Korg RADIAS Discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
deathbycubicle
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3

Korg RADIAS Discontinued

Post by deathbycubicle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 pm

Just a heads up, I spoke with my local Guitar Center keyboard manager, and apparently the RADIAS has been discontinued. He told me he literally can't get any more, it comes up as discontinued in his system. However, there is still some stock available at some stores, and the online shops still have some.

Take this with a grain of salt (I don't know the first thing about GC's inventory system), but I wanted to let you all know in case you were planning on getting one...might want to act soon.

I know this synth isn't the most popular around here, but I bought one and think it sounds nice.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Re: Korg RADIAS Discontinued

Post by Hossinfeffa » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Maybe it's just a glitch in the system? The Radias is relatively new (I think) and don't see why they'd be discontinued. The sales can't be doing THAT bad. You still seem to be able to order it online from them, though.
Well fffff.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:31 pm

you can save a good $500 if you buy it used on craigslist:

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 pm

I guess this means keep an eye out for clearance.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:01 pm

GC blew out their remaining stocks of Radias last fall...it sure would be "discontinued" as far as they are concerned #-o

This isn't the first rumor of the Radias' demise. Still waiting for Korg to make an official announcement.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:06 pm

GC was blowing them out for $699 rack, $995 kb this time last year. I have not seen a Radias at any of the GC's here in Dallas/Ft. Worth in quote sime time. If you can find one @ GC, you might want to purchase it.

deathbycubicle
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm

I didn't realize they were blowing them out. My local GC has always had two on the showroom floor, even as recently as a few weeks ago. In fact, the whole reason I asked about them, was because they were gone. Then he looked on the computer and saw they were discontinued.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:27 pm

buy used, screw the man.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Considering Korg had to sell them for a lot less than they originally though they could get for them, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe the Super-Korg Midi-Koassilator will be coming at at NAMM 2009.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 pm

JSRockit wrote:Super-Korg Midi-Koassilator
If not NAMM then probablly AEE. :lol: (Adult Entertainment Expo)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:12 pm

Z wrote:GC was blowing them out for $699 rack, $995 kb this time last year. I have not seen a Radias at any of the GC's here in Dallas/Ft. Worth in quote sime time. If you can find one @ GC, you might want to purchase it.
Here in Canada Long & McQuades was blowing the rack out for $599, but then I found out they were all "returns" or B-Stock. That right there tells me they had lots of issues with this synth.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 pm

Z wrote:GC was blowing them out for $699 rack, $995 kb this time last year.
I really wonder why Europe's not getting a bit more love and prices drop to obscene depths there. No, it's not just taxes - we pay in Euros for the rack what you pay in dollars for the keyboard.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:41 am

Personally, I think Korg has dropped the ball on pretty much everything but the Oasys....
and considering it's like making a downpayment on a house, they better not have dropped the ball on that one.

The radias came out and I immediately felt they were trying to gimmick people into thinking it was something more than it was. Using terms like "Wavetable", knowing full well I'm sure people would relate that to the Waldorf/PPG sense, while Korg was in reality using the term in it's most literal, strict, and original definition (meaning pretty much ROM based sample play back). Numerous other things about the Radias (and subsequent R3) just spelled out epic fail to me.

I look at their current M3 and see the same thing. Initially I thought, BLIMEY, the HD1 engine of the Oasys ported over to become a workstation. The HD1 itself was a powerful beast, a darn Triton meets Wavestation meets a serious case of steroids and crack. But no, though they stress the M3s HD ineheritence, the amount the chopped off of the HD1 architecture was beyond astounding. I don't even know why they bothered trying to allude to the relation. Ultimate result (IMO), in comparison to the current Fantom and Motifs it amounted to epic FAIL.
I have no idea what Korg has been thinking recently.
I question if they've been thinking at all.

If anything, they seem to have a knack for producing low budget items with gimmicky control features that people love. Maybe they should just stick to cranking out Chaos Pads and DS-10s or something.

*I'll note I don't mean to say I think the Radias or R3 were bad synths, but more so underfeatured considering their price tag [most notably in the case of the Radias]....when compared to what else floated in their price range, they just didn't add up*

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:23 am

I hope they repackage the Radias. Same sound engine, same interface, just less of the garden chair aesthetic and wispy presets. The R3 looks pretty good, why did they have to make the Radias so ugly? I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see them give it a facelift, they did it with the MS2000/MS2000B and the first series Electribes/mkII.

Note to designers: Just cause apple have had many successful white products doesn't mean that everything needs to be white. Or silver.

deathbycubicle
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:24 am

23 wrote:The radias came out and I immediately felt they were trying to gimmick people into thinking it was something more than it was.
I guess it was impossible to have a Radias thread without somebody coming in and writing it off as c**p.

Yawn. I don't understand why people must always hate on Korg, and particularly the radias. I realize you've qualified your statments with the old "i don't mean to say they are bad synths" - but your comments allude to some idea that Korg isn't providing a good product. Was it overpriced at first? Yeah, but at $1200, the Radias is nice. Many people have tried it and don't care for its sound. Fair enough, but I played it expecting to hate it, and found that it sounded pretty damn good. Once you blow out all the c**p presets, you can start from scratch. Also Korg has provided the MicroKORG and MS2000 presets, which you can load onto your radias. For a nice clean modern sound, this synth is great....and actually if you want to get VA tones, you can.

I'm using mine for ambient drones and pads, much like I used an MS2000 I used to have. It's working well.