Analog Sequencers and the Ms-20

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TRANSISTOR FACE

Analog Sequencers and the Ms-20

Post by TRANSISTOR FACE » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Hey guys,
I was just wondering what the options were for the ms-20 in terms of analog-style sequencing really. I know that there's the sq-10 out there that I could get second hand... but with only 12 steps, wouldn't that give me some weird time signature thing going on when I'd try to synch it when working in 4/4?

The doepfer maq 16/3 looks amazing but yeah, it doesn't seem like it outputs the right voltage to really get a good range of defineable pitches on the ms-20.

Anyways yeah, I was just wondering what the deal was with those.

Thanks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Analog Sequencers and the Ms-20

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:44 pm

First problem is that the MS-20 uses V/Hz pitch scaling and most sequencers will only do V/octave scaling.

Second problem is the MS-20 uses negative triggers and most sequencers will only do positive triggers.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:55 pm

with a v/hz synth as meatball said. you could get a paia fatman with a midi/cv built-in. it will work with your ms-20. and use the midi sequencer of your choice.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm

just find a MS-02 and you could use the MS-20 with anything..

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 pm

hfinn wrote:just find a MS-02 and you could use the MS-20 with anything..
that's a better answere then mine
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm working on a pocket sequencer that puts out CV/Gate suitable for both V/Oct and Hz/V with S-trig and V-trig interfacing. I'll try to get on with this weekend. Thread asap.

TRANSISTOR FACE

Post by TRANSISTOR FACE » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Yeah, right now I'm using the mobius sequencer on my ms-20 but I'm looking for something more in the likes of the maq 16/3 so that I could use two tracks to control the highpass and low pass filter for some cool effects.

The only way I could see that happening though is if I used the midi out of the maq-16/3 and put it into my kenton converter and then use the other two sequence lines' cv-out to control the filter... right? It just seems like there should be a more direct way. I guess that would be the ms-02 way huh? I'll have to look into that.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:38 pm

TRANSISTOR FACE wrote:Hey guys,
I was just wondering what the options were for the ms-20 in terms of analog-style sequencing really. I know that there's the sq-10 out there that I could get second hand... but with only 12 steps, wouldn't that give me some weird time signature thing going on when I'd try to synch it when working in 4/4?

The doepfer maq 16/3 looks amazing but yeah, it doesn't seem like it outputs the right voltage to really get a good range of defineable pitches on the ms-20.

Anyways yeah, I was just wondering what the deal was with those.

Thanks!
You could set the sq 10...8 or 4 steps.
The maq is not as good over CV/gate.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Most of the Analog step sequencers are not "quantized" (preset to put out notes only from the 12 tone scale) and do not care if the synth they are controlling has the Hz/Oct or V/Oct scaling, as the pots just put out a voltage. . Some fairly cheap options are the sequencer that is offered by the Curious Inventor or the Mochika Atomosynth, and even more expensive options such as the Doepfer A-155 could be used with either type of scaling.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 pm

I have an MS-02 but no analog sequencer to use with my 20. :(
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:08 pm

I use a Monome with a Kenton MIDI>CV box. There's maybe 5-8 apps currently that sequence MIDI and its guaranteed to have more soon.
What I'm trying to say is a computer with a VST sequencers or DAW in loop mode with a Kenton MIDI>CV box is pretty limitless.

But I also just recently got an MS-02 from a fellow list member and it is great for converting CV formats. Then like others said you can use any analog type sequencers at that point.

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:56 pm

sam wrote:
You could set the sq 10...8 or 4 steps.
The maq is not as good over CV/gate.
um the MAQ IS CV/Gate...or midi....just use a kenton converter. Or get a mobius or an SQ10 and only use 8 steps if you need 4/4 signature.