Calling all Prophet 08 owners!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soundwave

Calling all Prophet 08 owners!

Post by Soundwave » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Just a quickie! :)

I know the Evolver’s filter/mixer section doesn’t overdrive like on the Pro1/Prophet5 but does the Prophet 08’s filter/mixer overdrive at all as from what I can tell its based more around the Evolver more than the original Sequential synths?

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: Calling all Prophet 08 owners!

Post by iProg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:55 am

When I played it, I didn't notice any overdrive. Seems like a VCO issue w/ the EG's to me.
Don't worry!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Not sure if you get what I mean dude?

If you turn up the VCO levels on your Pro1 the filter charateristics change and the waveforms fatten up slighty being overdriven if you turn them down then you get a more subtle sound with more resonance.
This is designed into the old Moogs, Prophets and on some newer synths like the Waldorf Pulse.

I know this feature isn't on the Evolver but I'm wondering if they've incorporated it into the Prophet 08?

Does no one on here own a Prophet 08 or have they all gone on holiday or something? :o

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Soundwave wrote:If you turn up the VCO levels on your Pro1 the filter charateristics change and the waveforms fatten up slighty being overdriven...
My Pro~One does not do this. In fact, turning up both oscillators causes increased inter-modulation between the oscillators as the summed phase of one affects the other.(exceptions being Osc A is synced or only one is audible) This actually makes it less fat sounding part of the time. I suppose not all CEM3320's are created equal, but I've gone through two on my unit and not observed this, so I would be suprised if any of them do it.
Last edited by Solderman on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

DocT

Post by DocT » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 pm

There is a very slight saturation in the P'08 at high osc levels, but not comparable to what happens in the Pulse for example.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:29 pm

My P-5 doesn't overdrive with higher levels either. This isn't a "built-in" feature - not sure where you got this info.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 pm

It's not quite overdrive like on a Moog or Pulse as such but turning up the VCO levels does affect the resonance of the filter and subtly clips the wavefroms at high settings.

I've owned a Pro1 it does do this.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 pm

DocT wrote:There is a very slight saturation in the P'08 at high osc levels, but not comparable to what happens in the Pulse for example.
That's what I'm after thank you. :wink:

Niijaooh
Gear: A6, Jp-4, Jp-6, Chroma Polaris II, D-50, TX-7, MKS-50, MW 1.

Post by Niijaooh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 am

Soundwave wrote:
DocT wrote:There is a very slight saturation in the P'08 at high osc levels, but not comparable to what happens in the Pulse for example.
That's what I'm after thank you. :wink:
I can confirm this as well. If you for example turn of osc 2 and use the mixerknob to control the volume of osc 1 the filter changes characteristics. I wish one could control osc volumes indepently from each other, cus I like the cleaner sound aswell.

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 am

Niijaooh wrote:I wish one could control osc volumes indepently from each other, cus I like the cleaner sound aswell.
If both oscillators are active you can adjust the mix level via VCA-envelope amount.

Niijaooh
Gear: A6, Jp-4, Jp-6, Chroma Polaris II, D-50, TX-7, MKS-50, MW 1.

Post by Niijaooh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:19 pm

DocT wrote:
Niijaooh wrote:I wish one could control osc volumes indepently from each other, cus I like the cleaner sound aswell.
If both oscillators are active you can adjust the mix level via VCA-envelope amount.
Wow thanks, gotta try that when I get home, I thought osc1+osc2=100% when both are on no matter what. And topology wise I thought it was the VCA after VCF that was adjusted by the VCA amount, which I never understood why was even there as I change volume in the misc parameters. Also the manual only states "Env Amount: 0…127 – Sets the amount of VCA envelope to the VCA level."

Edit: Tried it and it only does what the manual says. If any saturation exsist at full env amount level it would be in the vca or the output amps. It doesn't change the dco mixer volume making it possible to control osc-filter amplitude balance when using both dcos, sadly... :cry:
Last edited by Niijaooh on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gd

Post by gd » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 pm

I concur with DocT, although yesterday we setup practice in a mid sized auditorium (@ 3000 capacity) the PA system (just over 10,000 watts) was very good. P'08 just blew us all away which was a pleasant surprise, its revealed a character that I had not really heard before because it has up to now just been in my studio. The complaint that seems to be prevalent (I stated it as well) about the amt. of knob twisting needed to affect the sound was very much negated, I found with the large sound system that I didn't have to twist that much to change the sounds. I did have to reprogram many of my patches as sounded great with headphones and studio monitors was not necessarily that good in this much larger venue - takes me back to the late 70's and early 80's with the MM and CS-80s. After we had finished was given permission to stay and play for another 45 minutes, I could have stayed all night. I luv the fact that there are no digital fx built into the P'08 - I have gone from thinking that this is a very good analogue bd for a great price to a great bd. and a fantastic price.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...