Macbeth X Factor

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: Macbeth X Factor

Post by hfinn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Possible. It actually looks like it may be that way. Although it doesn't seem that you could disconnect any from keyboard CV like you can on a mini. Overall it looks like a great synth though.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 am

that render pic and text has been on the site for ages. i so no update so far. or im missing something? ive been waiting for this too. im afraid its gonna be very expensive. probably in the range of getting the actual model D. which doesnt mean i wouldnt prefer this, if its gonna sound the way its supposed to. mind you, i dont care if it will soudn like model D, just that it posesses the organic, saturated warmth that almost uniformly existed wihtin analog instruments of the early 70s era.. be it yamaha SY-2, ARP2600, sytem101 etc etc..

as for moog music, i disagree they use "this approach" with OS. only on the outside, if u are reffering to lack of memory, and knobby interface. but thats it. were talking specific components and circuit design here. OS has exact same circuitry as Voyager, and there is nothing vintage about it. esp not the sound. which is even more evident with any attempt to play it next to a model D, or anything from that era.

im glad at least one of the manufacturers is aware of the difference of character and behaviour btwn most "new analog" boards and yesteryear machines. to a point Studio Electronics also are aware of this.. theyre adressing the issue at least in some areas - as it was evident when they started offering a discrete VCA option for some of their machines... a feature almost unique to old minimoog and moog modulars. and indeed it does help get closer to the ballpark of 70s mojo. or whatever u wanna call it.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:09 am

hfinn wrote:Although it doesn't seem that you could disconnect any from keyboard CV like you can on a mini.
Yeah, the M3X was limited in the same way, too.

The X-Factor will be expensive, Ken talked about the price on the Macbeth-Yahoo group. I have already spent my X-Factor savings, but I wish I can try one out sometime.

- CM

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 pm

So pretty expensive, huh. Either way, this synth is the real deal. For some reason I didn't get a long with the M3X and find the X Factor much more attractive as it doesn't seem to cut corners. Not sure what the price is, but I'm sure that won't cut corners either. :mrgreen: I'd get this over a Voyager for sure though. If it's in the Voyager price bracket, I think this will be a no brainer.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

lotus-eater

Post by lotus-eater » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:57 pm

When this synth was first announced, I was really excited about it. I have no first hand experience with a MacBeth instrument, but his reputation precedes him; and there's just something about a 3.5 octave keyboard that I find really appealing. Each new piece of info about the X-Factor's specs only increased my lust for it. That is until Ken announced that the keyboard wouldn't have digital scanning, and thus no 'last note' priority setting. Having been raised on the modern analogue synths (Studio Electronics, DSI, Alesis Andromeda), rather than the vintage classics, I really don't think I could do without this feature -- I simply never turn it off, and synths that lack it feel almost broken to me. I know the X-Factor is going to sound bloody incredible, but it was going to sound bloody incredible with digital key scanning in place. And the lack of it has actually raised the price. I had such high hopes for this thing.

I'm sure this won't bother most people one bit.