New Future Retro product coming.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Re: New Future Retro product coming.

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:13 pm

killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Mobius = Rack = Wack = ;)

Wait, why is it scaled back vs. the mobius?
i think he meant size-wise.
No, i mean feature wise. Yeah, it has the remix function, but it's missing all the analogue ins and outs. CV/Gate in-out, MIDI in/out/thru. That's it.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 pm

nadafarms wrote: Plus din sync?
forgot about that one. huh.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:
killedaway wrote:
JSRockit wrote:Mobius = Rack = Wack = ;)

Wait, why is it scaled back vs. the mobius?
i think he meant size-wise.
No, i mean feature wise. Yeah, it has the remix function, but it's missing all the analogue ins and outs. CV/Gate in-out, MIDI in/out/thru. That's it.
oh, i get you. this obviously is squarely aimed at XS owners, as has been discussed, but that just really makes me think the price is too high. the Mobius was more versatile for quite a bit less money. makes you wonder if the Orb would even exist if Jered had kept the Mobius in production. i have to wonder if he killed the Mobius in anticipation of the Orb. if so, ouch.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 pm

supermel74 wrote:
StepLogik wrote:Two of the Revo sequencer Cons:

Cannot use midi keyboard to input pitches
Gate time is not adjustable

I wonder if the Orb has the same limitations?
I sold my Revo because you couldn't program it from a midi keyboard. I knew that when I bought it but I figured I could get used to it but that didn't happen. You can play it from a midi keyboard, just not program it. If the Orb fixed that than that's a real good thing.
yeah its a huge annoyance. i've gotten pretty good at entering the pitches manually, but it would go a LOT faster if you could do it from a midi keyboard.

did the mobius have this capability?

in other news, how does the new Orb compete with something like the MFB step-64?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm

StepLogik wrote: yeah its a huge annoyance. i've gotten pretty good at entering the pitches manually, but it would go a LOT faster if you could do it from a midi keyboard.
it would've been great to just position yourself at any step, and just tap in 16 notes from your keyboard. i imagine i'd have quite a few more patterns in my Revo if that were the case.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Looks nifty. On the surface it's something that would go well with my XS, but I do want to read more, play with one and/or see some demos before I make a decision. The price isn't bad either.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Well, I for one would take this over the Mobius and the Revo. The Revo is huge and the Mobius is a rack... call me shallow, but those things matter to me as much as the specs.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:45 pm

shallow

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am

I knew this would be announced while I was out of town. Well, just got off the train and suprise suprise... #-o

Initially, I'm sort of disappointed although I could see myself putting this to good use. If it were $400, I could see myself plopping down for it right now. But that price point might be tough to hit nowadays. I see and echo a lot of what others have said about getting the Revo (which seems almost the same minus the synth) instead. Plus, won't you be able to modulate the FR XS with the Revo synth in interesting ways. Seems to me like the Revo might give you more options and be more useful.

One thing I really like about this Orb, is that it's really nice and small and can fit anywhere in the studio and easily movable all around the studio. That's a nice solid plus over the Revo. I could picture myself (instead of going over and using midi ports from Logic), I would hook this up straight to my synths, take this and plop it down next to each synth I had to see what kind of chemistry I can get going without a software sequencer first. A good inspiration tool. I like the Circular design.

Things I don't like is that it seems to cut down some Mobius' features and actually isn't a Mobius 2, but more like a Revo sequencer. I like the Remix function. Wish it was Multi timbral. I like mono for things, but multi is so much better for me. I would have to buy 2 of these things.

I'd like to get the Orb and jam with it. I'm unsure on how much my workflow would benfit. The XS was a definite and immediate buy for me, but this is one that I'm glad to see out (I like it's size) and will probably wait and see how I feel once I've had time to think about it's value to me.

Orb + ATC-Xi intrigues me :shock: =P~

One other thing, I think this might offer more access and coerce people to use other synths besides the TB and come up with new sonic possibilities. There's no distraction of wanting to use an onboard synth like the Revo. You have more control over sound, plus stimulating Remix features. This IS more attractive than the Mobius for me, but that's my workflow.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:51 am

killedaway wrote:shallow
Fo Sho!
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 am

I hope the next XS-orie is a dual VCO!!

And, given the price difference, I would go for the Revo too, but I could see how XS owners might feel otherwise.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 am

I'd quite like to get this and an XS, in fact having a few of these running alongside one another would be pretty awesome. Price shmice, if it's good and I like playing with it I'll forget how much I paid for it.

People who are looking for a cheap, fairly easy to use sequencer with midi I/O, DINsync and CV/gate out have you considered just building the sequencer from the x0xb0x? All the parts for it are freely available, you can get the case, boards and microcontroller direct from Adafruit. Seeing as the sequencer doesn't need any of the rare parts it's pretty cheap too, and you need a lot less of the hardware, it's just the buttons, LEDs, 1 rotary encoder, 2 switches and the power supply and board parts. I reckon it'd be around $200 or less.

Or you could build a midibox seq, that thing is nuts.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:26 am

The Midibox Seq is hardcore. In one of the demo vids the person hits a sync button and it sync'ed up automatically with ableton live. It looks good to use and it also does CV/Gate. Very appealing it is.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:04 am

wouldnt it be sweet is its a rebuilt SH-101 style synth?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 am

BlackGnosis wrote:wouldnt it be sweet is its a rebuilt SH-101 style synth?
Sweet wouldn't describe it!

:D
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8