Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Worst.. hardware sequencer.. EVER

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:29 pm

urbanscallywag wrote:The worst:

Kawai Q-80 sounded nice and powerful with lots of tracks and motifs and such, but it did the opposite of inspire. Sold and never missed it.
I'd have to disagree, those are among the better hardware sequencers. I found that keeping it to 8 tracks it made a nice interactive sequencer for live performance. Switching through the matrix was not fast enough for muting/ dropping in parts. I used a Q80 and Q80EX together so there was an actual button for each track. It was a bit awkward to move stuff over via MIDI files. So I'm hoping one of the Emu Command stations will be a neater solution for gigging, or possibly Ableton with a laptop.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:24 pm

i think oliver lieb was a big fan of the Q-80ex for live performance. if i remember correctly, he had one when he did a live PA at bassrush in Louisville many years ago.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Bought this from a 2nd hand shop as a teenager it was my first ever sequencer and a pretty shitty one at that.

urbanscallywag

Post by urbanscallywag » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:17 pm

madtheory wrote:
urbanscallywag wrote:The worst:

Kawai Q-80 sounded nice and powerful with lots of tracks and motifs and such, but it did the opposite of inspire. Sold and never missed it.
I'd have to disagree, those are among the better hardware sequencers. I found that keeping it to 8 tracks it made a nice interactive sequencer for live performance. Switching through the matrix was not fast enough for muting/ dropping in parts. I used a Q80 and Q80EX together so there was an actual button for each track. It was a bit awkward to move stuff over via MIDI files. So I'm hoping one of the Emu Command stations will be a neater solution for gigging, or possibly Ableton with a laptop.
Yeah...I didn't get it. :)

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:52 pm

If the built in sequencer of the Roland D-20 count as a hardware sequencer, it gets my vote.
There are no edit possibilities at all except for quantizing :cry:

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Soundwave wrote:Image

Bought this from a 2nd hand shop as a teenager it was my first ever sequencer and a pretty shitty one at that.
I once borrowed one of those off of a friend of mine. Made me wonder why I called him a "friend". Quick Disks and an interface as grokable as sanskrit. Utterly useless, and a very good choice for worst ever.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:29 pm

I have this supercrap 80's midi sequencer... Yamaha QX-5FD

It's absolutely awful.

But then again it's musical, whereas the MC-202 sequencer is NOT.
Monkey business since 2007!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:50 pm

I didn't mind the MC-202 and the TB-303 looks ok to program... wasn't a big fan of the acidlab bassline 1 way of programming. I remember the MC-303 being lame to program...and an older Yamaha QY as well... Nanoloop always bugged me as well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

alpha5000dk
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm

About the Kawai Q-80, I've owned two of these and they are very easy, intuitive and steady as a rock. Never had any issues with 'em, except running out of memory because of a song my friend and I didn't quantize or made any motifs for. We recorded everything into it live as it were played :wink:

Frayo
Gear: An assortment of about 45 synths/samplers/drum machines from 1978-1990.....and a Blofeld and an Ultranova.

Post by Frayo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:38 am

cornutt wrote:It's funny, but I remember how clumsy building sequences seemed on the Drummulator, and it was probably pretty good compared to a lot of its contemporaries. But for ease of editing, give me software any day.
I am not a veteran of sequencer use. I have used very few hardware machines. I do use Jazz and I had a blast with it. I do prefer to use hardware over software because my computer...is evil. It likes to stop recognizing all connected MIDI hardware at random. It also has a very noisy and hissy sound card that likes to vary in noisyness at random as well.

But I would have to say my first real sequencer is the Drumulator. It's clumsy and confusing...and editing it in real time is a very weird experience for me every time. I usually give up trying to shoot for something and put a bunch of random events in it. With that and MIDI, the machine spits out something cooler than what I was originally shooting for in the first place.

I wouldn't say it's a bad sequencer...giving the things I've heard in this thread, I have yet to see a bad sequencer. In fact, I see this thread as a buyers guide on what to stay away from. I'm going to shoot for a Roland MC-500.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:00 am

The orignal Korg Triton. Mainly for its c**p step sequencing, couldn't do crud on it without an outside seq. Prob the #1 reason I sold it. I'd rather seq on tb-303, and for those who do think tb-303s are a piece of cake, try it on a real tb-303 sometime. Not saying its anywhere near the worst, but its pretty far from the best. Next in line is Radikal Tech Spectralis, its just insane, it don't suck, it does a lot more than many hardware seqs, just not an easy learn, not easy at all, its the opposite of easy.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:31 am

My vote goes to Yamaha QY 10 as to Only Hardware Sequencer Which Cannot Play A# Note And Instead It Plays B (maybe mine is broken, but I don't think so).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Frayo
Gear: An assortment of about 45 synths/samplers/drum machines from 1978-1990.....and a Blofeld and an Ultranova.

Post by Frayo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Zamise wrote:The orignal Korg Triton. Mainly for its c**p step sequencing, couldn't do crud on it without an outside seq. Prob the #1 reason I sold it. I'd rather seq on tb-303, and for those who do think tb-303s are a piece of cake, try it on a real tb-303 sometime. Not saying its anywhere near the worst, but its pretty far from the best. Next in line is Radikal Tech Spectralis, its just insane, it don't suck, it does a lot more than many hardware seqs, just not an easy learn, not easy at all, its the opposite of easy.
But damn, the spectralis sure does LOOK sweet.

alpha5000dk
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm

I suddenly remember I once had a Roland MC-50 with mkII OS for a short periode. I never figured out how to use it. Never got anything made with it. Might be even worser than the D-20's built-in sequencer. I HATE menu diving on Roland instruments :evil:
Last edited by alpha5000dk on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:36 pm

While not necessarily the worst I would have to nominate the onboard sequencer on the Roland XP50! I finally quit trying because I would get tired and frustrated and any musical ideas were lost.
Easiest for me is the sequencer on the Ensoniq VFX-SD amd the Ensoniq EPS. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric