New Future Retro product coming.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Future Retro product coming.

Post by bakeded » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 am

:-#
Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:09 am

Oh snap! This thread is morphing already into up coming XS ories speculation.

Although I'm not buying the Orb for now, I think it's stimulating to look at and with it's features will prove to be quite useful and inspiring to use. I think it's a good product, but just nothing to smack us all over the head like our 26 pages was dream wishing, getting out of control over. (guilty as charged)

What is the sound source for those Orb demos? I'm guessing it's the XS.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 am

Welp, the GAS is getting me. Future Retro XS and Orb are imminent. I can feel I won't be able to resist.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 am

JSRockit wrote:Welp, the GAS is getting me. Future Retro XS and Orb are imminent. I can feel I won't be able to resist.
wow, you're really surrounding yourself in gear again; i haven't seen that for a while.

breitt

Post by breitt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:36 am

JSRockit wrote:Welp, the GAS is getting me. Future Retro XS and Orb are imminent. I can feel I won't be able to resist.
Like watching my favorite heroin addict stumble back to his dealer...

Though, I am a bit jealous. If I didn't totally kill my budget by getting the Rozzbox, I'd be right there with you, JS.
Elektron Analog 4

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:49 am

Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 am

bakeded wrote:My Orb is at the local fedex facility waiting to be delivered tomorrow! I won't get to mate it with my XS until I get home from work in the evening. I am excited!
Anyone want to trade an XS for a 777 + cash? I want a second one.
I might be into just buying your 777 :D

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am

i'd love to have a 777. you know what'd be cool? a 777 kit.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 pm

killedaway wrote:
wow, you're really surrounding yourself in gear again; i haven't seen that for a while.

yeah JS sure is doing that, but he complains his production skills are lacking :lol:
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Syn303 wrote:
yeah JS sure is doing that, but he complains his production skills are lacking :lol:
Wow, you can be a d**k huh? :wink: Yes, what 303 says is true, but after switching from the MDUW and MnM combo... which I could never get to sound even ok... I've found that using a variety of gear (and using some analog machines) made it easier to get what I want and to get it to sound ok, even with my lack of production skills (I also decided to lay off compressing each track to f**k). The 888, MnM, and x0xb0x combo is really working out for me...and is getting me closer to what I want. I'm feeling that I just don't like digital gear that much (MnM is much better as a suppliment, not as a focus) and that analog gets me closer to what I want. Which is where the XS comes into play. I won't buy it for awhile though... it's just that I have a feeling I won't be able to resist in the long run. So basically, I'm ok with having gear sit around not in use these days when in the past I couldn't handle that. I have a lot to learn, but I'm feeling better about things on my new set of songs that I'm working on...and I'm trying to change my music making process, which is where the new gear comes into play. I'm giving it one last go all out... if not, I'll pair it down again and sob again. :lol:

bakeded
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bakeded » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 am

Last edited by bakeded on Tue May 12, 2009 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 am

JSRockit wrote: I've found that using a variety of gear (and using some analog machines) made it easier to get what I want and to get it to sound ok, even with my lack of production skills (I also decided to lay off compressing each track to f**k). The 888, MnM, and x0xb0x combo is really working out for me...and is getting me closer to what I want.
wow, I spent my walk home tonight listening to the 45 tribute that Actuel pulled together realizing there some stuff I love about a lot of the sounds, and a lot that I hate...Some of the sample mangling/glitchy stuff is awesome, and honestly, I think a lot of what people were doing with the MnM sounded hot. The place that got me, was that even on this, the cream of the MD crop, no one trully had the boom. If I have to ask, "is that full bodied enough" I have already answered the question, "no".

I am thinking I need to do two things, dump all my current samples, be way more specific about what I want to capture, and give the UW another more comprehensive go of it, or I need to move on, and get some analog drums...I just love to program with it, so it is highly probably that it will stay regardless...

I do think I need to make a better effort to move the MEK out of the studio, and replace it with either an MnM, Spectralis [I can't believe I didn't jump on the used one at Analog Haven last week that was like $1400] or actually an Orb + a mono synth, like LP, XS or Red square seems promising...I may also just build like a trio of x0x and have an acid fest till I cut loose from the fabric of time...

Oh, and JS, I think you should have kept your Sherman. :wink: Sherman + x0x = golden...

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:42 pm

A CP251 type unit with extra LFO that reaches audio range would be welcome. Slap a Bucket Brigade Device in there with CV and Clock for delay/flange/karplus-strong. I'd buy that for $550.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:26 pm

hyphen nation wrote: wow, I spent my walk home tonight listening to the 45 tribute that Actuel pulled together realizing there some stuff I love about a lot of the sounds, and a lot that I hate...Some of the sample mangling/glitchy stuff is awesome, and honestly, I think a lot of what people were doing with the MnM sounded hot. The place that got me, was that even on this, the cream of the MD crop, no one trully had the boom. If I have to ask, "is that full bodied enough" I have already answered the question, "no".

I am thinking I need to do two things, dump all my current samples, be way more specific about what I want to capture, and give the UW another more comprehensive go of it, or I need to move on, and get some analog drums...I just love to program with it, so it is highly probably that it will stay regardless...

...Oh, and JS, I think you should have kept your Sherman. :wink: Sherman + x0x = golden...
I don't know, I hear things on that comp that sound full and right... but then again, that comop was not all Elektron equipment, there was other stuff used. That said, I have heard people get booming BDs out of the MD... when I saw Autechre live, they opened the set with this straight miami hip-hop sounding beat that had the hugest kick drum. The difference between the MD and the 888 is that the 888 allows you to dial in harmonics, the MD is a plain type of boom (of course there are ways around it). The MD not working for me was more my fault than the machine, since people make it sound great all the time. I just needed a change.

I can tell you that when I listen to the Autechre stuff that is made with the MD (untilted), my subwoofer doesn't show much content.... but it still sounds right to me.

Sherman? Yeah, maybe, but I'm not really into the distorted 303 sound... I like mine with a little bit of reverb.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:21 pm

bakeded wrote:Anyone want to trade an XS for a 777 + cash?
Isn't a 777 worth more than a new XS?