New Future Retro product coming.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

New Future Retro product coming.

Post by bakeded » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Mon May 11, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Re: New Future Retro product coming.

Post by 23 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:11 am

It'd be interesting if it was an FR drum machine, I know going as far back as 98-99 that idea had been on the table (then obviously taken off).
A Mobious MKII would also be interesting.
For some reason I'd be surprised if it was an out and out synth.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 am

I got wind of a new future retro product a while ago also, but they wouldn't tell me what it was.

I hope its a cv sequencer!
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

Cool, my money would be on a sequencer. Interesting that they're talking about bringing a new product to market when there's still a 2 week wait on the XS.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Pft. I heard the fonts are ghey and that it isnt multi timbral. Pft.

Pft.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:24 pm

23 wrote:It'd be interesting if it was an FR drum machine, I know going as far back as 98-99 that idea had been on the table (then obviously taken off).
That would be ill.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 pm

The FR HoBanga???
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05 pm

LOL @ meatball & tallow

A Sequencer would be great. But I have to get an XS, too...it's currently #4 on the Neverending GAS List.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Ive just got an XS, Im still holding out for an MC-4 though.....
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:38 pm

I'd settle for a 777 re-issue, at the original price (or less).

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 pm

I just hope it's not shaped like a circle. I love a lot of the Revolutions features but that layout does nothing for me. The XS is super nice but I felt the FR-777 is still a better machine having all the aggression and sequencer in one box.
My bet is it's a Moebius MKII with simultaneous sequencing, so It could sequence drums or polyphonic via multiple CV outs. It seemed odd that he canceled making the Moebius and there really isn't a competitive sequencer on the market right now that was like that one.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII

Post by 23 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:17 pm

idiotboy wrote:I'd settle for a 777 re-issue, at the original price (or less).
I really don't see that happening for two reasons:
1. The thing was darn cheap for what it was to begin with
2. Factor in the typical annual rate of inflation on the dollar (3%) and to sell the 777 at an equal to it's original price would in around $1010 USD.
3. Now factor in that the company has grown in scope and more notably, that the rate of inflation on the dollar has (in reality) been running at a rate higher than 3% in recent years.
4. If I recall correctly, Jered actually has sold off a couple 777s that he had left lying around, granted the auctions ran on ebay, but the starting prices were not at their original $777 (again, I'm unsure of if this occurred, but I'm pretty sure it did)

add all that together, and I highly doubt seeing a 777 release that runs at or below the units original price.

But in all honesty, I kinda doubt seeing a 777 re-release period, as stands, the XS is in MANY regards a comprable synth. Don't get me wrong, there are numerous differences between the two, but ultimately I'd say they have a TON more in common than not in common. Main differences being easily cited:
1. 18db or 42 db selectable low pass filter was replaced by a multi-mode 12 pole filter.
2. Second high-pass filter was removed
3. Phase distortion was removed
4. One Sub Osc per Osc was replaced by one single osc capable of acting as a more flexible sub, doing ring mod, or taking in an external signal.
5. CV Warp was removed (understandable as there is no longer a sequencer attached, which was key in driving the warp mode on the 777)

Once out of these 5 areas, the differences become more minor.

I sort of look at the XS as a "What if the 777 was more in depth as a synth and lost the sequencer?"

I do know that in conceiving the XS (the final vision of it), Jared looked to taking note of what from what he knew, were the more popular features of both the 777 and the Revolution and fusing them into one thing. There was more to it than that obviously, but I do know he commented to me once that the popular features of those two units played a significant part in the XS design.

swords

Post by swords » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 pm

im pretty sure the 777 comment was just a joke...

BUT SERIOUSLY a FR analog drum machine could be killer. Something nice and stable with a price-tag similar to the REV would fill that hole in the market between soon-to-be-busted roland DMs and the jomox league.

And i know many people wont ever like the sequencing circle, but i love it... Not that it matters, he'll never use the circle again (thanks to all the haters :wink: )

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:36 am

great comparison to the 777, 23. thanks!
having a 777's pretty much the reason i'm not interested in an XS.
if this next FR release is an XS v2 w/ a built in sequencer...that i'd be interested in.

FR's youtube demos of the XS are great, too.
funny how right off the bat it's being used w/ a revo as a sequencer.

edit: i've become very interested in an XS... even if it doesn't have its own sequencer. though i'd still be happy if that is the next release :D
Last edited by space6oy on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:05 am

space6oy wrote: funny how right off the bat it's being used w/ a revo as a sequencer.
yeah, I actually had talked to jared a few different times during the course of development for the XS.
It's original intent was simply something that would be capable of increasing the arch of the current Future-Retro gear.
Added to the Mobius, one now ended up with a decent lil mono synth. Combined with a 777 or Revolution, a lot of the features people had clamored for wishing those units had available architecture wise would now be available.

Post the initial show of the prototype at NAMM, and notably during it's next showing at I think it was MESSE, a ton of folks were just throwing all sorts of ideas at Jared. "Man it'd be really cool if it had blah blah blah blah", so this lil rather simplistic thing just started growing and growing and growing. I don't recall totally, but initially (post the NAMM debut) I seem to recall jared saying he thought an October release of the product would be possible. So that's Winter of like '06 looking towards an October of '07 release. I must have got mine around Feb. of 08.....
hmmm, not to far off schedule I suppose (granted, I'm not sure when, if, or at what point Jared would have told me something like October. he did give me a time frame at one point, but I also know that eventually that time frame was sort of put into an "I don't know" as there were so many darn things being added).

You go from original concept, to what the thing ended up being....and well, I have to confess, though the price took a nice lil jump (practically doubled), the end result was simply so beyond the original idea.
So anyhow, when you see it paired with a Revolution, keep in mind thats a left over of the things original concept....so it's really not that surprising.

It was really cool talking to Jared from shortly post NAMM to up to the things eventual drop though...I must have had maybe something like 3 to 5 convos with him during the course of it all, and every time I swear there was like this bit of excitement you could hear in his voice when he talked about it.