Casio CZ-series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CZ Rider

Re: Casio CZ-series

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Villi wrote:It doesn't look that cool in the flesh. At least not mine :(
The top of the line CZ-1 was the cool looking one.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Where's pricklyrobot? His demo on YouTube is one of my favourites:

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Oh, CZ-1 is the biggest one? Who'd have thunk :P
Let's make a smaller one call it CZ-5000 just to confuse the little people! Hahaha *sips tea*

Almost as confusing as the Amiga naming scheme back in the 80/90's. First there was Amiga 1000 (desktop computer). Then A500 (the all-in-one-keyboard), A600 (slight improvement, no numeric keypad, new OS 1.3), A2000 (big desktop box instead of all-in-one-keyboard, new OS 2.0), Amiga 1200 (new graphics chipset, AGA, OS 3.0, keyboard version again)., lastly A4000 (!), another desktop box with more expansion space but same chipset and OS as 1200.
That's pretty much chronologically listed. Makes no sense whatsoever.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 am

mine doesnt really look that cool in person, maybe cuz i dont have wood sides!

i have a slight problem, maybe this deserves to be in help. When i turn it on, it is out of tune about a whole step(from my yamaha psr, which i know is in tune). i then must tune it up if i want to use it, which is very tedious, takes about 3 minutes. then, next time i turn it on, it is out of tune again, although not as much as it was at first. it goes flat while it is off. its not too big of a problem though...

Summa

Post by Summa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:19 am

Bitexion wrote:Oh, CZ-1 is the biggest one? Who'd have thunk :P
Let's make a smaller one call it CZ-5000 just to confuse the little people! Hahaha *sips tea*
CZ-1 came after the CZ5000, was the latest synth of the CZ-Series. The One and only synths of the series that is providing a proper multi mode, velocity and channel pressure... :wink:

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 am

CZ Rider wrote:The top of the line CZ-1 was the cool looking one.
never thought that it would look as good with wood.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

marland
Gear: microKORGs, miniKORG 700s, K Station, Bass Station II, Nova, Ultranova, SH-201, JV-1010, CS-5, DX7IID, TX802, HS-2/E, VZ-1, FZ-1

Post by marland » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:04 am

Is there any keyboard that wouldn't look good with wooden side panels?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 am

marland wrote:Is there any keyboard that wouldn't look good with wooden side panels?
I won't let any wood touch my Korg Trinity, it just looks good that way :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Summa

Post by Summa » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm

Wooden panels always give me that grandmas living room folksy oak impression, I prefere instruments with a cold futuristic/scifi type look...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:16 pm

If you think the Moog is good at bass, try layering it with a CZ patch- the best of analogue and digital. Awesome!

The CZ-1 is definitely the best sounding of the lot. The facility to layer polyphonically and save performance parameters with a patch is great, as is the velocity and aftertouch. It sounds/ feels a lot better to me via a good weighted master keyboard.

The CZ-5000 sequencer is fab! I really miss that thing. You can have 8 loops of different lengths if you like- that's fun if you use percussive sounds. The step programming is cool- a button for almost all rhythm values.

Get the manual, it explains all the features really well. It's a good manual actually.

mute

Post by mute » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:22 am

I've got the CZ-1 (bought it locally for $250) and I absolutely love the thing.

What's confusing about the CZ-1 is the claim that it uses DCO's.. but the way they are described are not what we know about DCO's.. that is Digitally Controlled analogue Oscillators like the Roland JX's, Crumars, etc. From my understanding they are totally digital. I'm not even sure the information on that is correct. What I love about the CZ-1 is that at one moment you can have it sounding like a analogue beast, and the next moment you can have it ripping out FM style sounding bells and PD pads (with the huge evolving envelopes). Or you can roll all those at once with Tonemix or split, or the very cool Multitimbrality method it uses. I personally use it alot as a drum source, with 6 or so voices setup on different channels for the individual hits. Very unique and characteristic synth at a great price. Takes some getting used to programming wise, but nothing like FM.. it's much more intuitive. Besides, Ive always seen the comparison of PD to FM as being mostly off topic and misleading.. old 80's journalist and marketing BS thats hung over a bit just because of the DX7 dominated days where everyone was comparing. Similar to the problem that of people forever referring to DCO's as having digital oscillators because of poorly written reviews in the 80s that didnt have their facts straight (until of recent years when people live Dave Smith have spelled it out to people in interviews so they have a better understanding).

Anyways, I love my CZ-1. I use it all the time :)

mute

Post by mute » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 am

forgot, i have some pictures online:

large: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2250/150 ... ebc6_b.jpg

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 pm

My cz5000 is great sounding,

it is also just totally f**k though

it does this thing where certain voices distort all crazy and feedback

so i can still play the synth, it just is nowhere near usable on recording

and nobody can repair it apparently
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Joey wrote:My cz5000 is great sounding,

it is also just totally f**k though

it does this thing where certain voices distort all crazy and feedback

so i can still play the synth, it just is nowhere near usable on recording

I have the same with my CZ-101.... it makes ridiculously crazy sounds that just get bigger and bigger, as you hold down the keys. Sometimes I'm afraid it will catch fire or something in one of these crazy buildups :shock:
Monkey business since 2007!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:36 am

Joey wrote:
Have you tried to initalize the CZ-5000? Same with the CZ-101.
When the CZ has the battery go flat, it will exibit strange behavior.
To initalize first back up your sound if you want to save them.
On the CZ-5000 with power off, hold down the initalize button, then power on. It will prompt you to "initalize y/n", enter yes and it should read "System Initalized" .
On the CZ-101, there is a "P" button on the bottom you press in while powered on, with a pen or similar pointed object. The CZ will momentarly power off then on and will be initalized.
For some reason the CZ's do not reboot on thier own, it must be done manually. Many strange things go out of range when the CZ looses all power. Like the pitch bend range beyond the 1 oct. limit, and transpose setting of G, makes it seem like it is broken.
After an initalization all factory patches are written to user memory, so if you can't backup your sounds, you will loose them.

Worth a try anyhow.