My polysynth is finally finished :D

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: My polysynth is finally finished :D

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:34 pm

kayvon wrote:Congratulations that man! It sounds great aswell. Here's hoping that you carry on with designing & making analogue synths in the future.
Yes... SOMEONE needs to start making a JP-8 clone... wink, wink, nudge, nudge. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:30 pm

The organ keys look awesome.

At first I was like huh this synth does speech? Just like everyone else I guess I can't hear the demo's till tomorrow or next month? Unless you post them somewhere else.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:40 pm

cornutt wrote:What an effort! Excellent! Tell us a bit about the VCO and VCF architecture.
Here is voice block diagram

All analog modules are based on previously existing designs available at various Synth DIY sites.

VCOs are based on Rene Schmitz designs - http://www.uni.bonn.de/~uzs159 , "VCO4" with some modifications.
Triangle waveshaper is a Moog circuit (single transistor wavefolder), described in "Voltage-controlled Electronic Music Modules" (available at moogarchives).

VCF is standard Moog ladder filter, based on Mini schematics.

VCAs are standard OTA-based circuits utilizing LM13700 chips.

Ring modulator is based on MC1496, schematics can be found for example at http://www.yusynth.net
yoozer wrote:How long did it take to finish everything, and how much do you estimate that it has costed you in raw materials?
Parts, circuit boards etc. cost me around $1600 - but I had case and keyboard for cheap ($100), and front panel had been done for me for free - these elements can raise cost a little bit. Also, horribly expensive MAX525 DACs used to generate keyboard CV were free samples.
As for time, it's difficult to tell, beause there were many versions, design changes etc. I started designing this thing about two years ago. And after doing this, I'm not surprised that guy from Jomox wants to discontinue SunSyn - indeed, building polysynth is often repair at the same time, and can be nightmare ;-)

For a while I've been thinking about making rack version and selling it (using only EGs designed by me to avoid firmware copyright issues), but it isn't easy to establish small electronic business in Poland (and, it seems generally in EU) - think about many certificates, permissions, and other things that aren't involved with DIY... and RoHS which isn't good for synths that have to live long.

Sharing design seems like good idea, but creating such page takes time, and I haven't much of it. But it's possible in the future.

I'll try to upload demos to other site.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Bummmer, I the acount on your snapdrive or whatever won't let me hear the sound samples. Looks GREAT though, I'm really jealous, I wanna build one, but don't have the time! or skill!

Good going, I'll get to hear the sound samples soon.
You should demo it on Sonic state Video, or Youtube.
S
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:30 pm

that...is...amazing.
& it sounds fantastic!

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 pm

Nice! Can't listen to the samples now, but I will later. From your user name, you should call it Adam's Tan. :D

oryjen

Post by oryjen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:35 pm

Aeally nice and original looking synth!
Seriously, you're a beast! =D>
Korg MS10-MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-ES50-P800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61-Volcas&Monotrons/Eko P15/YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9/RSF Bbox x2/Viscount CL1-R64/SCI Multitrack-P600/Roland GR500-SH1000/TimbreWolf/SX210/Mx3000

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:59 pm

Nice demo's. A special ranking should be bestowed upon you like Synth Jesus or something beyond Explorer.

I name thee synthesizer the "Sonance AS-5", or "Seer AS-5". Now venture forth and destroy all your enemies and kick someone in the chest for extra credit.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 am

listened to the demos and

you, sir, made an analog polysynth =D>
god elton can't you suck

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:27 am

Unreal... :shock:

its the Hella phatty!
for sale/trade: EML-101

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 am

That. Is. Awesome.

Great job, sir. Makes me want to build one myself but I have a hard time setting up racks so I'm hardly skillful for manual work.

=D> !

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:09 am

Congratulations and great respect to you for your hard work. This is an outstanding creation with a pristine sound.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 am

Wow. Who would have thought that someone could build an analog polysynth from scratch in this day and age. Bravo! =D>

The samples are interesting. The leads and bass sounds are definitely Moogish, but the strings and pads have more of an Oberheim vibe.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 am

cornutt wrote:The samples are interesting. The leads and bass sounds are definitely Moogish, but the strings and pads have more of an Oberheim vibe.
Funny you mentioned that, because I thought that too. It's like how the Andromeda has Oberheim and Moog copy filters in it.

Wonderful job creating it! It looks snazzy and sounds even better. If they were being mass produced it would really be on my "to buy" list. ;) I looked up the B-1 and the only thing I can find is a Teisco B combo. It has a smaller number of keys, but the bottom frame looks roughly the same.

I noticed you said you spent roughly $1600 on parts for building this. That shows roughly how much it costs to create an analog synth of this power today. But if you compare it to a Prophet 08, they sell new for $2000. Estimating, I'd say the Prophet parts would cost more money, but it almost seems like DSI is making little profit. $100-$400 profit on each sale, perhaps. Even then, some of that is taken out for the store that sells it. Eh.. I'm not good this kind of stuff. Perhaps someone smarter could make sense of what I'm trying to say? :P
Well fffff.