New Future Retro product coming.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Future Retro product coming.

Post by nadafarms » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm

It looks cool for XS owners..

BUT I would have thought there would be more to it, like being able to sequence multiple cvs at once so you could send out cv/gate for pitch but also sequence the filter and all the other patch points. That would be cool as h**l.

I would have dropped up to $1500 with out batting an eyelash for our pretend land of make believe FR analog drum machine. :(
for sale/trade: EML-101

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:11 pm

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:24 pm

nadafarms wrote:I would have dropped up to $1500 with out batting an eyelash for our pretend land of make believe FR analog drum machine. :(
XS + orb in one, $1500, would've seen lots more buyers than they will for the orb alone. me being one of them. $1850 for the two, way too much for me.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Yeah, i agree. Trigger inputs ala SH-101 would have been awesome, and would probably have made it worth the price. But i just see it as a scaled back Mobius with a flashier sequencer for more money. And yes, it'll work with a 101 =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Mobius = Rack = Wack = ;)

Wait, why is it scaled back vs. the mobius?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:09 pm

space6oy wrote:
nadafarms wrote:I would have dropped up to $1500 with out batting an eyelash for our pretend land of make believe FR analog drum machine. :(
XS + orb in one, $1500, would've seen lots more buyers than they will for the orb alone. me being one of them. $1850 for the two, way too much for me.
I have to stand up for Jared on just a few ends here.
First off, back in 1998 the 777 was rolled at at $777. A pretty damn small price point for what it was (IMO), and understandably so, he was just a small startup company.

In any regard, fast forward to today and you have the XS come in at $1,300.

Factor in a basic inflation rate (which means don't have the inflation rate keep up to reality) and you have $1010. So theres your equal of cost to a $777, and at the end of the day, the XS is a significantly deeper synth the 7 was.
But the synth arch additions were pretty significant.
My point here is, one could argue that Jared kept his price point the same it has always been. Which is fairly low.

Next, granted the Red Square (which I'd put in the same class as the XS) is a BIT cheaper, the fact of the matter is it still comes in around the same price point.

All in all, this ubber cheap XS with sequencer slapped on as well I just don't see being possible.

Next, Jared really did have an XS addition in mind with this sequencer. So clocking in $1850 for an equal to arguably a 777 successor. I think it's a fair price point.
The synth arch is a good deal deeper and things became semi modular. For what the whole package is....
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not aware of much out there in that price bracket that offers something comparable.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:34 pm

JSRockit wrote:Mobius = Rack = Wack = ;)

Wait, why is it scaled back vs. the mobius?
i think he meant size-wise.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 pm

So basically the synth on the Revo is valued at $200? Spin it however you like but anything over $399 is too much for this thing. If someone had asked what do you think a Revolution without the synth should cost, I think most people would say about half as much as the full Revo. At $399 this thing would be great, at $550 you might as well just buy a Revo.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Two of the Revo sequencer Cons:

Cannot use midi keyboard to input pitches
Gate time is not adjustable

I wonder if the Orb has the same limitations?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 pm

supermel74 wrote:So basically the synth on the Revo is valued at $200? Spin it however you like but anything over $399 is too much for this thing. If someone had asked what do you think a Revolution without the synth should cost, I think most people would say about half as much as the full Revo. At $399 this thing would be great, at $550 you might as well just buy a Revo.
I see what you are saying...but what else is there in this price range that is offered new these days?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:58 pm

StepLogik wrote:Two of the Revo sequencer Cons:

I sold my Revo because you couldn't program it from a midi keyboard. I knew that when I bought it but I figured I could get used to it but that didn't happen. You can play it from a midi keyboard, just not program it. If the Orb fixed that than that's a real good thing.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 pm

JSRockit wrote:
supermel74 wrote:So basically the synth on the Revo is valued at $200? Spin it however you like but anything over $399 is too much for this thing. If someone had asked what do you think a Revolution without the synth should cost, I think most people would say about half as much as the full Revo. At $399 this thing would be great, at $550 you might as well just buy a Revo.
I see what you are saying...but what else is there in this price range that is offered new these days?
Nothing really. It just makes more sense to me to buy a Revo if you're getting an analog monosynth for an extra $200

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:09 pm

StepLogik wrote:Two of the Revo sequencer Cons:

looking over the manual, i see no mention of using an external keyboard to input pitches. i also don't see any mention of varying the gate time. i'm not very familiar with all this CV/Gate terminology, so maybe i missed it.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I would have bought this if it were a polyrhythmic sequencer, Jered needs to look beyond the simple 1-track 16-step
sequencer imo. A drum machine would have been nice, but Klaus at Acidlab has stepped in to fill that part with the Miami.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 pm

supermel74 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:
Nothing really. It just makes more sense to me to buy a Revo if you're getting an analog monosynth for an extra $200
Plus din sync?
for sale/trade: EML-101