Casio CZ-series

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Casio CZ-series

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:33 pm

The "noise mod" level can be controlled by the sustain level of line 2. Counter intuitive, but that's how it works.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 pm

madtheory wrote:The "noise mod" level can be controlled by the sustain level of line 2. Counter intuitive, but that's how it works.
Counter intuitive indeed. Do they mention this anywhere in the manual (if they do, I obviously missed it), or did you stumble across it on your own?

Oh, and it's the sustain level of the DCA, I assume?

I just put it together that you're the guy behind this handy page: http://www.madtheory.com/CZ%20article/CZ%20article.htm Nice work! :thumbleft:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:26 pm

madtheory wrote:The "noise mod" level can be controlled by the sustain level of line 2. Counter intuitive, but that's how it works.
very odd, but helpful! thanks
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:57 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Oh, and it's the sustain level of the DCA, I assume?
Yes, the DCA2 envelope.
pricklyrobot wrote:I just put it together that you're the guy behind this handy page: The Casio CZ series Nice work! :thumbleft:
Thanks!

Summa

Post by Summa » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:08 pm

It's the same with the ringmod mixing level and I find it pretty usefull having an Envlope to control those parameters.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Good point about the envelope. What other synth gives you an envelope just for noise, apart from a modular? Yet another useful quirk of the CZ series. If you've a CZ-1, you can make a noise only patch with any envelope mod you like, and layer it with a detuned patch, which effectively removes the limitation of noise using up a whole oscillator.