Big boutique brand market competition?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Big boutique brand market competition?

Post by Johnny Lenin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:17 pm

I was looking at the report on SYnthopia about the DSI MoPho, and I was wondering how such a product might shake up the bigi-name boutique synth brand market [for want of a better term; I'm thinking of the more established brands like DSI and Moog that aren't part of the big three, and which focus on the pro market]. I mean, I'm sure a $400 analog monosynth from DSI wouldn't have that much impact on the corporate strategies of the big three, but does it put DSI in a favourable position vis-a-vis Moog for a piece of the analog synth market pie? Is this a development that Moog, and others, will be watching closely and might feel it has to respond to?

I could be wrong, but it seems that Moog and DSI -- and maybe some others -- compete head-to-head in certain areas for what must be a fairly small market. I really don't know much about the synth business, but I suspect a $400 all-analog monosynth from a well-respected and presumably stable company like DSI could stir things up.

Any observations or speculation?

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Re: Big boutique brand market competition?

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 pm

I don't think there is a direct competition between Moog and DSI. DSI does not off 100% analog synths, they use DCO's and do not feature any CV ins/outs. DSI is on a roll with the bang for buck philosophy, but at the expense of having to use DCO's. All Moog has offered as a budget synth is the LP, which is twice as much as the DEVO.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:49 pm

i have no idea but if it ends up with affordable hardware that isn't 15+ years old and offers modern features

more importantly, knobs

i like knobs
w00t

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:a $400 all-analog monosynth
may be it's time for Studio Electronics to make a table top version of that.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:compete head-to-head in certain areas
Moog: performance-oriented monosynths, and the only compromise a rack version with all the knobs and a Phatty for the smaller budget.

DSI: performance-oriented polysynths and studio racks (e.g. they don't shy away from sacrificing parts of the UI if that means another segment for them).

It's why it'd be doubtful IMHO for Moog to ever come out with a LP rack. It's just not something that fits in the "performer" mindset, it'd move it more to the studio. For the Voy rack, it's an expander - but one with all the capabilities.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

deathbycubicle
Gear: machinedrum uw mk ii
nord lead 3

Post by deathbycubicle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:02 pm

DSI and Moog are apples & oranges to me.

They sound great together though.

More friends than enemies..

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:37 pm

In a way it is competition, as most of us only have so much to spend on Gear. The MoPho looks like an exremely cool product and it may be my next purchase. If I purchase the MoPho, I would not be able to purchase a Moog CP-251, MP-201, or another MF-107, as they are all in the same general price range, and these are all items that I was looking at purchasing before the MoPho came out. Yes, DSI uses different type of analog sound engine that Moog, and DSI does not use CV like Moog does, but there are only a certain amount of analog gear afficianados out there, so they both compete for the same users.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:DSI does not off 100% analog synths, they use DCO's and do not feature any CV ins/outs.
It is still an analog synth...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Noone thinks the MEK was in response to the LP?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Noone thinks the MEK was in response to the LP?
No.

Hair

Post by Hair » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, the MEK (and PEK) are probably more results of the prior model(s respectively) doing well enough to warrant making them.

I think a tabletop/rack LP would be great and sell awesomely - might hurt the MoPho, but I'd imagine it'd cost at least a couple hundred more so not to the point of the MoPho failing.

I also think Moog shouldn't be afraid of tabletop/rack (if they even are - though of course they aren't with the Voyager) because unlike the 70's, it seems most synth users aren't primarily keyboard players by trade. Though Live PA isn't immensely popular, it seems to be gaining steam, so tabletop isn't necessarily moving away from performance, either.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I do think both the MEK and the LP are aimed at the same generalized market. I think the amount of MEK vs. LP threads is proof of that. However, anyone who has owned both know they are very different synths but so are a Pro-One and a Source.

I think it is a fairly small but growing market. The companies are differentiated. DSI seems to focus on affordability and soem new and progressive ideas. Moog seems to focus more on higher end products and reproducing heritage type instruments with the added benefits of modern tech.

So they do compete for a similar market share but they offer different products. If your looking for other cheap alternatives to the mopho, MFB by interest you. I wouldn't hold my breath for a $400 moog monosynth.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Hair wrote:Yeah, the MEK (and PEK) are probably more results of the prior model(s respectively) doing well enough to warrant making them.

I think a tabletop/rack LP would be great and sell awesomely - might hurt the MoPho, but I'd imagine it'd cost at least a couple hundred more so not to the point of the MoPho failing.

I also think Moog shouldn't be afraid of tabletop/rack (if they even are - though of course they aren't with the Voyager) because unlike the 70's, it seems most synth users aren't primarily keyboard players by trade. Though Live PA isn't immensely popular, it seems to be gaining steam, so tabletop isn't necessarily moving away from performance, either.
I think if moog were to do a rack or desktop type synth they might get the best bang for their buck by doing a 3 (or more) voice rack expander for the LP. I'm sure more than a few people would be interested in a polyphonic moog. Of course it wouldn't be cheap.... but should be cheaper than 4 LP's.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:07 pm

JayEm wrote:
i like knobs
Easy tiger... ;)
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote:DSI does not off 100% analog synths, they use DCO's and do not feature any CV ins/outs.
It is still an analog synth...

Although essentially true in basic terms, there is a big difference between the 'synth on a chip', and discreet circuit style gear.

I think for one the Moog gear is considered 'boutique' due to the higher quality build, and the lack of CV on the DSI stuff (although the inputs can respond to it) makes the market areas blurred but still quite different at the far ends.

Although its not a big market I guess..... #-o

I think although Moog is well renowned it has quite a close following , whereas the DSI stuff is like the commercial side of the 'underground....?' synth market. DSI has buyers who are really into synths and people who are just in it for the analog fuss, whereas Moog is a bit too expensive for that and in terms of CV too complex for those who will be using MIDI. But I guess the exception would be the MEK and little phatty, they are always in competition.

Although yeah JS forget all the specific c**p..

It is still analog really... :oops:
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!