the concept of the lyrics and the way the music sits with them. I've even had hip hop heads(the ignorant kind) hang out with me and listen to Animals while we chill :wink: and they always commented on how the album boosted their experience and thought it was a dope cd.

To me Folyds older stuff is just cool music to listen to while you're reallyenjoying yourself. But Animals, DSOTM, and The Wall really get to me in an emotional way when the time calls for it.

RIP Wright!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:35 am

hfinn wrote:Found his Wet Dream album on-line.

Wet Dream
Heath, you da man.

I'd heard bits of this ages ago...nice to get the (nearly-full mp3) picture. Reminds me a bit of early Alan Parsons Project.
'WAVES' is a beautiful track.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Wet Dream

Hey thanks Heath - have been looking after that for a decade yet... Image
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Couldn't get it to open - it says it is not a movie file?

Oh well, back to wax for me.
THM wrote:

Wet Dream

Hey thanks Heath - have been looking after that for a decade yet... Image
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Henfield wrote:
THM wrote: "Animals" has always been my favourite Pink Floyd album (and I think that's pretty rare, most will say "The Piper...', "DSOTM", or WYWH), and even "Dogs" my favourite song (ex aequao with "Echoes" and "Shine On you Crazy Diamond")...
Actually, I have always had the same opinion, that "Animals" was their best album and "Dogs" being my favorite song. I was very thrilled during one of my visits to England to see the Battersea Power Plant (depicted on the front of the "Animals" album) as I was taking the train from Croyden to London.
You are not alone, but I prefer the Waters' visceral attack on all things nasty in "Pigs (Three Different Ones)". Also one of Wright's better moments; the Hammond arpeggio is a stroke of genius.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...